Catalyst Fermentor Kickstarter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSmithsEra

Reaction score
This thing looks pretty good. Any opinions or thoughts?

I just backed on the early bird

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...rmentation-made-easy?ref=category_recommended

Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 11.27.52 AM.png

interestingly they assume that everyone is

1. bottling
2. using a secondary
3. using a "third-ary" I've never seen a thread where someone was transferring a beer 3 times!
4.transferring a fourth! time into a bucket.... A bucket without a bottling attachment
5.filling bottles by syphon
6.think you are going to ferment on a tabletop, in sunlight with no temperature control
7.there is no pressure rating for positive pressure cold crashing

That said at $150 it looks like a good alternative to a carboy! Hopefully they will make an accessory for lifting so that it can be placed in a fermentation chamber....although 5 gallons in plastic may not be that heavy...

1. bottling
2. using a secondary
3. using a "third-ary" I've never seen a thread where someone was transferring a beer 3 times!
4.transferring a fourth! time into a bucket.... A bucket without a bottling attachment
6.think you are going to ferment on a tabletop, in sunlight with no temperature control

That said at $150 it looks like a good alternative to a carboy! Hopefully they will make an accessory for lifting so that it can be placed in a fermentation chamber....although 5 gallons in plastic may not be that heavy...

Well it looks like they're mostly trying to sell the new brewer on it. Here are reasons why I like it:

1. The trub catcher thing
2. Bottling looks easier

But your points are very good. Like, lifting out of a freezer or setting it in a freezer for temp control and the cold crash rating. Exactly why I posted here to see what I haven't thought of.

Bottling without having to transfer might be worth it. . .then again . . .kegs

Based on the prices, I assume it will cost more than a Fastferment conical, even with the stand. I like it, but unless I am missing something, it seems the same as the Fastferment product.

That said, please let me know if I am wrong, because I love my conical so far and am all for another one that might be better made or function better.

Based on the prices, I assume it will cost more than a Fastferment conical, even with the stand. I like it, but unless I am missing something, it seems the same as the Fastferment product.

That said, please let me know if I am wrong, because I love my conical so far and am all for another one that might be better made or function better.

I've been out of it too long. The Fastferment conical is what i'm going to get instead of the Catalyst fermentor. Canceled my pledge :(

Do you use yours in a freezer?

Saw this at HomebrewCon in Baltimore. Good idea for a beginner brewer, but there are much better options out there for less money.

I like it.

Except for the list price = $199, for a few more $$ you can get a Stainless Steel model. I might be a player if it would be sold at $75 or less.........

But do not leave it out so people can see it. You will skunk your beer.

1. bottling
2. using a secondary

For all the reasons above I would not recommend this to a beginner over a standard glass carboy.

It does function similar to the FastFerment yet there are a few major benefits. We use a medical grade polymer that is more scratch resistant, less permeable to oxygen and heat rated up to 230 F, our valve will never clog at 3" wide and you have the ability to use any mason jar so there are not specific collection balls needed and you can choose the size that is right for you.

I like it.

Except for the list price = $199, for a few more $$ you can get a Stainless Steel model. I might be a player if it would be sold at $75 or less.........

But do not leave it out so people can see it. You will skunk your beer.

I totally understand that concern and we tried coming in at a lower price point yet the cost of the materials is extremely high considering we used a medical grade polymer for the tank and valve. We are working on some accessories now that include a light proof tank cover with carrying handles, this and other accessories should be available early next year.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be glad to answer them here.

If you want to do this on the cheap, buy a BrewDemon. I have two for about $40 each, and I got what I paid for, including no valve or tank at the bottom and a grade of plastic that just never looks clean, no matter what you do. Worth the $40, but no more. I look forward to dryhopping from a jar on the bottom and cutting my oxygen exposure way down.

I think most of jddevinn's list is kinda off target. The Catalyst lets you "move" to secondary without moving, but that does not mean they expect everyone to do that with every beer. And ferment on a countertop? No, mine will go into the old fridge I've repurposed as a fermentation chamber. If that dies on me before I replace it, it won't be hard to find a dark closet.

Anyhoo, I am glad to see the maker become a forum supporter. First question: How confident are you on your proposed shipping dates? My last beer related Kickstarter buy was the Synek, and it took just short of forever to ship. I've ordered the Catalyst on faith that you will be able to ship close to the projected date.

Anyhoo, I am glad to see the maker become a forum supporter. First question: How confident are you on your proposed shipping dates? My last beer related Kickstarter buy was the Synek, and it took just short of forever to ship. I've ordered the Catalyst on faith that you will be able to ship close to the projected date.

We are very confident about the ship dates, we are working with a manufacturing and logistics partner to ensure we ship on time, we have all of the production molds completed for all of the components, tested the production samples and are now prepping for the final production run. This will put us on track to have everything in our warehouse by September 1st so if anything does cause a small delay we will still have a few weeks as a buffer and you'll still receive it in September.

Glass is too dangerous for the limited advantages.

Well that's about the funniest thing I have read in a while on this forum anyway. Best product to clean and make sure you have clean and nicely impervious. I brewed out of glass for 15 years and didn't kill or maim anyone. And holy Shizzle part of that time there were young kids in the house. Surprised CPS did not pay me a visit or two. Whew lucky me!!!!!

Learn how to brew (and see if you really like it) in a simple inexpensive carboy/blowoff tube system with a siphon and bottle wand. If it turns out it is worth investing more than $100 bucks in your whole set up, by some descent more advanced stuff.

FYI trub is not the home brewers enemy. A dog with a note in his mouth can siphon off the trub to a bottling carboy.

I applaud the efforts, but someone asked for my opinion. And my opinion is that This is not the answer. YMMV

We use a medical grade polymer that is more scratch resistant, less permeable to oxygen and heat rated up to 230 F.

I've done my last few brews as "no-chill". After hop-burst/steep/whirlpool I dump the hot wort directly into a stainless sanke or converted milk jug , drop it into my fermentation chamber at 68F over night while I'm doing my starter. The wort is usually in the 160F-170F range when I transfer it..

Are you saying that I could do the same with the Catalyst? Will the frame stand up to the heat?

I've already pulled the trigger on two, but am simply interested.

I've been out of it too long. The Fastferment conical is what i'm going to get instead of the Catalyst fermentor. Canceled my pledge :(

Do you use yours in a freezer?

I haven't yet, but I am in the middle of getting a used fridge to lager with. I will try and let you know how it goes.

Glass is too dangerous for the limited advantages.

Well that's about the funniest thing I have read in a while on this forum anyway. Best product to clean and make sure you have clean and nicely impervious. I brewed out of glass for 15 years and didn't kill or maim anyone. And holy Shizzle part of that time there were young kids in the house. Surprised CPS did not pay me a visit or two. Whew lucky me!!!!!

We are getting :off: Glad I humored you in saying that glass is dangerous. But, read this. A lot of these people brewed for years before ending up in the ER. And it has been said that at least one homebrewer has DIED from a broken carboy accident!!!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=376523

I've done my last few brews as "no-chill". After hop-burst/steep/whirlpool I dump the hot wort directly into a stainless sanke or converted milk jug , drop it into my fermentation chamber at 68F over night while I'm doing my starter. The wort is usually in the 160F-170F range when I transfer it..

Are you saying that I could do the same with the Catalyst? Will the frame stand up to the heat?

I've already pulled the trigger on two, but am simply interested.

Thats right, the tank can stand up to the heat and there is a silicone seating ring that holds the tank into the stand so there should not be any issues with adding hot wort directly to The Catalyst.

We are getting :off: Glad I humored you in saying that glass is dangerous. But, read this. A lot of these people brewed for years before ending up in the ER. And it has been said that at least one homebrewer has DIED from a broken carboy accident!!!

While this doesn't occur often it can happen. We had a batch of wine fermenting in our brew room at our warehouse a few weeks back and when moving it the bottom of the carboy shattered, luckily I wasn't injured but my legs were within inches of getting hit by a heavy piece of sharp glass..

While this doesn't occur often it can happen. We had a batch of wine fermenting in our brew room at our warehouse a few weeks back and when moving it the bottom of the carboy shattered, luckily I wasn't injured but my legs were within inches of getting hit by a heavy piece of sharp glass..

For me the idea of EVEN ONE trip to the ER for stitches is enough that I will never use glass carboys.

Not to mention that there have been severed arteries, tendons, permanent nerve damage, etc.

1 gallon jugs, maybe.

The 3" valve is nice. I like the butterfly valve. I love that it uses mason jars.

But I feel like the medical grade polymer seems like overkill and not worth the price for me.

I'm happy with my FastFerment and my menagerie of glass carboys, plastic carboys, and buckets.

For me the idea of EVEN ONE trip to the ER for stitches is enough that I will never use glass carboys.

Not to mention that there have been severed arteries, tendons, permanent nerve damage, etc.

1 gallon jugs, maybe.

Also, guns kill people. People don't kill people.

You should only use plastic cups too. I've seen some nasty cuts from people being careless with pint glasses. Only buy hard liquor in plastic bottles too.

You shouldn't use a shower/tub either. Too many people are injured in the bathroom every year. Use a bucket and a washcloth.

Don't use ladders. Find someone super tall to do the work for you.

Don't even get me started on the hazards in a kitchen...

:ban:

On topic:

This thing doesn't look great. Especially for the price. You'll be tossing it in a year after it starts leaking and/or cracks. I'm surprised it doesn't have an As Seen On TV label...

Looks like a fantastic product. This is truly a "why didn't I think of that?" kind of thing. And not complicated but both simple & elegant enough for a homebrewer of any experience level to use from novice to advanced.

I'll agree, >$200 seems kind of steep, and stainless or aluminum would truly be awesome. But on the other hand, there are numerous other advantages, including that it replaces a ton of other equipment and saves a lot of space.

I can see this being a superb gift idea for any experience level.

One red flag potential fatal flaw: Looks like the valve is made of plastic. That could be a significant problem. For $200-something, you want a valve that is going to last for 200-something batches. If a simple brass or bronze ball valve could be used instead (for a mere extra $15 or whatever in production cost), you'll get more buyers that way.

I sincerely wish you all the best in sales of this product. Great stuff.

I like, but at that price you can buy many Better Bottles, or it is pretty close to stainless steel. I often have 2-4 beers and a couple of wines going all at the same time. $200 each would break the bank. Well outside my budget - about $170.

I like, but at that price you can buy many Better Bottles, or it is pretty close to stainless steel. I often have 2-4 beers and a couple of wines going all at the same time. $200 each would break the bank. Well outside my budget - about $170.

This is a good point actually. I wouldn't want to buy two of these, but I often brew 2 or 3 things at one time.

Why is it clear? or at least why don't they provide a shroud of some sort? Part of the reason I went stainless is no light gets in.

I got in @ $160 as an early adopter after seeing it at the AHA in Baltimore. I like the ability to remove the trub, harvest yeast, and dry hop; all via the Mason Jar. I realize it is not the only conical out there, but it seems well constructed and doggone it I just like the way it looks!

Why is it clear? or at least why don't they provide a shroud of some sort? Part of the reason I went stainless is no light gets in.

I am counting on the light going out when I close the door on my old fridge repurposed as a fermentation chamber.;) There is talk of an eventual shroud of some sort, but it will add to the price.

I already have a pretty big collection of carboys, I don't need to spend $200 on a plastic home brew conical. If they can bring the price down with larger scale production I may be interested.

It looks like it's 100% plastic. I don't trust the base or the valve. Any of it actually.

Garbage in less than six months.

The pledged amount is surprising for something so cheaply made, yet costs almost ss price. I guess it's true there's a sucker born every day.

Back