Catalyst Fermentor Kickstarter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
at $100, I'd almost consider it, especially with the advantages of being lower profile than the fast ferment, and mason jars thread right on. At $200 they've lost me. How much does a SS brewbucket cost again?

In truth, not nit-picking like earlier, I am curious about center of gravity. When you have to move it, how do you carry it? The bulk of the weight will be above your hands if you carry it by the base. Not a fan. With Stainless, there are handles high on the bucket for a reason. Straps were made for carrying carboys for the same reason. If you have 6 gallons of wort in it, that is 48 lbs - not too heavy by itself, but when ALL of that weight is above your hands, it is not good. Would be too easy to tip when carrying or placing. How about some handles?

Unbelievable what a few drawings and some clever wording can promise. Who buys this stuff?

Is this Mr. Beer v2.0?

We just wanted to chime in and let everyone know we have all of the pieces completely manufactured now and will be assembling and packaging them up for shipment in early September. We have gone through 5 prototypes and have fermented over 20 batches in it to ensure everything is perfect for the final production units.

Why is it clear? or at least why don't they provide a shroud of some sort? Part of the reason I went stainless is no light gets in.

We are finalizing a light proof cover with handles to make carrying the unit easier. This should be ready for shipment in November.

It looks like it's 100% plastic. I don't trust the base or the valve. Any of it actually.

Garbage in less than six months.

The pledged amount is surprising for something so cheaply made, yet costs almost ss price. I guess it's true there's a sucker born every day.

Again we have fermented over 20 batches in the final production sample and it has worked flawlessly. The plastic we are using is Tritan and it tougher than any plastic ever used in a fermenter. The base is extremely sturdy and we have tested it by putting 250 pounds for over a week without any signs of bowing, cracking or breaking. Plastic can get a bad wrap but it is extremely tough and durable if the right polymer is used and is well engineered.

We have also done over 1,000 cycles of the valve without any wearing, leaking etc. We would not be releasing this product if it was not as durable as possible. We looked into doing the valve in Stainless yet a custom stainless valve would have made the final unit over $250 and would not provide any real benefits in functionality.

In truth, not nit-picking like earlier, I am curious about center of gravity. When you have to move it, how do you carry it? The bulk of the weight will be above your hands if you carry it by the base. Not a fan. With Stainless, there are handles high on the bucket for a reason. Straps were made for carrying carboys for the same reason. If you have 6 gallons of wort in it, that is 48 lbs - not too heavy by itself, but when ALL of that weight is above your hands, it is not good. Would be too easy to tip when carrying or placing. How about some handles?

The tank is seated into the stand securely so while it is a bit top heavy it does not shift or tip. The base makes great handholds, we looked at molding handholds into the base yet after real world testing holding the base to carry it was not an issue.

We have this question asked a lot and I admit it does look top heavy if you have not used it in the real world. This week we will be posing some videos on our Kickstarter page showing one of the ladies in the office moving the unit to demonstrate how simple and sturdy it is.

It looks like it's 100% plastic. I don't trust the base or the valve. Any of it actually.

Garbage in less than six months.

The pledged amount is surprising for something so cheaply made, yet costs almost ss price. I guess it's true there's a sucker born every day.

My Speidel fermenters are all plastic or polymer... valves included.... they are doing great after two years of service.... so plastic isn't garbage.

Meh, they make a lot of terrible comparisons. 5 gallon all grain with secondary and bottling to extract. The brewing process is completely irrelevant to this product and should have been left out because this does not save any space like they wasted the first minute of video claiming.

It look like a good product but claiming that it will simplify things greatly over a carboy is a stretch.

There is also nothing revolutionary about it. This is just a plastic conical. However the mason jar attachment is a good idea.

In post #44, they said they are making a light proof cover with handles to make it easier to carry, but at the same time, in the same post, they state that carrying it in its current configuration is easy and not problematic.

So why handles?

It look like a good product but claiming that it will simplify things greatly over a carboy is a stretch.

Disagree with you on that one. Not a fan of this product, too expensive for what you are getting, but I have the FastFerment conical, wall mounted and it has really simplified the process. No secondary, no racking canes, dumping trub from the ball, yeast collection and the best part, kegging. I love having a conical over a carboy or bucket.

In post #44, they said they are making a light proof cover with handles to make it easier to carry, but at the same time, in the same post, they state that carrying it in its current configuration is easy and not problematic.

So why handles?

Honestly it does not need handles but that is one of the most requested items, since we are making the cover anyway we decited to incorporate handles so you will have the option to grab it from the base or with the handles.

So why handles?

Because people want them.

This. $195 for a SS Brew Bucket.

Which is a great item, but it doesn't make it easy to collect or get rid of the yeast like this does. That is the major advantage of the Catalyst. The Brew Bucket has the advantage of being stainless steel which is great.

If you're going to make function and price comparisons, at least be honest about it.

There are conicals and if you look at them as being advantageous for being able to dump yeast to avoid racking, there's that advantage.

Conicals come stainless or plastic. To date, the stainless ones offer no window into the clarity of the wort or state of sedimentation. That's what a rotating racking port is for. Rotate up and pull a sample. Clear? Rotate down and take another sample. Clear? OK, time to dump and rack to serving tank. The only plastic conicals to date have been MDPE or HDPE and they are not clear enough to "sight" clarity. This is the first crystal clear conical so that is "revolutionary" by definition.

If you don't care about clarity, then stainless is probably a better option. However, you can't call a brew bucket a conical and it's not even close to the same product unless you back out to "fermenter". Do you want a stainless carboy or do you want a conical?

I've had stainless conicals before and I decided they were not for me. I don't like fermenting blind. Watching progress is enjoyable to me. The fast ferment only half way gets you there but it's still not clear enough for my taste.

I don't like fermenting blind. Watching progress is enjoyable to me. The fast ferment only half way gets you there but it's still not clear enough for my taste.

I ferment my sauerkraut in a ceramic crock. I ferment pickles in glass jars. I ferment beer in stainless. I must admit I do like looking at the pickles.

I ferment my sauerkraut in a ceramic crock. I ferment pickles in glass jars. I ferment beer in stainless. I must admit I do like looking at the pickles.

When you think about it - a pickle is just a drunk cucumber

-unknown-

Things I like about this design:
  • Having a "generic" container for the valve is a plus.
  • Don't mind paying a little extra for a more durable and temperature resistant plastic. I like my better bottle, but have never felt good about the flimsiness of it and is not rated for higher liquid temps.
  • This looks very easy to clean, and to transfer wort to.
  • Being able to clearly see what is going on in the fermenter is a big benefit over other conicals designed for homebrewers.

In terms of $$ (listed at $160-175 on KS for the complete setup):

Not saying it is better than the products below as I haven't tried personally, just wanted to put the price in perspective as I don't think it is that outrageous.

• If you compare with a FastFerment w/ carrying strap, stand and extra collection bail that is around $170+ shipping which is not that far off.
  • You could get a pretty nice stainless steel fermenter in this price range, but I have not found one with a bottom valve that is close in price. Without the ability to separate out the yeast/trub that kind of defeats one of the main points of this device which allows you to ferment, age, and bottle from one container.

--------------------

Maybe I'm just another Kickstarter fool (I did go for that BrewNanny on Kickstarter which was a colossal waste of time/money) but this seems like a pretty nice product design to me at a reasonable price-point. I am not associated with this at all, just wanted to provide some positive input since many posts seem to disregard it rather quickly.

Why does everyone want to see what's going on :fro: from brew day until a couple of seconds before I drink it I never see my beer.... and haven't ever really had a desire too.

Why does everyone want to see what's going on :fro: from brew day until a couple of seconds before I drink it I never see my beer.... and haven't ever really had a desire too.

There is just something about the first couple of days of fermentation.... after that.... it doesn't matter as much...

I currently use Speidel fermenters so I don't really see what is going on.... I can just tell where the krausen moved up to..

I guess I am just impatient, bored and like looking at beer :)

When fermenting/cold crashing I like being able to see what is going on. It is not really that big of a deal but it gives me a little reassurance on what is going on.

Pledged my $$ to the Kickstarter. I never go by the "expected" ship dates but hope to have a nice fermenter in the somewhat near future. Until then I've got plenty of buckets and carboys to play around with...I'm sure once they ship a new thread will pop up with people's experience using these.

If you can see it then it has light on it!!! I guess maybe i'm paranoid, I'll even throw a brewery rag over my blow off tube connection so light doesn't shine down it.

Glass carboys are clear also, so I don't see why that is even being mentioned. I like to watch fermentation happen also. Obviously I throw a towel around it when I'm not peaking at it. The company has already said they're coming out with a jacket for it that will block light and have handles.

LOVE the wide mouth mason jar usage. Depending on your process, this would only introduce air 0-1 times into the fermented brew from the mason jar, and far less air than transferring would. I don't use a secondary, but do have to transfer to a bottle bucket occasionally.

Fast ferment is cool, and I've been eyeing them up for a while also, but I like the design of this system. The clear fermentation tank, the larger much less likely to clog valve, the use of mason jars instead of proprietary catcher you buy from the company. I wouldn't want to mount either on a wall, so I would have to buy the stand.

I considered the Ss brew bucket, but want a conical with the ability to collect yeast/dump trub from the very bottom.

Eventually I'll get a 14 gallon Ss conical, but for now this is PERFECT for my needs.

$175? Sold. The fast ferment with equivalent stand and only ONE trub collector is $184 on Amazon currently.

I wonder how well it would take to modification, e.g. if you want to add in a sampling port, thermowell, herms coil, etc.. I know on the HDPE, it takes well to drilling, but Tritan is a lot harder and seems more brittle. Think of drilling a new age Nalgene bottle, I think it would weaken and probably crack. @CraftaBrew, is that something you have tried? Just curious as a lot of home brewers will look to that instead of coming in through the lid for their accessories.

I wonder how well it would take to modification, e.g. if you want to add in a sampling port, thermowell, herms coil, etc.. I know on the HDPE, it takes well to drilling, but Tritan is a lot harder and seems more brittle. Think of drilling a new age Nalgene bottle, I think it would weaken and probably crack. @CraftaBrew, is that something you have tried? Just curious as a lot of home brewers will look to that instead of coming in through the lid for their accessories.

Is it a thermoset or thermoplastic polymer? If it's a thermoplastic polymer, you could bore through it with a soldering iron, as long as there's no special coating on the inside that would be ruined by doing so. If it's a thermoset polymer...don't do that.

Seems like it would be too brittle to use a drill. Soldering iron is an interesting idea.

We spoke with our reps over at Eastman Tritan and they said the material can be drilled since it is not brittle like acrylic. This is from the manufacturer:

Parts also can be die-punched and can be drilled without significant microcracking in the entrance or exit. Contact Eastman Chemical Company for recommended drill bit types and drilling speeds.​

Glass carboys are clear also, so I don't see why that is even being mentioned.

$175? Sold. The fast ferment with equivalent stand and only ONE trub collector is $184 on Amazon currently.

Of course glass carboys are in the game if you like clear fermenters at low cost. The down side is breakable, dangerously so, and the fact that you have to rack off of them. I think the Catalyst is a reasonable hybrid between a glass carboy and a stainless conical but without the breakage danger.

SS Brew TechBrew bucket can be had for $195 and can be upgraded with temp control later. Trub settles nicely into it's conical portion. Don't have to worry about scratches and if you tire of the hobby, a nicely cared for unit will probably fetch $125 to $150 resale. Remember, It's stainless, durable for a lifetime

Yeah, I did strongly consider the brew bucket.

I like that the catalyst is clear, and that you can dump trub or collect yeast from the bottom of the cone.

Brew jacket is making a temp controlled sleeve that will heat or cool the catalyst.

We spoke with our reps over at Eastman Tritan and they said the material can be drilled since it is not brittle like acrylic. This is from the manufacturer:

Parts also can be die-punched and can be drilled without significant microcracking in the entrance or exit. Contact Eastman Chemical Company for recommended drill bit types and drilling speeds.​

Awesome! Thanks for the answer :)

I'm sort of ridiculously excited.

Wish it was a tad bigger, like 7-7.5 gallons to help avoid blow offs, but should be fine.

Wonder what the diameter of the hole in the lid is, for both blow off tube and wine thief.

I'm sort of ridiculously excited.

Wish it was a tad bigger, like 7-7.5 gallons to help avoid blow offs, but should be fine.

Wonder what the diameter of the hole in the lid is, for both blow off tube and wine thief.

Thanks, we can't wait to begin shipping them and see them in use!

The diameter of the hole is 1.15" we made this large enough for any common used sampling device/thief.

Based on the prices, I assume it will cost more than a Fastferment conical, even with the stand. I like it, but unless I am missing something, it seems the same as the Fastferment product.

That said, please let me know if I am wrong, because I love my conical so far and am all for another one that might be better made or function better.

I backed it bc it has a few advantages over fast ferment. Clear, complete open top for cleaning, mason jar instead of ff 's ball like yeast harvest container.

I've been using a mason jar attached to my 17 gal plastic conical for two years. Love it. So easy. Detach, cap, put in fridge, next brew just refer to your mr. Malty app and repitch that volume out of the Mason jar (usually around 200 mL or about a third of a quart jar)

All fermenters have pros and cons imo. The Catalyst has enough pros for me I'm super pumped to have one. I will be installing a sample valve to make it even more ideal for me. I suppose they did not include one in order to keep cost down. I also hope they make a 14 gallon version in the future.

I plan to use SS Brewtech's sample valve ($25, I've done this on one of my upside down Sankey keg fermenters and it worked great). Anyone have any thoughts on this or other ideas for or against putting a sample port in?

Back