Flavored extract making question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am working at learning to make my own flavored extracts and what I have come across so far for making them is to use a neutral spirit with whatever flavorant. The two most common spirits used that I have seen are vodka and everclear with vodka being the predominant one used. I started a test test to see if there is any difference other than proof of spirit used and the cost difference, such as the amount or strength of flavor extracted. Currently I am doing four different flavors - peanut butter, cranberry, cinnamon, and ambrosia apple, each one done in a vodka version and an everclear version to start my comparative. I was wondering if any of y'all have tried both and found one to do a better job over the other.

Haven't used alcohol for extraction.

Only have done one real extraction. Was strawberries. Very Low heat simmered pile of strawberries. Then strained pulp. Simmered some more and finer strain. Then reduced to syrup. It was very strawberry. Used it for sisters wedding along with blonde ale. They could drink it straight up or add some syrup. Went over well. But keep in mind with heat and fruit pectins if adding to fermentor. Most commercial fruit beers are fully fermented with flavoring added at packaging.

For herbs etc. alcohol will strip the flavors and oils. Fats can be detrimental in head retention. Using 90%+ cocao bars will leave deposits of fat floating in the wort from my experience. Not a big deal as they don't make it in the keg.

Peanut butter, never tried and probably never will. There is a commercial version of powder available but not sure the extraction process.

Back