Building a keezer into a bar? Who's done it? How?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKH

Reaction score
In order to have a keezer in the house, SWMBO has declared it has to be built into (disguised into?) a beautiful bar. The bar must be ~7' long, ~countertop height, thin enough to fit through a door, cypress or reclaimed wood, and she wants a granite top. The freezer is an Igloo 10.6cu ft and would probably be in the center with cabinets for wine/liquor/glasses on either side.

I'm comfortable with the requirements; the issue I'm running into is how to load/access the keezer. With a granite top, I don't want to open up the keezer and have to lift the granite. I think this means I'll have to slide the keezer out to load it and, since the back of the bar will be up against a couch, I'll have to slide it out the front. Have you built or seen any setups like this?

I assume taps need to be on the front of the keezer so they slide with it, rather than lines going to a tower, which would then be a pain when pulling out the keezer? What about putting the keezer on casters rather than rails? Any downside? Theoretically I could then roll the keezer out of the bar and onto the deck if there was occasion.

These are a couple examples I found along the lines of what I'm thinking.
One, Two, Three

Any success or horror stories? Any good threads you've seen that I missed? Tips or tricks? Would you do it differently?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back