Can you Brew It recipe for Stone Arrogant Bastard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My version: 6 gal. The hops I'll just convert to 7/8 oz since I have it in bulk; if I was buying an oz at a time I would round up and simply add the full oz. Will prob end up mashing closer to 150F, not that big of a deal to me and try to keep the fermentation temps closer to 70F if possible.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 8.38 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 21.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 74.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
13.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.00 %
1.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
0.85 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (85 min) Hops 32.0 IBU
0.85 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (45 min) Hops 27.6 IBU
0.85 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 14.9 IBU
0.85 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 15.00 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
40 min Step Add 18.75 qt of water at 159.1 F 148.0 F

anyone have an idea/suggestion on mash thickness?

also, I have about 1.75 oz of colombus hops that Im thinking about using for the first addition or two (dont want it to go to waste).. i know that will make it a different beer...Im just wondering:

1. How different?
2. should I just match IBU contribution for my addition weights?
3. Will this change the flavor so much that I should I just leave the colombus in the freezer and buy another 2 oz of chinook.

thoughts?

im gonna brew this next weekend so any suggestions would be great.

cheers.

If you want to be as close as possible, use the Chinook like they suggest. With Colombus you will have a fine beer, it just won't be AB.

I've subbed things before on clones and been elated and disappointed depending on how wild and crazy I got.

If you want to be as close as possible, use the Chinook like they suggest. With Colombus you will have a fine beer, it just won't be AB.

I've subbed things before on clones and been elated and disappointed depending on how wild and crazy I got.

thanks samc

anyone have a suggestion for mash thickness? 1.1, 1.3?

Looks like MikeG is going with 1.25, so, unless anyone has a better suggestion, Ill go with that.

water profile?

If it's anything like the rest of the stone beers, they take the local San Diego water, dilute it 50/50 with RO water, and then use salts to get as close to London Water as possible.

San Diego water profile:
Ca++: 37
CO3--: 115
Cl-: 95
Mg++: 18
Na+: 83
SO4--: 160

At least, that's what I've heard.

anyone have an idea/suggestion on mash thickness?

also, I have about 1.75 oz of colombus hops that Im thinking about using for the first addition or two (dont want it to go to waste).. i know that will make it a different beer...Im just wondering:

1. How different?
2. should I just match IBU contribution for my addition weights?
3. Will this change the flavor so much that I should I just leave the colombus in the freezer and buy another 2 oz of chinook.

thoughts?

im gonna brew this next weekend so any suggestions would be great.

cheers.

I'm also brewing this on the weekend. I see no problem using the Colombus for the 85 minute bittering, make sure IBUs match. After that(45....0) I would use Chinook. I am going with 1.25 mash thickness. I also switched my grains to get to 90/10 w/ OG1.066. I'll post later. I'm going with a 5.5 gallon brew, numbers are close to Mikes but lower as he went with 6 gallons. I hope to make my starter this Thursday for a Saturday or Sunday brew.

if i didnt have a mead too bottle along with kegging 3 batches i would brew this Sunday.

:(

Not that I have been following this thread at all, but I just made a beer using the first-wort hopping method and I thought that brought the same hop taste that I got from SAB. Just thought I'd toss that hand grenade out there for you guys.

I didn't realize how much a smaller boil would affect hop utilization (more learning provided by the College of hard Knocks) so mine won't be nearly bitter enough, but here's the details on my first partial mash AB attempt.

http://beer.hexkrak.com/2010/11/23/my-first-arrogant-bastard-clone-attempt/

Next time I'm going to mash more 2 row and cut some of the Light LME since I found I still had plenty of room in my brew pot. I'll also fix my hops schedule so that I come out around 67 IBU.

Here' my recipe for AB Saturday brew: (still too dark)
Arrogant Bastard Clone
Old Ale (This is considered an American Strong Ale)

Type: All Grain
Date: 12/4/2010
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.33 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Brew Pot (12.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.42 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 90.00 %
1.38 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
0.90 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (85 min) Hops 32.1 IBU
0.90 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (45 min) Hops 27.7 IBU
0.90 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (15 min) Hops 15.0 IBU
0.90 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.066 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.61 %
Bitterness: 74.9 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 22.4 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name:
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 13.80 lb
Sparge Water: 4.92 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 17.25 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F

Here is the updated recipe from the re-brew show:

SG: 1066
IBU 94.8
SRM 22.5

90 minute boil

90% US 2-row 6.5kg
10% Special B 730g

24g chinook 13%AA @ 85m
24g chinook @ 45m
24g chinook @15m
24g chinook @ 0m

WLP007

Mash at 148F

Notes:
The majority deemed this cloned, but Tasty (the brewer) believes that he could get the recipe closer and would like to brew this again. Jamil believes that the only difference is a slight change in aroma, which he believes is due to pasteurization of the Stone AB.

would S-04 (and two packages) be recommended instead of WLP007 which I don't have a source for? TIA

sweet, Im gonna try this recipe this weekend too!! Making the starter tonight for a monday brew day.

let us know how it goes :).

missed my OG. Don't know what happened!! Usually get 75% ef. Not this time, ended @ 1.058 for a 68% ef. Kinda bummed but it's still beer:) My temps dropped in my mash tun. Started @ 149 but dropped to 145!! Temps around here are getting really cold perhaps I should have taken that into account. My first winter brewing this season.

missed my OG. Don't know what happened!! Usually get 75% ef. Not this time, ended @ 1.058 for a 68% ef. Kinda bummed but it's still beer:) My temps dropped in my mash tun. Started @ 149 but dropped to 145!! Temps around here are getting really cold perhaps I should have taken that into account. My first winter brewing this season.

I've been letting Beersmith calculate the strike temp based on the temp of my grains *and* mash tun. This has worked well for me so far.

huh.. well you only missed it by a bit.
How long did you mash?
how did you sparge?

did the rest of your brew day smooth out?

huh.. well you only missed it by a bit.
How long did you mash?
how did you sparge?

did the rest of your brew day smooth out?

mashed for 75 minutes
2 batch sparges @ 10 minutes each

rest of brew day went smoothly. Pitched the yeast starter and had activity later that same day.
Usually I don't worry if my Eff is off but when I try to make a clone, I want my numbers to be closer.

Just listened to the show but didn't pay too much attention to two things: SG (I thought Tasty said 1071 but the latest recipe here has 1066 so I thought I'd ask) and also fermentation temp--did anyone catch this?

mashed for 75 minutes
2 batch sparges @ 10 minutes each

rest of brew day went smoothly. Pitched the yeast starter and had activity later that same day.
Usually I don't worry if my Eff is off but when I try to make a clone, I want my numbers to be closer.

I gave it a shot yesterday.. Hit my mash temp perfectly, but had trouble keeping it there (I did stay within 5 on either end and at 148 for the majority of the mash time)--- RDWHAHB.

everything else went well except that when I put the carboy in the water bath and started the swamp cooler(carboy at 70 deg)....I cooled a little too much (carboy temp was 64 this AM when I went to check). I took the swamp cooler down and put in a couple of warm water bottles vs. the frozen ones. Hopefully it wont be 75 when I get home :drunk:.

I dont think one night at low ferm temps will hurt anything... oh well, RDWHAHB.

Tonight... im going to try making some spent grain bread. :)... gotta love this hobby.

Just listened to the show but didn't pay too much attention to two things: SG (I thought Tasty said 1071 but the latest recipe here has 1066 so I thought I'd ask) and also fermentation temp--did anyone catch this?

I did notice a different OG. I will double check it later. I never heard a ferment temp, I will ask Tasty what he did.

Eric

thats interesting, because at 1066, the IBU was 87 ish, outside the style characteristics... I just figured, "how arrogant.";)

came home to a beautiful sight... a crazy yeast orgy, big head of krausen, and 66 degrees on the fermometer... sweeeeet. (excited to be able to actually keep the temps below room temp--means Im getting better at this swamp cooler thing).

hopefully thats the fermentation temp, but it would be nice to know what tasty did, since this is, after all, a clone. I can still adjust, balto too for that matter.

Made this a couple weeks back, nailed the OG and it's finishing up now. I think it's damn close and I used one pack of S-04 instead of two and my numbers are finishing up pretty close to right (I'm at 1.016 now with a few days left).

SG 1071
FG 1013
80 IBU
27.6 SRM

WLP007, ferment at 67F

I'm assuming the numbers didn't change too much from the original recipe, did they? OG 1071 and 67*--that answers my question. If anyone gets the chance to listen to that part of the brewcast again please post what they did the last time around.

I'm assuming the numbers didn't change too much from the original recipe, did they?

actually.. they did. Just a little though.

Hey guys,
Heard back from Tasty and it seems like this is very, very, very close. I didn't hear the entire show due to work, but it seemed like everyone but Tasty thought it was there. Here's the info I have:

OG 1.066

90% US 2-Row
10% Special B

Chinook 24g 13%AA @ 85', 45', 15', and 0'.

WLP007

Anyone else surprised that the recipe is this simple? That there is no dry hops?

I totally believe that this recipe will get your there, but I was a bit surprised how simple it is too.

Thanks to Tasty for all of his hard work.

Eric

thought it was 75.. woops. eh, shouldnt cause too much trouble.

right?

Well, that is what he told me.

But, when I brew this, I will mash for 90 minutes. I always mash for 90 when I go 148 or lower, otherwise I risk an unreliable efficiency.

Also, whenever I do a 90 minute mash, I do a 15 minute boil extract pale ale while I wait for the mash. Two beers for the time it takes to do one!

Eric

Also, whenever I do a 90 minute mash, I do a 15 minute boil extract pale ale while I wait for the mash. Two beers for the time it takes to do one!

Eric

I went with the original 75 minutes and think this is why my eff was lower than expected. Next time I will go with my typical 90 min. Smart idea going w/ a second brew.

Back