Soup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Completely forgot a picture but made a creamy kale soup tonight.
Homemade chicken, turkey, and veggie stocks. Sausage, bacon ends, leeks, sweet potato, corn and kale. Turned out fantastic and all the veggies besides the sweet potato were frozen fresh from last summer. Wife said it was the best I’ve made, so I’ll take that.

My Polish grandmother. who passed away around 40 years ago, used to make something she called Kapusta. Translated it just means cabbage, but her dish was much more than that. More like a stew, made with cabbage, kielbasa, tomatoes, and potatoes, and who knows what else. So a few years ago I made up an easy soup recipe that borrows some of the flavors, (and memories), from her kapusta. Since it was a cool chilly day today I decided to make it today to warm us up.

View attachment 785823

D
Do you know someone who "does know what else" and would be willing to share that info?

Well, update. My wife recently reached out to a cousin of mine who I haven't seen in probably 40 years. Turns out he has my grandmother's "kapusta" recipe. He emailed it, and a dozen other of our grandmother's recipes. So my wife and I made it today. **Flashback:1970** Just like I remembered it, except for the Hillshire Farms kielbasa. It's just not cutting it. I did find a European meat market/deli about an hour or so away. Since it's on our way to our daughter's I'll stop in next time we visit.

Today's soup, more like a stew consistency since it's made with a cup of shortening and a cup of flour. Served it with a slice of rye bread, just like we always used to do.

(not a great pic)
IMG-2558.jpg

Getting ready for soup season here. We had some borderline veggies, mostly leeks and peppers, to use up and an absolute ton of ginger, so I made a gingery peppery vegetable broth for some flavor for soups to be made this winter. For completely winging it, I like it and my wife loved it. Was a test batch, so only two pint jars but it’s gonna be made again.
IMG_0627.jpeg

Getting ready for soup season here. We had some borderline veggies, mostly leeks and peppers, to use up and an absolute ton of ginger, so I made a gingery peppery vegetable broth for some flavor for soups to be made this winter. For completely winging it, I like it and my wife loved it. Was a test batch, so only two pint jars but it’s gonna be made again.
View attachment 830589
I wish my wife could eat pepper but it tears her up. She eats jalapeños and green chile, but they are unrelated.

I wish my wife could eat pepper but it tears her up. She eats jalapeños and green chile, but they are unrelated.
I don’t even know what peppers we all had. A couple Anaheim, a poblano or two, some “waxy” variety I’d never had before and an oddly not hot habanero variety that just held good pepper flavor. Plus some random sweet peppers and Thai hot peppers. The broth tasted good enough that I’m going to do an actual soup like that next fall.

We made a lentil soup for dinner tonight and the next few as well.

View attachment 830640
I made a "small batch" of pumpkin soup last week-it took 4 days to finish it, even with me having a bowl for breakfast each day.
What is the green leaf in your soup? We eat a lot of lentils after the weather gets cooler, but right now it's still close to 90F at dinnertime here.

I don’t even know what peppers we all had. A couple Anaheim, a poblano or two, some “waxy” variety I’d never had before and an oddly not hot habanero variety that just held good pepper flavor. Plus some random sweet peppers and Thai hot peppers. The broth tasted good enough that I’m going to do an actual soup like that next fall.
My wife could eat all of that, but a sprinkle of black pepper on top would make her sick for 2 days. I really miss black pepper in my food.

I made a "small batch" of pumpkin soup last week-it took 4 days to finish it, even with me having a bowl for breakfast each day.
What is the green leaf in your soup? We eat a lot of lentils after the weather gets cooler, but right now it's still close to 90F at dinnertime here.
The greens are baby spinach added after flame out.

The greens are baby spinach added after flame out.
Lentil soup is a stable at our house. My last batch, made a few days ago, I threw in baby spinach along with the rest of ingredients, lentils, onions, carrots, okra (yes, okra), water and spices. Served with cilantro sauce and hot sauce.

My wife has a more dedicated recipe but I tend to throw in whatever is in the frig and it works for me.

Even though it’s a sunny 70 degree fall day here it just seemed like a good day for some homemade cream of cauliflower soup. We have a subscription for a weekly large box of fresh fruits and vegetables from a local farm, so we had a recently-picked head of cauliflower, carrots, and onion ready to be used for something. A bowl of soup and a buttered crusty hard roll really hit the spot.

IMG_3380.jpeg

A friend gave me a pumpkin from his garden last month. I was planning on waiting for a cold day but I gave up waiting for summer to end so I cut it into small chunks and roasted it. It was a small pumpkin but it took us 3 days to eat the soup I made with half of it. I used some veggies that were way past their prime-carrots, lettuce, potatoes, and tomatoes. I bought some leeks but they aren't nearly as good as our garden leeks in France. It turned out pretty good but not my best effort.

If you like cajun flavors, a great soup starter is a can of Blue Runner Creole Cream Style Beans. A buddy of mine turned me on to that when he made a killer soup on a campout. The small can of either Pinto or Navy is all you need. No need to add any salt or other spices at all and it's good every time. You could make soup out of popcorn and dandelions and it would be delicious.:yes:
https://bluerunnerfoods.com/

My wife made a white chilli a while back, chicken and white bean with mild chilli spices. I would say that was a chicken soup that did not taste like chicken soup.
We just did a white chicken chili last night... used this recipe:

https://minimalistbaker.com/creamy-white-bean-chicken-chili-1-pot/
We've made it several times... usually end doubling it. It comes together pretty quickly and doesn't take much time on the stove. Most tedious step is cutting up the chicken.

Last we had summer temps and this weeks feels like fall so I can see a pot of soup in the near future.

Yeah, we got the same temp swings down here in SoCal... Cool, overcast, and rainy yesterday... Thus
the chili! 😁

Every recipe that we've tried from the Minimalist Baker site has been great. SWMBO gets lots of stuff from there. Many choices including Gluten Free, Dairy Free, vegan...

The chicken chili was not one of the vegan ones 😆... but it was GF & DF...

If you like cajun flavors, a great soup starter is a can of Blue Runner Creole Cream Style Beans. A buddy of mine turned me on to that when he made a killer soup on a campout. The small can of either Pinto or Navy is all you need. No need to add any salt or other spices at all and it's good every time. You could make soup out of popcorn and dandelions and it would be delicious.:yes:
https://bluerunnerfoods.com/
I never thought of that. I bought some Old Glory southern style something (maybe black-eyed peas) and they had a good flavor except they were inedibly salty. Mixed with enough rice and raw jalapenos they were edible but not really good. From what I remember, the baconiness and the spices were spot-on; perhaps on the strong side. They'd probably be awesome in a soup, where they'd provide almost all the salt.

Last edited:
All these soups made me start thinking of a good pot of chili. About that time of year again. I use a recipe I got off a friend that won several regional contests here in Texas. Off to the grocery store tomorrow...

All these soups made me start thinking of a good pot of chili. About that time of year again. I use a recipe I got off a friend that won several regional contests here in Texas. Off to the grocery store tomorrow...
yes! I'm going out of town tomorrow, but when I get back I'll probably make a big pot of chili. I don't really have a recipe; I soak a bunch of ancho and guajillo peppers and grind them up, and add to some meat (beef) and onions. Cumin, garlic, oregano, and canned pinto beans or "chili beans." Sometimes I add tomatoes as an extender but often I don't. It's red enough from the dried peppers.

Lentil soup is a stable at our house. My last batch, made a few days ago, I threw in baby spinach along with the rest of ingredients, lentils, onions, carrots, okra (yes, okra), water and spices. Served with cilantro sauce and hot sauce.

My wife has a more dedicated recipe but I tend to throw in whatever is in the frig and it works for me.
We eat a lot of lentils. We work at a monthly food distribution in a rural village and there are almost always lentils and dry beans in the food boxes. You'd be saddened to see how many people give the lentils and beans back to us. At the end of the distribution the volunteers take these leftovers home because regulations don't allow us to keep them for the next month.

I love fall squashes but never made a soup from them before tonight. Usually just roast and use as a side. This was excellent though. I blame
@corkybstewart for the inspirations with his squash and pumpkin soups!
I know what you mean. I've never lived in a climate or culture that use squash/pumpkins etc for soup. Spending winter in France changed that-it's apparently a very important staple for the people in that region of France. By December it's nearly impossible to buy a fresh(ish) pumpking around here but butternut squash is a great substitute.

We get tons of em here. Butternut is my favorite and acorn a close second. I just never thought of making soup with them. My wife really enjoyed it and had done good feedback for next time. They’re dirt cheap in this area for another couple weeks so I plan on grabbing more than a few.
I like to roast em and freeze em for an easy side dish, too.

My wife is WFH today, and thought it a good day for chili. Trick or treating is tonight in our city (long stupid story) so it'll work out perfect. Pulled a package of smoked brisket out of the freezer, and had some smoked turkey legs in the fridge getting old. Will be kinda healthy, right?

My wife is WFH today, and thought it a good day for chili. Trick or treating is tonight in our city (long stupid story) so it'll work out perfect. Pulled a package of smoked brisket out of the freezer, and had some smoked turkey legs in the fridge getting old. Will be kinda healthy, right?
Sounds healthy to me. My wife is not a big fan of my chile, but we use pork leftovers, smoked or oven roasted, to make posole pretty often.

Crazy year for mushrooms. Usually I have tons of morels. None this year. Tons of Chantelles tho. Temp just popped up to 80 after rain during the weekend. Backing up out of my driveway saw this baby. Couple of years ago I pulled a 20lb'er out.
PXL_20231030_192116683.jpg

Polish Christmas soup zupa grzybowa. Nothing more than vegetable stock, roux, all spice and a bit of lemon. I used potatoes in place of normal noodles.

Not that much of a fancy picture but I'm calling the pine needles I can never get out as garnish. Cold and raw out now. Good soup might
PXL_20231030_222921960.jpg

Back