Brewmasters English Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
Ok so I fermented for a week then bottled the brewmasters english pale ale last week. Sat it primary for a week and went right to bottles. I did not want to use a secondary yet because I wanted to test my next batch with a secondary carboy.

I popped one open last night just to see if I did something wrong and from what I tasted and poured I made beer! Now the only thing is the taste is a little off balance. The beer smells good tasted pretty desecnt. Tastes like an esb, just how i like them.

My only problem is I'm used to my beers being a little sweeter. When I took a sip it definetly was carbonated perferctly, but I could not put my finger one what was wrong with it. Someone told me when you pop open a beer early when bottling its because all of the flavors havn't settled and sometimes you get an unbalanced taste which is what I tasted.

I'm happy my first beer turned out fine so far but i'm just curious if the sweet factor will maybe come into effect a week or so into the bottling process...

it seems like you definitely need to give your beer some time. You've probably got a green beer on your hands that needs some conditioning. As for a sweeter taste, I'm not sure if you'll find that later on. Personally, you might be lucky that your beer isn't too sweet as extract beers often are (I'm assuming you're doing extract). If my first batch had finished at a slightly lower gravity, it would have been better (but it was still good!). I wouldn't worry about your beer being a bit off balance, with more experience (and some information from HBT) you'll be able to work that out. Be glad that your beer is good!

I am glad I was amazed. I poped the top open and that noise! Even had the smoke that comes out of the bottle when you open a bottle of beer! Good beer the color was actually a nice golden brown color which seemed right to me.

If you like it when it's green, you'll love it when it's done!

The sweetness, sorry to say, will most likely not reappear. My green beers/wines do taste slightly more sour than they taste when they've matured, but they don't tend to get any sweeter as they age.

Back