Cash for Clunkers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cash for Clunkers= EPIC FAIL!!
After less than a week uncle gubmint says they can't handle it. Worried that their 1 billion dollars is gonna get all used up before they can figure a way to stash away their "fair share" of the free money. Business as usual in the USA.
This is the same gubmint that wants to give you socialized medicine.
Friggin morons.
AP

I don't know what research you did on Hyundai, but I have an 02 Elantra that runs like a dream. It also was the first year of above epic crash test ratings. So in all, you are buying an American made car, with great ratings and good gas mileage. Well done. Affordable too.

I'm married to a scientist, who approached car buying like it was his job. He researched all of the safety features, compared buyers satisfaction surveys, and then looked at all of the quality assurances. I initially wanted another Toyota Corolla, but considered a Honda Accord and a Mazda 3.

He convinced me to give Hyundai a try, and I was very impressed with the "solidness" of the car, the extra safety features like the side curtain airbags, and the little free luxuries like an IPOD cable/USB port. It seems like I got a lot of car for a little money.

(ps: Having someone else eat the depreciation on a 2 year old BMW is hard to pass up, though!)
No crap on this. We went back to OU a couple years ago and ran into an old freind. He was driving a Beamer and I said, How can you afford that being a college student! He said they're aren't bad used. Told us what he paid. It was the same as we paid for a our used Buick Rendezvous. I was surprised. This is also the reason I will not buy a Brand New car until my kids are done with college and I'm running out of places to stash all my extra cash.

So much for that program! We test drove Prius for teh hell of it last night. Wife Loves them, I had never seen the inside. It was an 08 and it surpassed my expectations. I wouldn't have a problem buying one as her car, but wouldn't want to drive one myself everyday.

Cash for Clunkers= EPIC FAIL!!
After less than a week uncle gubmint says they can't handle it. Worried that their 1 billion dollars is gonna get all used up before they can figure a way to stash away their "fair share" of the free money. Business as usual in the USA.
This is the same gubmint that wants to give you socialized medicine.
Friggin morons.
AP

Actually it looks like it was an EPIC SUCCESS to me.

'Clunkers' Program Low on Cash, Lawmakers May Seek Stimulus Funds

Democrats in Congress are hoping to bring a bill to the House floor today to provide $2 billion to continue the federal government's week-old "cash for clunkers," program, which has proven so popular with consumers that it is almost out of cash.

A congressional source said the money would come from money in the already-passed economic stimulus package that was intended for energy loan guarantees. Congress would seek to replenish the energy program at a later date.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Friday that the program is continuing, even as administration officials work with Congress to find ways to continue funding it. "We're confident we'll have a solution," Gibbs told reporters. "It's something we believe can, should and will be extended."

Gibbs did not say whether stimulus money would be reallocated for the program, which was created to boost stagnant auto sales. He also declined to say how long the program would be continued under the discussions now taking place. Late Thursday, he said that "auto dealers and consumers should have confidence that all valid CARS transactions that have taken place to-date will be honored."

Federal transportation officials called lawmakers Thursday to warn them the program was facing a temporary suspension, congressional sources said, prompting a panic among dealers and a flurry of activity on Capitol Hill.

The House bill was being drafted after Michigan lawmakers held an emergency meeting Friday morning in the office of Sen. Carl Levin. The congressional source involved in the process said it could be considered by the full House under a suspension of the rules, a procedure that would allow the chamber to move the bill quickly but also requires two-thirds support to pass and does not allow amendments. The Senate is not in session until Monday.

"The cash for clunkers program has proven hugely successful in its first week," Levin said in a statement. "We have been told by the White House that people can keep buying cars under the program until further notice. We don't know how long it will last, so people should go to their car dealers now if they want to take advantage of the program. We're also going to seek additional funding to hopefully make the program last longer."

The program, formally known as the Car Allowance Rebate System (CARS), gives vouchers worth up to $4,500 to consumers who trade in gas-guzzling cars for more fuel-efficient models. The highly publicized effort -- passed by Congress in late June to help the flagging U.S. auto industry and launched just a week ago with $1 billion in funds -- was scheduled to run until Nov. 1, or until money ran out.

But as tens of thousands of people rushed to trade in their cars, sources familiar with the discussions who spoke on condition of anonymity said, federal transportation officials worried that the program's coffers could be empty by week's end.

Shortly before 1 a.m. Friday, several local dealers said in interviews that they would wait to see how the government was going to proceed with the program before they accepted any more clunkers. Dealers had been expecting an overwhelming response to the program to continue through the weekend.

Officials say they did not expect the program to run out of cash so quickly. "We're going to try to figure out what's a realistic amount of money and get it into the program," Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Mich.) said Thursday.

The official Web site for the program, Cars.gov, said Thursday night that $779 million remained in its coffers, but it was not clear how much of that money had already been committed. Auto dealers said they've had an overwhelming response from consumers wanting to turn in their clunkers. Under the program, consumers get a voucher for up to $4,500 -- depending on the model and average fuel economy of their car or truck -- if they buy a new car or truck that gets better gas mileage than the one that was scrapped. The payoff grows depending on the difference in the fuel efficiencies of the old and new cars.

So how the heck is that a failure? So many people availed themselves of the program that it sold out faster than U2 tickets...looks like they are going to add another 2 billion to the kitty, which will also go by pretty fast.

This is not the debate forum. Please keep your anger and political opinions to yourself or create your own thread in the appropriate area.

The topic is:
Cash for Clunkers
Anybody else taking advantage of this program?

well anyhow... I am a little pissed... and not at the gov on this... they did their job...
Bank of America on the other hand did not... My loan did not get processed until freaking 4:45pm yesterday... Dealer will not accept a personal check so I had to reschedule delivery of my new car to this morning at 9:30am... I got a call at 8:20 from the dealer saying that the Gov has suspended the CARS program to re-evaluate the situation.

I signed the contract on this car on saturday... I was prepared and ready... BoA was not and I got screwed because of it... I don't blame the gov at all... I blame idiots not doing their job and BoA not having a more organized office system of handling car loan appropriation.

End Rant!

Anybody else taking advantage of this program?

Nope cause they pulled the plug on it.

Apparently No Dealership has received any form of check from the government yet and the government had no record or tracking on the amount of money spent. I wonder how many dealerships are going to get screwed out of rebate checks that they honored but the Government won't.

*I don't feel that comment is a debate thread reply, but if it is please delete*

well anyhow... I am a little pissed... and not at the gov on this... they did their job...
Bank of America on the other hand did not... My loan did not get processed until freaking 4:45pm yesterday... Dealer will not accept a personal check so I had to reschedule delivery of my new car to this morning at 9:30am... I got a call at 8:20 from the dealer saying that the Gov has suspended the CARS program to re-evaluate the situation.

I signed the contract on this car on saturday... I was prepared and ready... BoA was not and I got screwed because of it... I don't blame the gov at all... I blame idiots not doing their job and BoA not having a more organized office system of handling car loan appropriation.

End Rant!
With all due respect, do you know how many loans they were probably processing that day that got turned in before yours? It is just bad luck that yours was too far down the line to get to in time. Regardless how you feel about the bank working 24 hours a day to process your loan, that is some body's job that they hired into working 9-5. 5Pm, days over go home to family. Resume work tomorrow. oops, come tomorrow, Government cancelled program. Bad luck and timing. That's a chance taken for waiting on a program like this.

With all due respect, do you know how many loans they were probably processing that day that got turned in before yours? It is just bad luck that yours was too far down the line to get to in time. Regardless how you feel about the bank working 24 hours a day to process your loan, that is some body's job that they hired into working 9-5. 5Pm, days over go home to family. Resume work tomorrow. oops, come tomorrow, Government cancelled program. Bad luck and timing. That's a chance taken for waiting on a program like this.

They have a quality insurance program at BoA... I applied for the loan on a saturday... They had almost 5 days to process this and get the money transfered. I was approved on the same day as I applied... They dropped the ball. They are supposed to be able to close in 2 business days... If they cannot do that then they in my opinion are not able to competently do their job.

Hopefully the gov will pop in some more $$$.

I believe they did not expect such a high demand in our "depressed" economy.

Especially considering how many cars $1billion gets you.

Example: $1,000,000,000/$4500/car = 222,222 cars (rounded)

Currently there are more than 250,000,000 registered cars.

(222,222/250,000,000)*100%= 0.088% of registered cars.

So, for ever billion $$ we can change the number of registered cars in America by 0.088%. Doesn't go far especially with the car obsessed people here in US.

I think it is a great idea, but not enough funds or thinking.

OT: I won't be taking advantage of it. Our cars are just fine.

Especially considering how many cars $1billion gets you.

Example: $1,000,000,000/$4500/car = 222,222 cars (rounded)

Currently there are more than 250,000,000 registered cars.

(222,222/250,000,000)*100%= 0.088% of registered cars.

So, for ever billion $$ we can change the number of registered cars in America by 0.088%. Doesn't go far especially with the car obsessed people here in US.

I think it is a great idea, but not enough funds or thinking.

OT: I won't be taking advantage of it. Our cars are just fine.

no not really the # stays the same because the car you turned in goes to the scrap yard .

I wont be either my truck will paid off in January and the wife's car is a company car they even pay the gas . And the Firebird isnt going anywhere

You underestimate the ability and willingness of the American public thinking they can afford something just because the dealership is willing to stretch a payment far enough. I had a dealer actually try and approach me with a 75 month loan! The sad thing is there are plenty of people that only see, "I can afford that monthly payment". Who cares if I end up paying 35,000 for a car with a sticker price of 21,000. I get to drive a brand new car!

no not really the # stays the same because the car you turned in goes to the scrap yard .

I wont be either my truck will paid off in January and the wife's car is a company car they even pay the gas . And the Firebird isnt going anywhere

Correct. By "change" I thought and should have used "exchanged"

Sorry about the confusion. With the govt $$ we can only alter the # of cars by much less than 1%. Drop in the bucket.

Thanks for the editorial.

They just appropriated an extra $2B... or at least the house said yes... The Senate votes on Monday... So things should resume on monday or tuesday... Looks like I'll have to wait until then to get my car...

You underestimate the ability and willingness of the American public thinking they can afford something just because the dealership is willing to stretch a payment far enough. I had a dealer actually try and approach me with a 75 month loan! The sad thing is there are plenty of people that only see, "I can afford that monthly payment". Who cares if I end up paying 35,000 for a car with a sticker price of 21,000. I get to drive a brand new car!

AND I decided that I don't want a monthly car payment no matter what the amount is, so I didn't even bother checking to see if my car qualified. I think it is too new. But I bought it off craiglist and paid cash for it. I like not having an extra bill.

:off:
I actually had a friend roll ALL of his debt (school loans, car payments x2, motorcylce payment, credit card debt) into his home loan when he refinanced in 2005. I asked if he was crazy because he was gonna lose a TON of $$ on interest and his response was "well, I'll only have one payment a month for all my debt." that's the problem with this country and people don't look long term - it's all short term thinking. They'd rather have a $200 payment for 7 years than a $500 payment for 3 years because "I can't afford 500/mo., but I can afford 200/mo.

As many know the housing market in Phoenix, AZ is so bad that mean prices of houses in Maricopa County are down 50% (yes DOWN 50%) in just over 1 year. I've talked to people that got caught in no-money-down 3-year ARM's who now are facing HUGE balloon payments and interest rate increases and can't sell their house because of the market - and when I ask why they took a risky loan, their response is: "hey I was only planning to live here for 3 years." when I asked why would you buy a house if you only plan on living their for 3-years, their response was "I'll either sell it at a huge profit, or refi." And now they can't do either....

/end :off:

I had a dealer actually try and approach me with a 75 month loan! The sad thing is there are plenty of people that only see, "I can afford that monthly payment".

It's amazing...I was car shopping with my SO for the past few weeks, and the dealers kept shoving scraps of paper at me with dollar amounts scrawled on them: $279, $350, $330. Instead of telling me the price for the car, they were telling me how much the monthly payment would be! Everywhere we went, it was the same. I had to keep telling them to quote me the TOTAL price for the vehicle, and let me worry about how we intend to pay for it.

Ended up paying cash, which seemed to really irritate the dealer. Crazy world.

Get a loan through a credit union. I tried to have Suntrust process my loan because I was already a customer, but they needed all this garbage and documentation to do it - was taking 3 days to process, yada yada yada.

Went to a credit union, got a 4.25% rate, and walked in 5 hours later to get my check.

Needless to say, I'm no longer a Suntrust customer.

Well, I don't know how this turned into a rant about debt, but rest assured that the dealer took my check just fine, and I remain debt free. I don't even have a credit card bill, or a mortgage so you don't have to worry about me! :D

It's amazing...I was car shopping with my SO for the past few weeks, and the dealers kept shoving scraps of paper at me with dollar amounts scrawled on them: $279, $350, $330. Instead of telling me the price for the car, they were telling me how much the monthly payment would be! Everywhere we went, it was the same. I had to keep telling them to quote me the TOTAL price for the vehicle, and let me worry about how we intend to pay for it.

Ended up paying cash, which seemed to really irritate the dealer. Crazy world.
This is excatly what they did to us on the Galant. it took 3 times of me telling the lady, there's still no price on that sheet, only monthly payments! The first two didn't even have the Load Period on it. Once the manager came out too, she actually looked at him and said "now wasn't such and such sales person working with someone else on a deal with car also?" I literally laughed out loud a little and the Manager changed tactics real quick. You expect me to believe you wouldn't have mentioned that the first 1.5 hours we were here talking about that car! Yes Salesman I look young, No salesman I'm not the idiot you're used to.

Well, I don't know how this turned into a rant about debt, but rest assured that the dealer took my check just fine, and I remain debt free. I don't even have a credit card bill, or a mortgage so you don't have to worry about me! :D
Seems this forum is full of intelligent people. Whats wrong with the rest of the country?

Where do these cars go? Are they actually scrapped? Or do they go to people in Malawi wearing Arizona Cardinal Superbowl Champions t-shirts?

Where do these cars go? Are they actually scrapped? Or do they go to people in Malawi wearing Arizona Cardinal Superbowl Champions t-shirts?

Yep- they go for scrap. The dealer is required to "kill" the car by running silicon in the gas tank until the engine seizes up, and then they are dismantled and destroyed.

Yep- they go for scrap. The dealer is required to "kill" the car by running silicon in the gas tank until the engine seizes up, and then they are dismantled and destroyed.

That sounds like fun!!! I wonder if the dealer would let the customer (old owner) do that!!!

That sounds like fun!!! I wonder if the dealer would let the customer (old owner) do that!!!

Pack a lunch, it could take a while!

There was a Mythbusters episode where they abused a GM V8. Bleach, drain cleaner, sugar, etc. in the fuel. Coins in the intake manifold. Eggs and cola in the radiator. Damn thing wouldn't stop! Finally they put bleach in the crankcase, and it eventually froze up.

Got mine on Monday... here she is outside of work this morning.

Import080709055.jpg

Import080709054.jpg

Import080709053.jpg

Import080709052.jpg

Import080709051.jpg

Got mine on Monday... here she is outside of work this morning.

With a name like "bowtie" I'd expect you to drive a Chevy. Congrats, though, on buying a nice car, and be sure to enjoy the 50+ mpg you get with the oil-burner. I've driven them in Europe (Audi A3, Audi A6, BMW 318d)... diesels are very economical, not noisy or dirty like most people think, and still fun to drive.

To destroy the engine most places use sodium silicate mixed with water.

"The prescribed and approved method of disabling a car according to law involves replacing the engine's oil with sodium silicate, more commonly known as liquid glass. When the car is run with a mixture of water and sodium silicate the liquid quickly evaporates and the solids are left behind, causing most of the oiled surfaces to seize and break."

here is a Volvo being disabled

get to smoking around 2 minutes in then catches fire

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a great idea. I would have taken advantage of it, but I traded my s**tbox truck for an S10 a couple months ago.

nice Jetta TDI, bowtie! I've wanted to test drive those. Reviews say those TDIs have decent low end torque that make it a bit fun.

I have a 2005 Jetta GLI that is a blast to drive, though averages 25 MPG.

SWMBO really wants a Jetta TDI Sportwagon, unfortunately we drive pretty fuel efficient cars. One is a 2007 Honda Fit (34mpg avg over its life) and she drives a 2001 Nissan Sentra that averages about 26mpg. I understand they want to get true clunkers off the road, but I can step up nearly 20mpg by trading in her Sentra. Oh well, no shiney new car for SWMBO.

Terje

I loved my '02 Golf TDI when I was driving it. Best mpg I got was 49 mpg on an expressway trip.

The turbo can really bark the tires too. Feels odd in a little 4 banger diesel.

nice Jetta TDI, bowtie! I've wanted to test drive those. Reviews say those TDIs have decent low end torque that make it a bit fun.

I have a 2005 Jetta GLI that is a blast to drive, though averages 25 MPG.

Diesels inherently have buttloads of torque at low RPMs... makes them pretty fun to drive, even if the redline is only around 4500 or so; by comparison, my previous Audi redlined at 7100.

Back