Carbonation/infection/preservative delema

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadnAle

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of a dark ale which just finished fermenting. However over the course of a day, some ugly looking black and grey mold grew on top. There were two nodes and lines coming out from them. And an overall film.
So I scooped the mold off the top.
Here starts the problem, I added POTASSIUM SORBATE and CAMBDEN TABLETS, the recommended amount to stop fermentation and preserve.
My plan was to use carbonation tablets instead of yeast and sugar. I was unaware that the tablets just contain dextrose for the yeast and yeast is still vital to the carbonation.

So how do I get this beer to carbonate? Is there anyway to get ride of the preservatives, re-pitch the yeast and bottle condition?
Any comments are greatly appreciated.

The yeast might tolerate the Campden tablets, but I have found sorbate to be a sure-fire way to prevent re-fermentation. I don't think there is any way to un-do the damage. So the choice is to keg or settle for flat beer. OTOH, in principle, sorbate only prevents re-fermentation, and does not stop active fermentation. So I guess you might have a chance if you pitch a large, active starter at bottling.

Dos Locos is right. The campden isn't the problem...the sorbate is. Its a fermentation killer.

keg carbing will work. bottle conditioning is going to be a gamble...50/50 shot I'd say.

Back