Can somebody please tell me to RDWHAHB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmos

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed an Oud Bruin in July 2012. I sort of forgot about it and it has been sitting in secondary in the back of my brew-closet getting funky for about 15 months or so. I added a number of bugs including a vial of ECY, dregs of Orval and other funky brews. In the past 6 months or so it has developed what I assume is just an odd pellicle (see photos).

My concern is that this grown only covers part of the top of the beer (every other pellicle I have had has uniformly covered the beer). It has also grown up the side of the glass (never seen this before).

Am I actually looking at mold?? If so, am I correct in assuming that I can taste it and simply rack from below?

Thanks!

photo.jpg

photo (1).jpg

Sort of forgeting about it is perfect with sours. Looks fine to me. Every sour will be different, and they don't always form a pellicle. Usually will form one (and get thicker) with progressively more oxygen exposure. I'd say it looks perfect.

RDWHAHB!

Looks OK to me.

You can taste it if you want to find out what it is like. Per Papazian, there are no known pathagens that can grow in beer .......... (= it is safe to drink).

I can't speak to sours from a brewing perspective, but have racked out from under mold a few times and never gotten anything off flavored.

Back