Buying a plate chiller...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JadeMonkeyStang

Reaction score
So due to the discovery of a giant exit wound right in the center of my immersion chiller, I'm looking to purchase a plate chiller and I'm also looking for some advice.

From the research I've done I understand that length is more important (insert off-color joke here :ban:) than girth, often expressed as the number of plates. There are a lot of different plate chillers out there and I'm certainly welcome to suggestions but I'm thinking that one of these would be a good option:
www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=HX2330BWC
www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=HX2330BWGH

They are the same aside from the fact that the first one uses 3/4" and 1/2" male NPT fittings while the second uses garden hose and 1/2" male NPT fittings. Is there a strong reason to go either way? I'm planning to use my garden hose to provide chilling water for now but that might not always be the case.

So let me know which chiller you would buy and what type of fittings you would want on it so I can have one in time for the AHA Big Brew on May 5th!

I have a Dudadiesel 40 plate chiller and I really like it. I can go from boiling to 64ish in one pass with spring/fall ground water. In summer my water is a little warmer and I can get down to 70ish in a single pass. Normally takes 6-7 minutes for a 5 gal batch.

Back