It's those little details about hose barbs that'll get you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoengine

Whale Noun Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Because they got me. I ordered TC - 1/2" NPT fittings for my plate chiller, and then got some 1/2" hose barb - TC fittings and some 1/2" hose. Already you probably know what got me here, but if not then you'll see with this picture.

20231124_122045.jpg

Even with this evidence I didn't really put this together until putting a caliper on things. Why was 1/2" NPT 1/2" but a 1/2" hose barb not 1/2"?

Oh, but it is!

20231125_222851.jpg

on the OD. Because the hose ID is 1/2". In retrospect this is rather obvious. However then I have the problem of having a smaller hose to supply my pump and subsequent plate chiller. I ordered 3/4" hose barbs which I estimate to have an ID of around .55" (the listing doesn't say: I estimated based on the 1/2" hose barb ID being about 73% smaller than the OD), which is slightly larger than the 1/2" NPT adapters ID, which'll help keep the pump fully supplied.

Probably just going to use 1.5" gaskets for now since the IDs will all be different.

This will be my first time pumping. Is having a smaller ID running to the pump and then back out again problematic?

NPT for a hose barb that has a sanitary fitting on the other side? NPT would be for a hose barb that has pipe threads, male or female on the other end.

How do they describe the hose barb fitting on the label that came with them or from the description where you purchased them.

The label in the picture appears to be for the one thing that does have pipe threads.

You have to watch out for some that are really metric, but close to ansi fractional inch sizes. Metric descriptions of port and hose fittings aren't quite what NPT and other ansi standards for hose and other connections base their fit on.

Last edited:
It seems like 1 in every 5 posts I make, I'm recommending hardware from @Bobby_M ..... My own rule of thumb when looking for efficient hardware solutions seems to be What Would Bobby_M do? Apart from his own unique products, he's the only seller I've found that informs you about details like bore-sizes.

NPT for a hose barb that has a sanitary fitting on the other side? NPT would be for a hose barb that has pipe threads, male or female on the other end.

How do they describe the hose barb fitting on the label that came with them or from the description where you purchased them.

The label in the picture appears to be for the one thing that does have pipe threads.

You have to watch out for some that are really metric, but close to ansi fractional inch sizes. Metric descriptions of port and hose fittings aren't quite what NPT and other ansi standards for hose and other connections base their fit on.
I don't use any NPT - hose barb. I use TC adapters and make use of TC equipped hoses. My problem here was the ID of the hose barb was 25% smaller than the hose ID, creating a restriction. @Broken Crow's suggestion is great because it simply expands the hose to get the same ID all the way through.

Back