Caramelized Onion Flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chombo

Reaction score
Hello, so im going to bottle my first batch tomorrow and have been trying to think of a new batch to do. im going to be doing all extract since i have soo much left from my last batch, but i have been trying to think of something different to add.

Has anyone tried caramalized onions at all, im talking caramelized to the point where ALL the pungency is gone and its purely sweet. would this work at all? i would be sauteing the onions in olive oil (or butter)... would a few tablespoons of olive oil (or butter) be ok in the fermenter or is this a no no? when would be the appropriate time to add the caramelized onions? and is there a neutral flavored beer i should use?

ingredients wise i have:
amber malt extract syrup
pale malt extract syrup

2oz stacklebract (11%)
2oz cascade (5.4%)

thanks for any input!

i'd think adding fat would surely affect head retention. although there is that whole olive oil and yeast thing

Well, you could just wash off the onions after you caramelize them. Its an interesting idea. I'm still trying to figure out if it would be good or nasty. Not sure if it would be good in a pale ale or amber though.

You can counteract the oil by adding some lecithin to the mash and/or boil. This will emulsify the oil.

I've got a beer on tap right now that has great head, even though 6 Tablespoons of oil went into the mash, along with 2 Tbsp of lecithin (liquid).

Back