Duda / Plate Chiller Initial Test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim M

Reaction score
Decide to go back to a plate chiller so I got a new one from Duda Diesel. I’m thinking I would feel better using it for the first time if I pressure test it or leak tested it.

One of a few reasons I would like to do this is because it shows some strange circular & oval marks on the bottom plate like from manufacturing I think but not sure, so instead of making a big deal and sending it back only to get another one with the same thing because it’s how it made I think I should test it. Any suggestions or advice?

Last edited:
it shows some strange circular & oval marks on the bottom plate [...]
Can you post a picture of the bottom, showing the offending marks, maybe?

I would feel better using it for the first time if I pressure test it or leak tested it.
Although I wouldn't expect any issues, you can easily pressure/leak test it with domestic water pressure. Just attach a water hose to an external wall spigot. That probably has the most pressure, and could well be as high as 65 psi, so please, be careful!
Connect the other side of the hose to one of the ports, while securely closing off the opposite port. When turning on the water there should not be any sound, or water coming out of the other "chamber."

I've been using a 30-plate Duda plate chiller for 14 years without any problems.

A few hints and recommendations:
  • Put male camlocks (I use all 1/2" ones) on every port for easy connect, disconnect, reversal, cleaning, etc.
  • Mark wort and water side, clearly.
  • Always use the wort side for wort, then you'll only have to clean that side.
  • Don't send any hop matter and and other (larger) solids through the chiller. For that you'll need a good and fairly sizeable (mesh) filter (e.g., Hop Stopper) on your exit port, inside the kettle.
  • In lieu of a (large) exit port mesh filter, bag all your hops, spices, Irish moss, etc. or use a hop spider or hop basket. Basically contain all solids, to prevent them from ever entering the chiller.
  • Use regular domestic (tap) water to get the wort down from boiling to ~140-120F. Then use cold/ice water to bring it down to pitching temps.
Enjoy that chiller, they're awesome when you handle them the right way!

69B5B48A-035E-4934-9B44-E72B15746749.jpeg

Are those stains of some type? Almost looks like it was left upside down wet and dried like that...

Cheers!
Not sure but went to the Duda site and looked at a pick and noticed something similar on their site pic.

I'm sure whatever it is is harmless plus it's gonna be outtasight once it's mounted so nbd.
I don't recall anything like that on my 12" B3-23A-30 but honestly I might not have noticed it if it did.

Have fun with it! Duda makes killer chillers :D

Cheers!

Not sure but went to the Duda site and looked at a pick and noticed something similar on their site pic.
You may be able to polish them off with some BKF if they annoy you. But they are on the bottom, so you won't see them normally.

You may be able to polish them off with some BKF if they annoy you. But they are on the bottom, so you won't see them normally.
Yeah not really worried about looks as long as interior is working properly. I fear leaks in places I can see😬 particularly if chilled water was combining with my wort.

Disclaimer I might be hyper paranoid when it comes to my brewing!

Last edited:
I have a Duda plate chiller… has the same markings… never had a problem. I’ve since gone back to an immersion chiller (Jaded Hydra, with my old IC as a pre-chiller in an ice water bath). This reduces my cleanup time, eliminates sanitation concerns and I can now let the hops swim freely in the kettle. Not quite as efficient but it works better for me. Those Duda plate chillers are pretty amazing though. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back