Get rid of yer keg--fridge now!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
Ya know, I'm not one to get miffed at the greenies or tree-huggers, etc. And I generally think that we humans can do a lot to stall or stop the degradation of our environment, etc.

But . . . messin' wit my keggerator . . . that's just going too far.:p :mug:

Source - http://environment.newscientist.com/article/dn12975-beer-fridges-present-a-gassy-problem.html

Beer fridges' present a gassy problem

* 11:23 28 November 2007
* NewScientist.com news service
* Catherine Brahic

Getting rid of vintage “beer fridges” – secondary fridges which many North American and Australian homes boast – could have a significant impact on household greenhouse gas emissions, suggests a new study.

Beer fridges are additional fridges that are generally used to keep beer and other drinks cold on top of a household’s primary fridge for food. One in three Canadian households has a second fridge, many of which are ageing, energy-guzzling models, according to Denise Young, a researcher at the University of Alberta, Canada.

Young suggests that getting rid of older models, in Canada at least, would have an impact on energy usage. Her study analyses industry data and the results of a national survey to look at the environmental effects of having beer fridges in Canada.

"People need to understand the impact of their lifestyles," says Joanna Yarrow, director of Beyond Green, a sustainable development consultancy in the UK. "Clearly the environmental implications of having a frivolous luxury like a beer fridge are not hitting home. This research helps inform people – let's hope it has an effect".
High demands

The survey that Young analysed was commissioned by Natural Resources Canada and suggests that 30% of households have two or more refrigerators. About 20% of secondary fridges are older models that are kept after the household buys a newer model as their primary refrigerator.

Having a second fridge for cooling drinks means more demand for electricity, and this demand is even worse when the second fridge is an older model.

The Canadian Appliance Manufacturers Association estimates that typical 1985 refrigerator models use 1060 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of energy per year, while a 1975 model uses 1580 kWh per year. In contrast, more recent and energy-efficient models can use as little as 380 kWh per year.

The survey shows that in 2003 about 65% of beer fridges were more than 10 years old. About 30% were at least twice that age.

Using the survey's information on the distribution of beer fridges and the data on energy consumption, Young calculated that the 65% of beer fridges that are 10 years or older consume 1165.7 million kWh of energy each year – roughly equivalent to the annual consumption of 100,000 average US suburban homes.

By abandoning beer fridges altogether, Canada's 11.5 million households could save 3500 million kWh each year, says Young.
Class divide

Young also found that low-income families were less likely to retire their old refrigerators to the garage to store drinks after buying a new model. She says this is probably because these households find the cost of running an additional fridge (up to $150 per year) too high.

She concludes that middle- to high-income families should be targeted by campaigns to remove old secondary refrigerators. Existing schemes encourage people to buy new more energy-efficient fridges by offering financial bonuses for each purchase – sometimes with a cash-back offer for handing in older fridges.

Young warns, however, that "these financial incentives may also induce a household to purchase a new unit earlier than they would have otherwise done so", which can actually encourage people to keep a second fridge.

Instead, Young supports government-run "round-ups" offering to pick up and dispose of old refrigerators. A 2006 study commissioned by the Ontario Power Authority showed that such programmes have been successful in the past, especially when they are boosted by information on how much money and energy can be saved by getting rid of the beer fridge.

But environmental effect of beer fridges depends on the source of electricity. "In Canada, there are major regional differences," notes Young. "In places where hydroelectric power is used, the greenhouse gas emissions are negligible. In places where coal or natural gas are used, the impacts can be substantial."

She calculates that a 1975 fridge in British Columbia – where most electricity comes from hydropower – is responsible for a negligible increase in emissions. But the same fridge in Alberta, where electricity is primarily generated from natural gas and coal, would be responsible for 1.4 tons of greenhouse gases every year.

Journal reference: Energy Policy (DOI: 10.1016/j.enpol.2007.09.034)

Messin' with my beer fridges is where I draw the line. Damn tree hugging hippies.

Clearly the environmental implications of having a frivolous luxury like a beer fridge are not hitting home.

Firvolous? Frivolous????? :mad: My a$$. If I didn't have a second fridge I wouldn't have ANY room for beer.

I have a kitchen fridge, a beer fridge, an upright freezer, and have acquired a smaller fridge that will become a two tap kegerator. :rockin:

Frivolous?? Smoke me.

Ize

Quit reading the gloom and see the light:

Existing schemes encourage people to buy new more energy-efficient fridges by offering financial bonuses for each purchase – sometimes with a cash-back offer for handing in older fridges.

I ended up buying a new fridge for the kegerator. Wasn't THAT much ($400, free delivery), didn't have to worry about getting it into the basement (the guys who did were NOT happy when I showed them where it was going), didn't have to worry about borrowing a truck, and it's Energy Star. Plus, it's new, has a warranty, and ought to be reliable.

New fridge smell, too!

EDIT: I think there might have been a rebate program, maybe through the state, but I didn't qualify because I was buying a new fridge, not replacing an old one.

Tree huggers took the wrong approach there, attacking a mans beer, thats just stupid. Why not try to get him to Upgrade ?
If you were to replace your 1975 beer fridge that uses 1500-2000 kwh per year it would only take 12-18 months to completely pay for the Sanyo 4912 Kegerator Conversion in savings on your energy bill alone... better for you better for your beer, better for the planet.:fro:

Jens

cheezydemon said:
Where's Yooper? She has 5 fridges! How much can you get on a trade-in I wonder?

But I NEED them! I have two freezers, too, BTW. 15 cubic footers, both of them. One of the fridges is a new dorm fridge, though, and going to college in August. It's graduating from a beer fridge in my cottage to a beer fridge in my daughter's college dorm!

The BIG oops is pointed out in the comments below the article. There was no consideration for the cost or enviromental impact of fridge disposal. When old fridges get crushed (refrigerant and all) and dropped in landfills. New isn't always better, either. I'm sure that a new fridge won't last 30+ years like my mom's old Kenmoore. So if I have to buy 5 fridges over 30 years to replace one old one that would have lasted the whole time, the economics are no longer cut and dry. And that old Kenmoore recovers from opening the door WAY faster than my <5 year old model at home does. $hit I have to be careful putting leftovers in there, for fear the temp of everything else will get too high.

having said all that, I think it's time to start a program of emmissions credits just like big industry has. The more polution you cause the more credits you loose. If you have extra credits, you can sell them to others. If people can get cold hard cash in their hands for conserving, they will actually do it.

Screw that, NO way am I getting rid of my 1952 Philco! I love that kegerator.

And i have two other fridges at my place. They will have to pry my kegerator out of my cold dead hands!

Cheers

My giant chest freezer costs me about 20 to 30 bucks a month to run. I have actually been considering downgrading to a sanyo for serving, as I don't lager often enough to justify leaving the chest freezer plugged in all year round. It has to stay plugged in now as its job other than lagering is being my kegerator and serving cool draft from 2 kegs.

I would think that a modern chest freezer would be the most efficient way to cool beer. Particularly if it were to be opened frequently for bottle storage. Every time you open a fridge or freezer the cold air spills out and the compressor has to come on to compensate. With a chest freezer the cold air is contained better since the colder air sinks to the bottom. This could be all wrong but I'd like to see some discussion on what the earth friendliest option for serving beer is.

I'm torn between a Sanyo 4912 and a chest freezer. With the Sanyo I'd be able to serve 2x5 gallons of beer inside the house and it would look great. With the chest freezer, I could certainly have more capacity but I don't have the space inside for it so it would be banished to the garage.

When the hippies stop driving smoke belching VW buses and Mercedes Turbo Diesel I will think about it.

I've got 3 beer fridges, and I heat my garage (I tell my wife it's because I want her to have a snow free warm car in the morning, but it's really all about keeping my beer)
I say, don't ditch the fridge, but if you must, call me I'll come and "recycle" it for you... right next to my other fridges.

hollowdp said:
I'm torn between a Sanyo 4912 and a chest freezer. With the Sanyo I'd be able to serve 2x5 gallons of beer inside the house and it would look great. With the chest freezer, I could certainly have more capacity but I don't have the space inside for it so it would be banished to the garage.

the 5.0 cu ft holiday chest freezer fits three cornies and a co2 tank, and has just about the same footprint as a 4912....and is energy star compliant....have not noticed a change in my energy bills since i plugged mine in.:ban:

Hmm I have three fridges and two freezers. I have been meaning to replace my old juice-hog International Harvester lagering freezer. but my motivation is purely economical- I don't want to pay to run it anymore. Screw the tree-huggers.

Cows produce 1/3 of the methane added to the atmosphere by the US in a year. That's right on par with the amount of methane added by cars...

Methane is PROVEN to be a more "effective" greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide.

My sister-in-law is the epitome of a trendy, hipster eco-friendly, politically correct neo-yuppie, meaning she's also vegan.

She flipped when she realized that driving cows exitinct would eliminate as much methane as eliminating cars. I mean, if we didn't eat them... We'd already have done it. :)

[Edit: How this is relevant, I dunno... Yay for beer! ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scientists have found a new threat to the planet: Canadian beer drinkers.

The government-commissioned study says the old, inefficient "beer fridges" that one in three Canadian households use to store their Molson and Labatt's contribute significantly to global warming by guzzling gas- and coal-fired electricity.

"People need to understand the impact of their lifestyles," British environmental consultant Joanna Yarrow tells New Scientist magazine. "Clearly the environmental implications of having a frivolous luxury like a beer fridge are not hitting home. This research helps inform people — let's hope it has an effect."

The problem is that the beer fridges are mostly decades-old machines that began their second careers as beverage dispensers when Canadians upgraded to more energy-efficient models to store whatever Canadians eat besides doughnuts and poutine.

University of Alberta researcher Denise Young, who led the study, suggests that provincial authorities hold beer-fridge buy-backs or round-ups to eliminate the threat — methods that Americans use to get guns off the streets.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,313844,00.html

Well, I'll do my part now to save the planet. I unplugged the large dorm fridge just now. Happy?

(Actually, I've giving it away to my brew buddy Megan. She's going to convert it to a kegerator with a tower.) She lives alone and doesn't drink as much as I do, so the size is fine for her. She might be able to get two kegs in it, but she's only going to have one tap.)

So, after tomorrow when she picks it up I'll only have 4 fridges total. But I'm looking for another one for my cottage. :D

I suppose i could cut down on fridges.......................but im not.

kitchen fridge
basement fridge
Garage Fridge
kegerator
chest freezer (being converted)

1500 kwh / 300 kwh = 5

Well, either this can be used as justification to replace that old beer fridge with 5 more new ones.:ban:

Or another angle on it is, if the bunny huggers are so worried about the environment, they could stop spending money on STUPID studies (duh...we all know the more of anything we plug in, the more electricity it's going to cost us) and spend the millions that they spend on that kind of stuff, giving away new fridges in trade for the old ones.:ban:

Or better yet, if the bunny huggers really cared, they'd just go shoot themselves in the head, so they won't be producing any more C0, human waste matter, or using ANY of the resources that they are think we should feel guilty about using. :ban: :ban:

Ya know, I'd love to help save our planet, but right now, I need to ride the four-wheeler out across the cow pasture to my oil heated shop, retrieve some spotted owl breasts from my 1956 IH freezer, put a match to the burn barrel, and split up some old growth timber for kindling. If only I could see the shop through all of this smoke from the burning tires.;)

Let's see...get rid of my 20 year old Frigidaire beer fridge that's stil going strong and rely solely on my 5 year old Kenmore that just died for the second time in three months? I don't f'ing think so!! My beer fridge may be an electricity guzzler but at least it works!

ScoutMan said:
Ya know, I'd love to help save our planet, but right now, I need to ride the four-wheeler out across the cow pasture to my oil heated shop, retrieve some spotted owl breasts from my 1956 IH freezer, put a match to the burn barrel, and split up some old growth timber for kindling. If only I could see the shop through all of this smoke from the burning tires.;)

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!

Bernie Brewer said:
HA! Yeah, the other two weeks of the year they're actually refridgering something.

Nah, those 2 weeks they just need them so the skeeters won't take everything away.

Hey! My kegerator is MORE energy efficient than my food fridge! Bigger too! So there!

I have my priorities straight!

The Canadian Appliance Manufacturers Association estimates that typical 1985 refrigerator models use 1060 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of energy per year, while a 1975 model uses 1580 kWh per year. In contrast, more recent and energy-efficient models can use as little as 380 kWh per year.

What about my 1940something fermentation refrigerator?
fridge1.jpg

One of these days I'm going to sand it down and paint it. It should be beautiful when it's finished.

Fox News said:
The problem is that the beer fridges are mostly decades-old machines that began their second careers as beverage dispensers when Canadians upgraded to more energy-efficient models to store whatever Canadians eat besides doughnuts and poutine.

Nationalist bastards! Just because an American wrote the article doesn't mean the Canadians are all bad!

Signed,
An American Who Wishes He Was Born In Canada

IowaStateFan said:
Well, it looks like there's really no need to panic unless you're Canadian. foxnews.com is reporting "Study: Canadian Beer Drinkers Threaten Planet"[/URL] here http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,313844,00.html. The rest of the world's beer drinkers are much more responsible.
Like I have said many times... We should just turn that place into one bis A mirror.. Nuke them.... :drunk:

On a slightly more serious note . . . has anyone calculated the disposal costs of an old refrigerator versus the ongoing energy costs of using them as beer fridges?

I have an older (yet still Energy Star compliant) fridge in our garage. It came with the house and since we had a much better fridge it was relegated to secondary duty. It has since become the beer, brewing ingredients, film storage fridge. I can't imagine that running it is any more harmful to the environment than disposing of it. C'mon, how many non-biodegradable elements are in the average fridge? Does the few kWh that this thing sucks up each year outweigh the longterm landfill costs and environmental consequences of dumping it? Even with older, inefficient fridges, it's got to be better to keep them chugging along than to toss 'em in a landfill.

Just wondering.
Chad

So in the end, it's NOT a "frivolous luxury". Turns out we're "eco-friendly". :mug:

Someone tell the woman in the story to RDWHAHB, we're doing our part in helping the planet. :rockin:

Ize

Back