Help! Cider never fermented

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt L

Reaction score
Hi gang. I started a batch of cider about a month and a half ago. Fresh expensive stuff with a pound of corn sugar and Safale cider yeast. Fermentation never started, no activity, no change in gravity. Turns out I can’t read I guess because there is potassium sorbate preservative in the juice. I mixed up another pound of dextrose and more yeast after it got good and active and re pitched it. Been three weeks, no activity. Is it possible to do something else to save this batch before I give up and throw it away? Help!

Yes that ^^^ I’d get like 2 or 3 packs of dry yeast and pitch them all at the same time, I’ve read about getting it to ferment with preserves but it’s not easy.

Better yet, find a gallon of untreated cider, pitch yeast AND nutrients into that, and let her rip. Add that whole gallon of active fermenting cider to the mess you have and hope for the best. I have successfully overcome sorbated cider by doing this, but have never had to try after 6 weeks. Another thought- if you can't find any fresh unsorbated cider, try 1 lb of DME in 1 G water, and get that fermenting. Add that and you have made Graf.

Back