Bubbles transferring to bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
Two of my last four brews I've had bubbles in my auto siphon tubing while racking to the bottling bucket. Both of these times I had hop bags over the end of the auto ciphon to filter out hop matter. Can't really see how that would be a culprit. It would have to be a loose connection with a hose, right? Our could it be the two main parts in the auto siphon itself?

For what it's worth, the slight bubbling didn't seem to affect either batch and they've both been great.

You want to have good seals on everything so that you don't get air sucked in from a venturi effect, but in all likelihood what you're seeing is super-saturated CO2 coming out of solution. In other words, not a problem. :mug:

If using whole hops there could be o2 molecules attached to the leaf matter compressed in the bag, which are drawn up with the suction of the auto siphon. You could also have a loose hose, but I would expect to see leakage of beer when siphoning from one of the connection points.

I had an auto siphon that the gasket between the cane and the outer tube was not a tight fit, so I would get some bubbles when I racked. I just took a sanitized turkey baster and shot a little wort abouve the gasket. Problem solved.

I had an auto siphon that the gasket between the cane and the outer tube was not a tight fit, so I would get some bubbles when I racked. I just took a sanitized turkey baster and shot a little wort abouve the gasket. Problem solved.

I've had the same issue but the seal was so bad, it would suck the beer past the gasket and the start to bubble again. I've tried lubing, not storing assembled, and even slowing the flow (which works somewhat). I never had this problem with the smaller ones. Maybe the big ones just suck harder?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Interesting. I'll pay close attention to this part of the auto ciphon next time and hopefully this will fix it. Thanks!

I've had bubbles as well on occasion, and I chalk them up to excess CO2 that is being released from solution.

With the length of time that you're (probably) going to store your beer, I don't think aeration even from a vigorous venturi would cause much harm. All the more reason to keep the pipeline moving, and flowing over your gums.

Latest posts

Back