brewing pot size and dimensions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williec30

Reaction score
from what i understand, it's better to have a brew pot that has a smaller diameter (and taller) vs. a bigger diameter? is this correct?

how would this work for a brew pot?

pot.jpg

I don't think a taller pot is better than a wide one but you may get more evaporation with the wider model. That is not a bad thing but you will need to account for it in your process.

That pot you have there looks like a good one for brewing. How big is it?

I'd say the overall volume is more important when compared to the orientation of the pot. Just from looking at it, I'd say it's a candidate. Is it stainless, or aluminum? Do you have a lid for it? When you kill the heat and crash cool it, the lid keeps it protected from nasties flying down on the air.

Whether or not the pot is suitable largely depends upon the batch size you're shooting for, and whether or not that pot will be able to handle an adequate boil for that volume.

I don't think a taller pot is better than a wide one but you may get more evaporation with the wider model. That is not a bad thing but you will need to account for it in your process.

That pot you have there looks like a good one for brewing. How big is it?

thanks guys...

the pot is 40qt aluminum and i am not sure about the lid, but that is on my list of questions to ask.

When you kill the heat and crash cool it, the lid keeps it protected from nasties flying down on the air.
<disclaimer=im new> I have read that you dont want to lid the pot during cooling till you have the wort under 160 deg F. Its still driving of DMS at this point and the nasties cant live in anything that hot. After 160 you want to add a lid or cool fast and pitch good yeast.

I have a 50 quart aluminum pot that I use. It looks about as wide as yours, but deeper. With the wider diameter, one thing I would say is I do loose a lot due to evaporation. During a one hour boil, I can loose up to a gallon. And that's playing games with the lid. Without the lid on at least partially, I'd probably loose a lot more to evaporation.

I think tall-skinny pots help reduce boil overs. As long as it's big enough or you take appropriate measures it does not matter.

I believe the DMS should have been boiled off before cooling. I don't put a lid on until it stops steaming so it cools faster.

<disclaimer=im new> I have read that you dont want to lid the pot during cooling till you have the wort under 160 deg F. Its still driving of DMS at this point and the nasties cant live in anything that hot. After 160 you want to add a lid or cool fast and pitch good yeast.

That's one of those arm-chair expert factoids, kind of like leaving a beer in the primary for longer than 3 weeks is sure to spoil it. After a 60 minute boil, any DMS remaining is minimal. Chances are much higher you'll get contamination than you will notable DMS.

Indeed, when I first started brewing, I did a batch with the lid on nearly the whole time. Took it off for a minute here and there to stir. The batch turned out fine, and only later did I discover the whole DMS debacle. I now, of course, boil with the lid off -- but as to leaving the lid off after removing from heat? Nonsense, say I.

thanks guys...

the pot is 40qt aluminum and i am not sure about the lid, but that is on my list of questions to ask.

I have a 50 quart aluminum pot that I use. It looks about as wide as yours, but deeper. With the wider diameter, one thing I would say is I do loose a lot due to evaporation. During a one hour boil, I can loose up to a gallon. And that's playing games with the lid. Without the lid on at least partially, I'd probably loose a lot more to evaporation.
Isn't aluminum bad for brewing?

There is nothing wrong with aluminum just keep it oxidized. It has some great advantages. Stainless is better in some ways though. My post was only a (bad) joke. These points have been argued too many times to bother doing it again. I have a aluminum pot and two stainless pots and I'm going to use them all.

I'd imagine a wort chiller would be more effective in a taller, skinnier pot. With a wide pot, you're only going to get a few coils submerged. But, then, an ice bath would be more effective in a wider pot because of the increased surface area.

There is nothing wrong with aluminum just keep it oxidized. It has some great advantages. Stainless is better in some ways though. My post was only a (bad) joke. These points have been argued too many times to bother doing it again. I have a aluminum pot and two stainless pots and I'm going to use them all.

what does one use to keep the pot oxidized properly? i know that chemicals like iodine and peroxide will do that, will they suffice?

Latest posts

Back