Can anyone explain how this works?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k1v1116

Reaction score
I was reading my copy of Principles of Brewing Science 2nd ed, and came across a reference to "mash filter 2001tm" on page on pg46. After looking it up online I found this:

Meura - Meura 2001 Carbo +

It seems to be a lauter system that uses filter plates and a inflatable bladder setup to extract the malt sugars more efficiently. However I was unable to find any detailed explanation of how they avoid tannin extraction or any details that might be necessary if someone was interested in building a system like it.

Does anyone know of this system or any details about it especially tannin extraction?

The 2001tm may mean "2001 Trade Mark".

Try this website
Mash Filter Use in Brewing Beer

What they are talking about on this website using a monofilament PP plastic cloth as the filter media. The grain bed is not used to filter the wort. By using a mixed filter media they can pump or press the wort through instead of gravity draining it.

(Okay, I've learned a lot about filters in the past year. You don't want to know what my job is.)

Ok, but there must be more to it than just a fine filter. People who use the brew in a bag method are warned against squeezing the grain bag because of tannin extraction. I realize this is a little different but the grain husks are still in there, do you think they use a lower temperature maybe to avoid tannin issues since the improved extraction compensates for the reduced solubility of the wort sugars?

That page says they can use grain with the husk removed which would eliminate the tannin from the equation.

I've got a cheap little book on british brewing and it mentions this method. So you remove the husks as they are no longer needed to form a filter medium and just mash the starch component.

Assuming you can then get hold of some of this mono filament pp sheet, what sort of pressures and maybe temperatures is the equipment exerting on the sheet to get the wort through, and how often is the junk scraped off the sheet? It does not look like an easy process for us to copy, but there are a lot of us on here!!!!
Someone must work near one and can take a peek at the manual:)

I'm guessing a sheet of monofilament PP is heavy duty expensive.

I would imagine that 10 - 20 psi would be more than enough.

I also think that temperature control would be more of a hassle. From Thermo: as pressure increases, temperature increases.

.....(Okay, I've learned a lot about filters in the past year. You don't want to know what my job is.)

You know, the first thing I think when someone says, "Don't push the shiny red button!" is pushing the shiny red button. LOL, What do you do for work? *chuckles*

Say... That there mash tun... 14 or more brews a day? Sounds crazy. Wonder what % the brewhouse effeciency is. :tank:

I've had a look at my cheap book :- (Beers and Breweries of Britain, by Roger Putman. Shire books. ISBN 0-7478-0606-3. £5.99. First published 2004)

The featured machine is the Meura 2001 and is in Interbrew's plant in Glasgow.
The text backs up the previous info...an inflatable diaphragm squeezes the wort against the cloth. It then relaxes and sparge water enters and the process is repeated.

Back