Soup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds healthy to me. My wife is not a big fan of my chile, but we use pork leftovers, smoked or oven roasted, to make posole pretty often.

It was really good. We had about 20 minutes before trick or treating started, so I ended up with a burnt tongue. Totally worth it!

Got some goulasch in the making...

Attachments

• IMG_20231109_140727.jpg
    IMG_20231109_140727.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
smoked a turkey for US Tgiving, and making smoked turkey broth tonight with the carcass. will incorporate into a Northern white bean based soup tomorrow, thought had considered a green Lentil based soup instead.

split pea and smoked ham hocks is a personal favorite, and i should be making a batch again in the coming week or two.

I'm wanting to expand my soup making repertoire a bit so as to make a wider variety of great soups that are also more health conscious. some kind of curry soup seems like it should be perfect for the winter months ahead

I also have many beef rib bones remaining from smoked beef ribs, so will be making a stock from these for future use this winter

smoked a turkey for US Tgiving, and making smoked turkey broth tonight with the carcass. will incorporate into a Northern white bean based soup tomorrow, thought had considered a green Lentil based soup instead.

split pea and smoked ham hocks is a personal favorite, and i should be making a batch again in the coming week or two.

I'm wanting to expand my soup making repertoire a bit so as to make a wider variety of great soups that are also more health conscious. some kind of curry soup seems like it should be perfect for the winter months ahead

I also have many beef rib bones remaining from smoked beef ribs, so will be making a stock from these for future use this winter
Don't forget seafood! I make a simple seafood stock with the used carcass of lobster during the summer. Plus it's healthy.

I rip out the carcass and plate the lobster and while we're eating I throw it into a Instapot with a little bit of apple cider vinegar for 20 minutes. Times out perfectly as you finish eating take a handheld blender and separate any herbs out and blend the vegetables. Comes out creamy without the use of dairy. You can also do it with shrimp.

I made about a quart and a half of cream of mushroom soup, using some dried mushrooms I bought at an Asian market a couple of months ago. (I buy stuff because it looks interesting, then don't know what to do with it) The mushroom-looking ones I think were shitakes. The others were "black fungus", a.k.a. "tree ears". I used about equal parts of each. I soaked them in hot water for an hour, then chopped them up and sautéed them in butter with the shallots. I used the soaking water for broth.

Turns out, the tree ears never really get soft (they do soften to a point but then stay kind of rubbery no matter how long you cook them) and have no flavor, they absorb whatever flavors are in the broth and add texture. 😂 The soup was still good from the shitakes, shallots, and a small beef bouillon cube. And it has a lot of fiber.

I'll make this again soon using all shitakes (I bought a *big* package of them) and try to find some other use for the ears.

I made about a quart and a half of cream of mushroom soup, using some dried mushrooms I bought at an Asian market a couple of months ago. (I buy stuff because it looks interesting, then don't know what to do with it) The mushroom-looking ones I think were shitakes. The others were "black fungus", a.k.a. "tree ears". I used about equal parts of each. I soaked them in hot water for an hour, then chopped them up and sautéed them in butter with the shallots. I used the soaking water for broth.

Turns out, the tree ears never really get soft (they do soften to a point but then stay kind of rubbery no matter how long you cook them) and have no flavor, they absorb whatever flavors are in the broth and add texture. 😂 The soup was still good from the shitakes, shallots, and a small beef bouillon cube. And it has a lot of fiber.

I'll make this again soon using all shitakes (I bought a *big* package of them) and try to find some other use for the ears.
Those tree ears, or cloud‘s ears are common in Chinese cuisine, and yes they do add texture.

Sounds a lot better than the haggis I used to eat at a friend's house.
Had the Cullen Skink last night it was lovely. For tonight which is Burns Night we’re having Haggis wrapped in chicken thighs and then bacon. To be served with mashed tatties, veg and a red wine sauce rather than whisky sauce as I’m not keen on whisky.

Had the Cullen Skink last night it was lovely. For tonight which is Burns Night we’re having Haggis wrapped in chicken thighs and then bacon. To be served with mashed tatties, veg and a red wine sauce rather than whisky sauce as I’m not keen on whisky.
The wrapped haggis sounds interesting.

Something I like about soup is that it an be frozen and saved for later. Yesterday I thawed a quart of pumpkin soup I made in December. I made enough to freeze 3 quart bags of soup, so I'm down to 2. But I'm also down to three weeks before I leave to join my wife in France so I'm trying to eat all the stuff in the freezer. I think tomorrow will be another posole night, thawed from the freezer.

@corkybstewart
I think you e mentioned in this thread that you occasionally drive to Tucson.
If that’s the case please eat at El Minuto Cafe. It’s right across the street from the convention center.
As a life long connoisseur of Mexican food, it’s the only Mexican restaurant where I will order soup.

All of them are good but my faves are the cazuela (carne seca base) and the caldo de queso (light broth w potatoes, cheese and green chiles.

I was in Tucson last November for a long weekend and because of family stuff and scheduling, I didn't get a chance to eat there. Man, was I bummed out.

@corkybstewart
I think you e mentioned in this thread that you occasionally drive to Tucson.
If that’s the case please eat at El Minuto Cafe. It’s right across the street from the convention center.
As a life long connoisseur of Mexican food, it’s the only Mexican restaurant where I will order soup.

All of them are good but my faves are the cazuela (carne seca base) and the caldo de queso (light broth w potatoes, cheese and green chiles.

I was in Tucson last November for a long weekend and because of family stuff and scheduling, I didn't get a chance to eat there. Man, was I bummed out.
I'm 3 hours from Tucson, I routinely have medical appointments there so I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

A few of the club members took the motorcycles out in the sub- 40° Monday tor ride out East (Long Island) for a Ramen lunch. Had the basic shoyu ramen - mmmmm and bone warming. Made the ride back home in that bright sunshine a lot more enjoyable.

sorry no pics of the Ramen, but a pic of the bike when I got back home

IMG_1314.jpeg

Last summer my BIL planted about 200 leeks in our yard in France but only harvested about 175, leaving the ones that were too small. So when my wife came back in December she had plenty of leeks in the back yard to use for her soups. The day before yesterday I dug up the last 10 of them, none of them very big, but still very usable. She made soup with them for dinner, with ta bag of wilted lettuce, some leftover grated carrots, germinating potatoes and half a can of diced tomatoes. Basically she cleaned up the fridge. I made a stock from a rotisserie chicken and here's the pic. It was very, very good for a cold, windy rainy night.
20240324_195159.jpg

I made a pot of red beans yesterday and a pan of cornbread. The beans were pretty juicy so I think that qualifies as soup. ;) It was an experiment to see if the flavor packet from a package of pork ramen noodles would work to flavor the beans instead of making a broth from a hambone or smoked pork neck bones. I soaked a half a pound of dried beans, then cooked them with a couple of dried chipotle peppers (the little dark-colored morita style). The chipotles provided the smoke that was missing from the ramen. When they were done I added a chopped onion, some chopped celery, the flavor packet, thyme, garlic, half a 15oz can of diced tomatoes, and some black pepper, and cooked for another half hour.

The flavor packet was adequate but not great. Overall the beans were pretty good. I will do this again but add a slice of bacon at the beginning of the boil like I do with fresh green beans. It's a lot easier and cheaper than cooking a pound of neck bones, and with the bacon I think it'll be close.

The ramen noodles didn't go to waste, I cooked them without seasoning and added cheese and a splash of milk to make something like mac-n-cheese.

I also figured out how to reheat cornbread so it's not dry -- steam it in a vegetable steamer. It's not quite as fast as the microwave, but it's fast enough and the cornbread comes out fresh and tender.

Latest posts

Back