Chili: Discuss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chili: Beans or No Beans

• Beans

• No Beans

• What?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Chili pie... take your best chili and put it into a casserole dish, cover with a generous layer of shredded cheese and fresh chilies, then add dollops of your favorite cornbread batter on top and bake. YUM!

The chili my wife makes always has beans, in fact I've never seen any chili around here without beans in it...maybe its a Maine/New England thing.

My favorite chili the wife makes is with venison instead of beef, especially after the November hunting season when its nice and fresh. Sometimes we will have moose or bear chili, but venison really stands out as a good one.

The chili my wife makes always has beans, in fact I've never seen any chili around here without beans in it...maybe its a Maine/New England thing.

Go to a chili cook-off competition, beans will get you DQ'd there.

traditionally their are no beans in chili. I'm not saying I don't like it with beans (beans are a "super food") but as tradition has it, no beans.

I do red, white, green chilli. Rarely make it the same way twice, but always with beans of some sort.

Usually use cubed meat braised with some kind of beer or wine.

There are some categories now that allow and even require beans. Back when I was competing in the early nineties there was only the red chili category. Here are the rules...

The Rules and Regulations for cooks at the World’s Championship, State, Regional and District Cookoffs are as follows:

1. Traditional Red Chili is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats,
cooked with red chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA
which are strictly forbidden.

2. Chili Verde is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats, cooked
with green chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA which
are strictly forbidden.

3. Salsa must be homemade by the contestant whose name and ICS # appear on the Contestant Application. It may be brought to the site that day or it may be prepared at the Cookoff.

4. Homestyle Chili is defined by the International Chili Society as the cook's favorite combination of ingredients resulting in a dish seasoned with chili peppers and spices.

5. No ingredient may be pre-cooked in any way prior to the commencement of the official cookoff. The only excep-
tions are canned or bottled tomatoes, tomato sauce, peppers, pepper sauce, beverages, broth and grinding
and/or mixing of spices. Meat may be treated, pre-cut or ground. The ICS does not prefer one over the other.
MEAT MAY NOT BE PRE-COOKED, in any manner. All other ingredients must be chopped or prepared during the preparation period.

6. You must be an ACTIVE ICS member to compete in any ICS competition including Traditional Red Chili, Chili
Verde and Salsa. You must be at least 18 years old.

7. The cooking period will be a minimum of 3 hours and a maximum of 4 hours. The exact starting and ending of the cooking period is to be announced by each local sponsoring organization. Cooking during entire cooking period is at the sole discretion of the contestant.

8. A representative of the sponsoring organization shall conduct a contestant’s meeting, at which time final instructions are to be given and questions answered, no later than 1 hour prior to the official starting time of the cookoff.

9. Contestants are responsible for supplying all of their own cooking utensils, etc. and should be prepared to provide a fire extinguisher and washing station, as they may be required by the sponsoring organization. The sponsors of the cookoff will provide an area for each contestant.

10. Each contestant must cook a minimum of two quarts of competition chili prepared in one pot which will be submitted for judging. Sharing or splitting Chili, Chili Verde or Salsa for judging with another contestant for the purpose of increasing the number of entries in any event will result in suspension of ICS membership for a minimum of one year. Any cookoff chairman, chief judge or scorekeeper knowingly allowing cheating in any way at their event will result in non-sanctioning of their event the following year, no exceptions.

11. People's Choice Chili is governed by the SPONSORING ORGANIZATION and cookoff chairman of each cookoff, NOT THE ICS. The chairman can require (a) 2 gallons maximum in lieu of a cash entry fee; (b) 1 gallon maximum in addition to a cash entry fee or (c) a cash fee. Non-compliance by a contestant of the chairman’s requirement will result in disqualification. Discrimination by cookoff officials will result in non-sanctioning of their event the following year. PEOPLE’S CHOICE CHILIL MUST CONTAIN BEANS.

12. Each contestant will be assigned a contestant’s number by the Chief Scorekeeper and given an official 32 oz. ICS judging cup. In order for a cook to receive the judging cup for their specific contest, they must sign the contestant list and provide their active ICS membership number. Each contestant should verify that the number on the bottom of their cup is the same as their assigned contestant number. Each contestant is responsible to deliver their cup, which must be filled to the bottom of the cup’s rim, to the judging area at the official time for judging.

13. Judges will be told that they should vote for the chili, as defined by the ICS, based on the following major
considerations: good chili flavor, texture of the meat, consistency, blend of spices, aroma and color.

Rules & Regulations 06/2013

banger, I mean this in the best possible way (not a dig at all)... I would have bet $50 and won that you have competed in a chili cook-off ;).

I'd bet another $50 you've done a bbq tournament or two as well.

Go to a chili cook-off competition, beans will get you DQ'd there.

Only the ones that don't allow beans.

I've made sourdough with sour beer blend, a mix of yeast and lacto. Sorry for the terrible pic.

I took the trub from one of my sour beers and fed it flour and water for a couple of weeks. Then, I made a bunch of great bread with it.

2011-12-18_at_11_22_18-55250.jpg

Do this, I will.

I mean this as a serious question, for those of you that insist that chili should have beans in it, have you ever had a killer bowl of red terlingua-style chili?

As someone who can't fathom preferring bean-stew over chili (note that I'm saying preferring, I will still eat it with beans but I won't make it), I'm just wondering if people are saying beans out of tradition, culture, region, or actual informed preference?

I'm just thinking that even in my semi-southern region, only a few rare places actually serve real chili here, so I'm wondering if people just don't have the opportunity to try traditional chili con carne very often.

I like both versions but when I make it I use beans. I just like the thickness that they add.

There's no wrong way to make it if it's for your own consumption.

I mean this as a serious question, for those of you that insist that chili should have beans in it, have you ever had a killer bowl of red terlingua-style chili?

As someone who can't fathom preferring bean-stew over chili (note that I'm saying preferring, I will still eat it with beans but I won't make it), I'm just wondering if people are saying beans out of tradition, culture, region, or actual informed preference?

I'm just thinking that even in my semi-southern region, only a few rare places actually serve real chili here, so I'm wondering if people just don't have the opportunity to try traditional chili con carne very often.

I think you pose a very good question. I think I make chili the way I make it because thats how my late grandmother used to make it. I suppose you could call that "cultural" though I wouldnt be surprised if she had originally found the recipe in a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.

With that said, I am sure if I had a bowl of your chili I would be blown away as well. I think there is enough room under the umbrella "chili" to have pretty wildly differing products that are co-equal.

I don't eat "around the beans", so I'd say I seriously do prefer them in there. Further, I like the feel of the beans in the mix. To be fair though, it's been a long time since I've had chili without beans.

I'm making chili this weekend!

BTW, Revvy posted a great looking chili recipe on here a while back. I'll see if I can find it.

[edit] looks like Revvy mostly copied this Good Eats recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pressure-cooker-chili-recipe/index.html

No beans.

I have made "Texas Red" that stood on it's own without beans or noodles! It was fantastic.

It was, however, 43.2% BETTER when I added some homecooked beans and served it over noodles.

I'd love to make up a pot this weekend, but I've already committed to making a giant batch of wings in honor of the Buffalo/Washington game saturday.

Cool!

Recently I have had sauceless wings, and kinda like sauceless ribs, I am becoming convinced!

Not trying to change your plans.

Barnesie said:
I'd love to make up a pot this weekend, but I've already committed to making a giant batch of wings in honor of the Buffalo/Washington game saturday.

Do both. Mmmm...chili wings. :D

Barnesie said:

I've had chili alot of different ways, but I just prefer it with beans. Although I wouldn't insist that beans should be in chili, I just don't like chili without them. Just my personal preference.

Please describe this "Terlingua style" chili (other than sans beans), I'm curious as to the flavour(s) & contents...
I've never heard of it before.
Regards, GF.

ON a sidenote.....

My chili beans are ALWAYS home soaked cranberry beans usually seasoned with lots of things, but a pork bone or the like as a main seasoning.

Recently I have made the beans vegetarian, with 4 large roasted bells in place of the meat, and simmer them in until they fall apart (the whole cook time).

It is fantastic. I still add them to my MEAT chili, but I could see entirely meatless chili being OK.

+1 on using leftover steak or the like instead of ground meat.

I make Chilli Con Carne for my woman all the time. Trouble is she is vegetarian and hates spicy food therefore the dish ends up as nothing but a Con.

At least the box says "all natural"

The kit isn't bad. Just all the spices in little premeasured bags. I probably have all the spices in my rack already, but if you've had a few beers and don't feel like measuring or doing math, it is pretty good. Beef, beans, a little tomato sauce...boom, chili to keep a drunkard happy.

Oh yeah, as a former Marine I have to point out that Chili-Mac is the food of the Gods.

Man, that was always our favorite day of the week, when the chow hall served Chili-Mac.

I'd wager that Chili-Mac has been around a lot longer than some stuffy International Chili Federation or whatever. So there!

The kit isn't bad. Just all the spices in little premeasured bags. I probably have all the spices in my rack already, but if you've had a few beers and don't feel like measuring or doing math, it is pretty good. Beef, beans, a little tomato sauce...boom, chili to keep a drunkard happy.
Measure, smeasure one of the things i love about cooking is i follow no rules, do what tastes good!:mug:

Measure, smeasure one of the things i love about cooking is i follow no rules, do what tastes good!:mug:

After a few beers I need a little help, or else I'd wind up with smoking cayenne meat loaf with beans dripping from the ceiling and the smoke detector shrilly sounding BEEP BEEP BEEP. Doesn't make for a relaxing Friday evening.

Because of this thread I ended up making an overnight crockpot chili (with beans) and Alton Brown's pressure cooker chili with beef stew meat.

I just had the latter. Man, that was tasty. The chipotle and adobe sauce and browned steak gave it a smokey flavor. Thick... could be served on rice. But, I miss the beans.

My "standard" recipe (my wife's actually, who is out of town at the moment) is simmering away at this moment.

Back