Cash for Clunkers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well hell.

Well, just because a car dealer said it, doesn't mean it's true!

Seriously, we were well prepared for this, picking out the car in June. The government just gave the dealers the rules on Friday, so it's new. People are definitely going to take advantage, if they can.

I know that there is a CARS website- check it out and see if your vehicle qualifies and then head out to a dealer just to see what's available.

Neither of my vehicles qualify, the mpg on both is too high. Plus, I've only had the clunker (it really does clunk) since November last. Seems I never qualify for these deals.:mad:

Neither of my vehicles qualify, the mpg on both is too high. Plus, I've only had the clunker (it really does clunk) since November last. Seems I never qualify for these deals.:mad:

Really, I'm suprised at how many really do qualify. The rules are pretty strict (must have owned for at least one year, insured the entire time, MPG under 19, etc). We just happened to have the Suburban all these years. We talked about getting rid of it when the price of gas went way up, but we knew it was only worth about $500 because it had new tires! We figured no one would buy it, so we just kept it.

It turns out that was a good move on our part!

I've had my clunker for way too long but the *NEW* published MPG rating is 21. The magic MPG number is 18. :(

Otherwise, my trade in value is just under $1000.

Ha.

I have a 2003 GMC, Sierra 2500HD, 6.0L, V-8, Reg cab, long bed, Automatic, with a trailering rear end (I forget the ratio). New, it got 17 combined. Going downhill with a tailwind.

IT DOESN'T QUALIFY. What a joke!

I think the reason yours does not qualify is because it is not old enough... i think 2001 is the cut date... Also you have a 2500 which might qualify as a "Work Truck" if so it will not qualify.

Still wondering what kind of tricks the dealers are using. Select models? MSRP pricing only? Sorry that model not available?
I know they are not giving cars away and would only be motivated by what they are going to be putting in their pockets.
IMHO car dealers are the most devious legal thiefs in the world.
AP

Still wondering what kind of tricks the dealers are using. Select models? MSRP pricing only? Sorry that model not available?
I know they are not giving cars away and would only be motivated by what they are going to be putting in their pockets.
IMHO car dealers are the most devious legal thiefs in the world.
AP

It isn't a dealer promotion so there really is nothing the dealers can pull. This is done by the gubment

I looked into this idea, but this pretty much kills it:

What to bring to the Dealer to qualify:

* 1 Year Proof of Insurance. If your insurance card does not cover the entire year preceding the trade in, you will need other proof of insurance. Contact your insurance company to get evidence of 1 year worth of insurance. The form must include, at a minimum, the insurance company, policy number, VIN, start and end date of insurance (showing at least 1 year).
* Proof of Registration going back at least 1 year.
* “Clear” title. This means the title must be free of any liens or other encumbrances. If you have liens, you need to get these cleared before going to the dealer. This may include evidence on the face of the title showing no lien; that the title has been cleared (signed and stamped accordingly), or with an attached lien release from the lien holder.
* The vehicle manufacturer date found on the driver’s door or door jamb is less than 25 years old when you trade it in.

If you do not have any of the above items in your possession, you may do the following:

* Call your insurance company and have them provide evidence of 1 year’s worth of insurance on the trade-in vehicle. Make sure it includes the minimum requirements noted above.
* Contact your DMV for copies of prior registration certificates to show proof of ownership of the trade-in vehicle for at least the past year. The name on the registration must be the same as the name on the title and the same as the purchaser of the new vehicle.
* Clear your title by paying-off any loans outstanding and receive either a newly issued title from the DMV that is free of all liens and other encumbrances, or have the lien release document from the lien holder (signed and stamped accordingly), or your title signed and stamped accordingly (showing it is clear)

Once you are at the dealer you will be asked to certify to the following under penalty of law. The above documents will provide proof to the dealer to assist in this certification process.

* The trade-in is in drivable condition.
* You are the registered owner, and have been for the least the last year.
* The trade-in has been continuously insured for the last year.
* The trade-in is titled in your name and has been for the last year.
* You have not previously participated in the CARS program.

I still have a lien on the POS, and it's not like I can just whip $2500 out of my ass to pay it off. Some 'deal'. hmph.

If they goal is to get "clunkers" off the road then why must it be running? If your vehicle is broken and your plan was to get it fixed then you actually do have to get it fixed BEFORE retiring it if you decide to go with this deal? More waste of time and money. I guess their way of proving you actually use the vehicle. What is the plan for all these clunkers, scrap or cars for the homeless? :D

Honestly, even though I understand there are many reasons why they could be doing this to me it just seemed like the government taking more of my money and giving it to someone else when I can least afford.

Yes, I don't qualify but even if I did I would still feel the same.

I have wondered this too. Where are the "clunkers" going?

Salvage parts? Back on the road used? Cuba? Scrap Metal? Or artificial reef?

Almost wish I could do this with my old car.. its 26 years old and gets 29MPG tho, so I don't qualify. I love my old Mercedes 240D but it would be nice to get a car with modern comforts.

If they goal is to get "clunkers" off the road then why must it be running? If your vehicle is broken and your plan was to get it fixed then you actually do have to get it fixed BEFORE retiring it if you decide to go with this deal? More waste of time and money. I guess their way of proving you actually use the vehicle. What is the plan for all these clunkers, scrap or cars for the homeless? :D

Those points are covered on the website. The original point of C4C was to help reduce emissions. The economic benefit (if any) is a secondary issue. A clunker that isn't running produces zero emissions. :) Per the program rules, all clunkers turned in must be scrapped. That's why you can't get trade-in money on a C4C car.

Those points are covered on the website. The original point of C4C was to help reduce emissions. The economic benefit (if any) is a secondary issue. A clunker that isn't running produces zero emissions. :) Per the program rules, all clunkers turned in must be scrapped. That's why you can't get trade-in money on a C4C car.

Yeah, I guess I should read and research before I comment but I have no plans of getting rid of our 2 vehicles, one each. I was pretty sure it had something to do with emissions, that is a no brainer, but just like the mortgage bailout this is something that does not benifit my household.

Reduce emissions? So add a dirty car tax to thier registrations, dont use my tax $$ to pay for it please. Make them pay for it.

Also, if the goal was not to boost the auto market, why do you have to buy a NEW car? They were on CNN the other night pounding the issue home that this was about the auto industry, getting cars sold, getting people back to work etc. The issue of emissions was not brought up.

I agree it will help with emissions, but if that was the goal, the mandate would not be that it has to be a NEW car. They can say what they will, but this is about moving cars... I mean, the govt. is in the car selling business now.

The C4C idea started way before the US auto crash Pol. No argument that subsequent factors made it more palatable to the politicians to vote for, but the original idea had been bouncing around congress for many years.

Why cant I by a used car that gets 25-35 MPG? I mean, that still takes care of the emissions issue... why? I mean, why buy a 20k car and get a $4500 rebate courtesy of the tax payer, when I could get a 10k car... pay cash, keep myself out of debt AND help the planet? That makes more sense to me.

I mean, debt is a large reason our country is so screwed now anyway... this is tempting to those who look for excuses to buy shiney things that they should not.

Saw an article in this mornings paper that said the recyclers were unsure if they were going to accept the cars. They claimed that up to 60% of the profit they make off of scrap cars comes from the resale of the drivetrain. Under the gubmints rules they require the dealers that take the "clunkers" to drain the fluids from the motor and tranny and fill it with a sodium silicate solution and then run the motor until it siezes.
AP

Saw an article in this mornings paper that said the recyclers were unsure if they were going to accept the cars. They claimed that up to 60% of the profit they make off of scrap cars comes from the resale of the drivetrain.

If those recyclers don't want the scrap, others will.

Right. My dealer got $4500 from the government, and $9200 from me. The balance was dealer incentives and a $3000 Hyundai rebate.

I also got $200 for the scrap value, and my dealer got $50 for his share of the scrap payment.

The goal is to get inefficient gas guzzlers off the road. The rules are strict, but it's because they don't want people heading off to a junkyard or someplace where the cars are intact but non running, or having people buying/selling these cars just to get the CARS money. They also want to stimulate the auto sales, so there is more than one motivation here.

The guy that drew this plan up years ago stated that he wouldnt have voted for it in its current form, congress made it a bastard of what it was meant to be. Thanks gubmint.

I'd probably do it if I didn't need a damn bus to haul my kids around in. :D Plus I put new tires and brakes on the Excursion within the last 12 months, so there's always that too.

I'd probably do it if I didn't need a damn bus to haul my kids around in. :D Plus I put new tires and brakes on the Excursion within the last 12 months, so there's always that too.

Yeah, but you and Emily have like 26 kids. :D

Now that I'm darn near an "empty nester", I need a smaller car and can unload my bus!

I just got a new car, but my truck didn't qualify (21-24 mpg). Got $4K for it anyway in a private sale, would have been around $3100 or so trade in, so I can't complain.

If those recyclers don't want the scrap, others will.
The problem with that is by the time the recycler has paid for, transported and salvaged the clunker car he claims he has 4-6 hundred dollars into it. Most of his return was from the power train, which is now junk, scrap steel at about a penny a pound, along with the rest of about 75% of the car. The plastic, aluminum and other assorted metals are a few more dollars. You don't make a living by paying 4-6 hundred dollars for something, then selling it for 250-3 hundred.
Sure, I know, the Chinese will buy them. :rolleyes:
AP

I don't know what research you did on Hyundai, but I have an 02 Elantra that runs like a dream. It also was the first year of above epic crash test ratings. So in all, you are buying an American made car, with great ratings and good gas mileage. Well done. Affordable too.

We went to the dealership yesterday to see if my old Dakota qualified. We ended up talking numbers on an 09 Mitsubishi Galant. Seemed like a good deal, had excitement of getting a new car going through our veins, so we told them we'd think about the offer over night and come back if we wanted it. Got home, calmed down, looked at actual numbers. Not really a great deal for me personally. Would be if you were looking for a Brand New Mitsubishi Galant, but I'm not. For the Price we would have payed through the life of the lone, I could get the vehicle I actually want with a normal 3-5 year loan (Used Wrangler), Keep my beater truck, and have enough for a brand new dirtbike.
Didn't look like such a great deal. I don't feel I deserve a Brand New car yet. I'm only 26. If I ever do decide to buy a brand new one off the lot I want to hand them a sheet of paper with my vehicle defined to the smallest detail, and say find that vehicle.

Seems like a good program for someone looking for a little car like you got there yoop and who has cash to pay the remainder.

If I ever do decide to buy a brand new one off the lot I want to hand them a sheet of paper with my vehicle defined to the smallest detail, and say find that vehicle.

Buy a BMW. You specify *everything* and you can arrange a discount if you "take delivery" at the plant in Germany. Oddly, the savings on the car tend to equate to the price of the flight and a night or two in a hotel. :p

When my Dad bought his BMW a couple of years ago, the "setting up your preferences" must have been about two hours, and they literally walked through the car and determined how you want each bit to behave. It's kinda neat.

I bought one used (sporty, stick shift, awd, and better than my old Celica) as part of getting a new job and having a longer commute, so I didn't get to decide as many settings, but you can still modify a fair bit through the dash. Nor did I get a trip to Germany. Ah well, I'll save that for when, like you, I finally decide to buy a new car! :mug:

(ps: Having someone else eat the depreciation on a 2 year old BMW is hard to pass up, though!)

Latest posts

Back