Can you Brew It recipe for Stone Arrogant Bastard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just brewed this and plan on leaving it in primary for 2 weeks and then racking it to secondary onto 2 ounces of oak chips. I cant wait im really excited for this brew its going to be delicious.

Finally got a chance to do a side by side with my Arrogant clone.

Really wish I would have used whirfloc as mine came out cloudy but aside from that was very close in color. Hop aroma was very close but the bittering was a bit off. Bittering on my clone seemed to smooth over throughout while the true Arrogant really jumped out as you tasted it. Malt profile seemed to be fairly close but the real Arrogant was definitely the cleaner of the two.

When I get around to brewing it again i'll repost.

2-2.jpg

Finally got a chance to do a side by side with my Arrogant clone.

Really wish I would have used whirfloc as mine came out cloudy but aside from that was very close in color. Hop aroma was very close but the bittering was a bit off. Bittering on my clone seemed to smooth over throughout while the true Arrogant really jumped out as you tasted it. Malt profile seemed to be fairly close but the real Arrogant was definitely the cleaner of the two.

When I get around to brewing it again i'll repost.

Based on your tasting notes, I think some of us might be able to stand on your shoulders. What was your final recipie (including the extra dumped in at flameout)?

Thanks!:mug:

Suppose that would help.

12.42 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 90.00 %
1.38 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
0.90 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (85 min)
0.90 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (45 min)
0.90 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (15 min)
1.30 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (0 min)
Yeast- Safale US-04

I doubled the batch for 10 gallons.

2 weeks and 3 days in primary and bottled in 22 oz bottles.

I just bottled my version about an hour ago. I'll be sure to post in a few weeks about how it turned out (preferably in a side by side!).

Suppose that would help.

12.42 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 90.00 %
1.38 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
0.90 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (85 min)
0.90 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (45 min)
0.90 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (15 min)
1.30 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (0 min)
Yeast- Safale US-04

I doubled the batch for 10 gallons.

2 weeks and 3 days in primary and bottled in 22 oz bottles.

You liked the aromatics in your batch? What about dry hopping? Perhaps upping the flameout addition to 1.5 oz? (I do love me some chinook aroma) You mentioned the bitterness in your brew wasn't as intense as the commercial bottle... do you think upping the 85 minute addition to 1.0 would do it? Up the 45 as well? Or raise the 85 minute beyond an ounce? Sorry for all the questions, but like many others I'd like to get as close to the commercial product (or even exceed it in terms of fresh chinook aroma) as possible, and your notes have already been very helpful. Looks like you nailed the color without raising the special B, for example.

You liked the aromatics in your batch? What about dry hopping? Perhaps upping the flameout addition to 1.5 oz? (I do love me some chinook aroma) You mentioned the bitterness in your brew wasn't as intense as the commercial bottle... do you think upping the 85 minute addition to 1.0 would do it? Up the 45 as well? Or raise the 85 minute beyond an ounce? Sorry for all the questions, but like many others I'd like to get as close to the commercial product (or even exceed it in terms of fresh chinook aroma) as possible, and your notes have already been very helpful. Looks like you nailed the color without raising the special B, for example.

If I were to brew it again i'd use whirfloc to help clean it up a bit, I'd start by raising the 45 min addition to 1 oz, and maybe try a 1 oz dry hop to get that arrogant hop flavor. Really having a hard time putting my finger on it though, you taste the real Arrogant and its just well Arrogant and my clone just didn't have that Arrogant character. Bright and clean come to mind when thinking about what my Arrogant F@cker as I like to call it was missing.

Good luck!

If I were to brew it again i'd use whirfloc to help clean it up a bit, I'd start by raising the 45 min addition to 1 oz, and maybe try a 1 oz dry hop to get that arrogant hop flavor. Really having a hard time putting my finger on it though, you taste the real Arrogant and its just well Arrogant and my clone just didn't have that Arrogant character. Bright and clean come to mind when thinking about what my Arrogant F@cker as I like to call it was missing.

Good luck!

I'm gonna guess that the yeast is the difference. s-04 is not the same as the WLP007 that Stone uses. 04 is more estery and malt forward. 007 is cleaner and drier.

I'm gonna guess that the yeast is the difference. s-04 is not the same as the WLP007 that Stone uses. 04 is more estery and malt forward. 007 is cleaner and drier.

Hmmmm, that could be. I've only used the s-04 a few times now so i'm not familiar with all its traits yet. Cleaner and drier sounds like what my Arrogant was missing.

I'll add that to the changes in the rebrew. Thanks!

Thanks Paulasaurus! I've got a vial of 007 in the fridge at the moment, so looks like I've got the yeast covered. I'll toss in my usual whirfloc tab, but this batch was probably going to be my first in which I use gelatin finings. I want this baby to look filtered! I think I'll up the 45 and 15 minute additions to 1 ounce apiece. I might dry hop... or I might save some of my chinook for another day! Thanks again for the feedback Paul -- I'll happily post when I brew and again when I do a side-by-side.

Although your information may provide some insight into recipe design, it falls short of a "clone". That information is far from a complete recipe. Just to clarify.

Eric

...But it sheds new light on the "clone" that the CYBI crew came up with: a second (possibly bittering) hop variety is used in AB. Stone is usually so tight lipped about this beer, this "revelation" is significant to many of us who love this beer and want to brew it. Columbus and warrior come to mind...

Although your information may provide some insight into recipe design, it falls short of a "clone". That information is far from a complete recipe. Just to clarify.

Eric

Maybe i should've rephrased the link. Bottom line is that According to one of Stone's Reps Arrogant Bastard uses 2 grains and 2 hops.

WLP002? I thought Stone used WLP007

Most would agree with you -- for some reason 002 keeps popping up as the "Stone house strain," but it doesn't match the attenuation/body of their beers. I think it all spawns from the Dec. 2006 issue of BYO magazine which reported that 002 is the house strain. Bizarre.

WLP002? I thought Stone used WLP007

I had thought the same as well. WLP002 is what the rep told us and the yeast used in their Stone Imperial Russian Stout and 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout clone recipe. Maybe they are telling us different things on purpose?

FishinDave07 said:
Maybe they are telling us different things on purpose?

You are probably right. Sounds like some of their brewers get tired of being asked questions about AB. I saw them at the GABF last year and asked if anyone has come close to figuring out the recipe to clone it and was told some homebrewers have come close. The only story I believe from Greg is that AB was originally a mistake on brew day.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I'll be brewing 10 gallons of AB, so I forsee an epic starter on my stirplate. Probably a two-phase starter, 1/2 gallon apiece. Gotta be huge! :)

Right on! :mug:

Could use some advice on this brew/starters. It will be my first time brewing with a starter. I do 10 gallon batches and haven't really ventured up into this level of OG, so haven't had any issues with pitching smack packs or vials. I have a 2L flask, stirplate and an aeration kit (I know some people like to aerate their starters as well), and 3 vials of WLP007 on the way.

Now using Mr.Malty's Calculator (I don't have the yeast yet so just using the default for the Viability %) with a Stir Plate I come up with a 2.31L starter using 2 vials of yeast. I only have a 2L flask, so I used the slider to set it to use a smaller starter. I come up with 3 vials in a 1.36L starter. Now obviously the best plan for the future would be to get myself a larger flask to handle a larger starter, but am I OK using 3 vials in a 1.36L starter? I'm not sure if thats too much yeast pitching into not enough wort or not.

Could use some advice on this brew/starters. It will be my first time brewing with a starter. I do 10 gallon batches and haven't really ventured up into this level of OG, so haven't had any issues with pitching smack packs or vials. I have a 2L flask, stirplate and an aeration kit (I know some people like to aerate their starters as well), and 3 vials of WLP007 on the way.

Now using Mr.Malty's Calculator (I don't have the yeast yet so just using the default for the Viability %) with a Stir Plate I come up with a 2.31L starter using 2 vials of yeast. I only have a 2L flask, so I used the slider to set it to use a smaller starter. I come up with 3 vials in a 1.36L starter. Now obviously the best plan for the future would be to get myself a larger flask to handle a larger starter, but am I OK using 3 vials in a 1.36L starter? I'm not sure if thats too much yeast pitching into not enough wort or not.

Either is fine.

I got my 3L flask from Brewmaster's Warehouse and it has served me well. I use it as my primary starter flask, even if I'm only doing 1L. Just trying to decrease my chances of a boilover.

Eric

yes, 3 vials into 1.36L should work fine.

Another option is to do a 2 step starter. By doing 2 steps you can buy just one vial and save money. 1 vial into a 2L starter on a strip plate will produce approximately 3 vials wort of yeast. When the first step is complete, crash cool the starter in the fridge overnight to make the yeast drop to the bottom. Decant all the liquid and take that yeast and make the 1.36L starter that you determined with the calculator.

If your doing 10 gallon batches you will eventually want a bigger flask. I use a 5L flask. For high gravity 10 gallon batches and lagers you will want a combination of flasks to do 2 steps. I use a 2L and a 5L.

Color is too light, lacks the hop aroma kick, and needs more hop flavor. Tinkering will dial it in.

So, perhaps 12% SB up from 10%? Maybe move the 15 minute addition to the 10 minute mark (better for flavor extraction) and double it? Double the flameout addition as well, or perhaps a 1-2 oz dry hop addition? A modified version of the CYBI recipe is my next batch, and I'm gonna go 10 gallons and oak half, so I want to nail it... :mug:

I upped the special b to 15% and made all the hop additions a full ounce. This saturday im racking onto 2 ounces of oak chips for a week and then I am bottling it. From what I can see from my hydro sample I nailed the color in a side by side with the special b at 15% so that could be the number we're looking for.

Hello

I did this profile last year, in a 5 gallon batch:
1.75 oz Chinook [11.40 %] (60 min)
1.1 oz Chinook [11.40 %] (20 min)
1.6 oz Chinook [11.40 %] (1 min)
96.7 IBU total
1056 yeast
This was dull, no arrogance at all. Similar, but no kick. I found it kind of dull.

I want to try:
2.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (90 min) Hops
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (45 min) Hops
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (20 min) Hops
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
Dry Hop: 1.0 OZ
164 IBU total - Is this crazy?
WLP007 yeast

Do you recommend Special B or try C120 instead. Maybe the Special B complicates the taste, unless the 1056 yeast did not dry it out enough. I had some residual sweetness in my 1st AB attempt. I think I'll use C120 instead with the WLP007.

When I get around to this recipe I'm going to use C-120. The raisin taste from using it in other recipies makes me think C-120 could be correct. I'm also only going to use 2 hop additions. 60 minute and a 60 minute steep at the end of the boil with whirlpool. I also think the recipe is too light.

So, perhaps 12% SB up from 10%? Maybe move the 15 minute addition to the 10 minute mark (better for flavor extraction) and double it? Double the flameout addition as well, or perhaps a 1-2 oz dry hop addition? A modified version of the CYBI recipe is my next batch, and I'm gonna go 10 gallons and oak half, so I want to nail it... :mug:

During the mash it really had the aroma of AB and I was excited. It is still a good beer but I was not able to reproduce CYBI results. So far I just adjusted the late hops 2oz @ 15m and 2oz at 0m. To me the color needs to be more red.

I just brewed the CYBI Arrogant Bastard with WLP007 on Sunday. Had a real nice starter that I pitched in around 7PM Sunday night. I've got the morebeer heated/cooled conical so I can set the fermentation temp to whatever it is I need. This was my first beer with White Labs yeast, and me being an idiot, I read the vial and see that it says 70-75*, so I set the cooler to kick on if it hit 75 to bring it down to 73, and the heater to bring it up from 71 to 73. It wasn't until this morning when I realized that I didn't know what the attenuation % of this strain was that I saw white labs site that it should be 65-70.......balls.

I came home at lunch and changed the temp range, but by this point the vigorous fermentation was done. Luckily it has been in the 40s mostly in the garage, so the temp never got above 73, and probably spent most of its time at 71-72.

How estery do you think this is going to come out for a 10G batch?

I just brewed the CYBI Arrogant Bastard with WLP007 on Sunday. Had a real nice starter that I pitched in around 7PM Sunday night. I've got the morebeer heated/cooled conical so I can set the fermentation temp to whatever it is I need. This was my first beer with White Labs yeast, and me being an idiot, I read the vial and see that it says 70-75*, so I set the cooler to kick on if it hit 75 to bring it down to 73, and the heater to bring it up from 71 to 73. It wasn't until this morning when I realized that I didn't know what the attenuation % of this strain was that I saw white labs site that it should be 65-70.......balls.

I came home at lunch and changed the temp range, but by this point the vigorous fermentation was done. Luckily it has been in the 40s mostly in the garage, so the temp never got above 73, and probably spent most of its time at 71-72.

How estery do you think this is going to come out for a 10G batch?

I think you will be fine, WLP007 at 70 tastes just great to me, so I don't think 71-72 will be an issue at all.

Just mashed in on this one about 20 min ago. Making some changes with the 15 min and flameout hop. Looking forward to this one.

Thanks EricCSU. This is all good stuff.

I am going to try this out, but I am going to have to try it as an extract. I have converted it to the best of my fledgling ability and based on what I will order to make it.

I think where my big dilemma comes from is the boil time. Since I wont be mashing anything here, my boil time is only 60 minutes. Also, since my boil volume is going to be 3.5 gallons, I am going to need to increase the hop additions to get the IBUs close. I realize this wont be nearly as close as they were able to get, but listening to the podcast, I think they are 95% on board with the 90/10 DME/Special B.

Here is what I am thinking:

Batch Size: 5 GAL
Boil Size: 3.5 GAL
Original Gravity: 1.072
Final Gravity: 1.016
Color: 18° SRM
Mash Efficiency: 75%
78.6 IBU
7.5% ABV

8 lbs Briess CBW Golden Light DME
1 lb Special B
1.5oz Chinook (60)
1oz Chinook (30)
1oz Chinook (15)
1oz (Flameout)

I am interested in suggestions on the hop additions or any input on the recipe at all. Again, I have more experience studying brewing than actually doing it so I would appreciate any input.
Just a weird thought, but what about the first hop addition during the 30 min steep? That would allow for the 90 minute schedule.

Any thoughts on maybe dry hopping another 1oz to help with aroma due to the low boil volume?

Since I wont be mashing anything here, my boil time is only 60 minutes.

I don't understand why you can't boil for 90 minutes. Mashing and the boil are entirely separate phases in your brew day, extract or all grain. What is to stop you from boiling your water/steeped grain/extract mixture for 90 minutes?

So brew day went very well. Overshot OG a bit and hit 1.076 no biggie. My hops changed 3/4 oz FWH because I'm working with a smaller pot than I should.
I also changed the 45 min to 3/4oz.

Final 2 additions were 1oz each.

Will report more as process progresses.

Thanks EricCSU. This is all good stuff.

I am going to try this out, but I am going to have to try it as an extract. I have converted it to the best of my fledgling ability and based on what I will order to make it.

I think where my big dilemma comes from is the boil time. Since I wont be mashing anything here, my boil time is only 60 minutes. Also, since my boil volume is going to be 3.5 gallons, I am going to need to increase the hop additions to get the IBUs close. I realize this wont be nearly as close as they were able to get, but listening to the podcast, I think they are 95% on board with the 90/10 DME/Special B.

Here is what I am thinking:

Batch Size: 5 GAL
Boil Size: 3.5 GAL
Original Gravity: 1.072
Final Gravity: 1.016
Color: 18° SRM
Mash Efficiency: 75%
78.6 IBU
7.5% ABV

8 lbs Briess CBW Golden Light DME
1 lb Special B
1.5oz Chinook (60)
1oz Chinook (30)
1oz Chinook (15)
1oz (Flameout)

I am interested in suggestions on the hop additions or any input on the recipe at all. Again, I have more experience studying brewing than actually doing it so I would appreciate any input.
Just a weird thought, but what about the first hop addition during the 30 min steep? That would allow for the 90 minute schedule.

Any thoughts on maybe dry hopping another 1oz to help with aroma due to the low boil volume?

I would recommend downloading Beersmith. You can plug in all those variables and get the exact numbers you need to convert this to a partial boil recipe. I could do it for you, but you would learn a ton by playing with the numbers yourself. It has definitely taught me a lot.

You can do a 60 minute boil, that's not a big deal. I dry hop a lot of my beers, so that could work well too. It may not be exactly like AB, but I think it couldn't hurt the beer.

Good luck.

Eric

Back