Wilser bag woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those big batch pics you're showing from Wilser's website are of a big volume mash, but not very big grain bill. A lot of that volume is still in the kettle in the form of wort.

This is something like 14-16lbs in a 5G kettle. 1qt/lb. Trying to get a hitch on the bag itself is really tough. By the time it's drained it could more easily be done, but by that point why bother.

20210615_114952.jpg

20210615_125853.jpg

20210615_132321.jpg

ETA: That's my annual once a year big brew. 1.100 barleywine or imperial stout. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. My typical brew is the same push-the-limit mash volume @ 1040-60 @ 5-8lbs and I choke the bag easily.

Last edited:
BrewHardware says a 20 gallon BIAB kettle is good for "6 to 12 gallon batches with practically no upper ABV limit."
BrewHardware also says that you shouldn't try to do a full volume mash with more than 25 lbs of grain in a 20 gallon kettle:

"BIAB is typically done as a full volume mash with no sparging which means when the grain bag is removed, you are left with enough wort to begin boiling down to the finished batch size immediately. This makes the total kettle size important. The chart below shows the max gravity you can achieve per batch and kettle size assuming a no sparge process.

Batch SizeKettle Size (gallons)Max Grain Weight (LBS)Max Gravity at 70% efficiency
As you can see, by contrast BIAB will require a larger kettle than multi-vessel brewing all else being equal."

BrewHardware also says that you shouldn't try to do a full volume mash with more than 25 lbs of grain in a 20 gallon kettle:

"BIAB is typically done as a full volume mash with no sparging which means when the grain bag is removed, you are left with enough wort to begin boiling down to the finished batch size immediately. This makes the total kettle size important. The chart below shows the max gravity you can achieve per batch and kettle size assuming a no sparge process.

Batch SizeKettle Size (gallons)Max Grain Weight (LBS)Max Gravity at 70% efficiency
As you can see, by contrast BIAB will require a larger kettle than multi-vessel brewing all else being equal."

I think you're misreading this. The line you highlighted shows a batch size of 15 gallons (mine is 12 gallons). A 15 gallon batch with 25 gallons of grain is about a 19.6 gallon full mash volume. I think the reason they're saying 25 lbs is the max (for a 15 gallon batch size) is because you literally can't fit any more grains without overflowing the kettle. To get to the same 19.6 gallon level with my 12 gallon batch size would allow 49 pounds of grain.

In fact, I think that chart supports the idea that my 12 gallons 36 pound mash is reasonable - the chart legitimizes a 19.6 gallon full volume mash in a 20 gallon pot (my mash is only 18 gallons).

Does my interpretation of the chart sound reasonable?

Last edited:
Bottom line is the bag size is what it is. If you want more neck in the bag with that type of load you will need to get a taller bag.

I can see why you might want a taller bag, and understand you think Wilser owes you a taller bag. But, I'm not seeing Wilser's culpability.

Last edited:
Here folks is the main reason why 98% of my business is now wholesale.

I recall this nightmare like it was yesterday, even though it was years ago, the OP and I traded at least a half dozen emails w him wanting to debate me at length.

I suggested using the draw string to hoist and that was unacceptable to him for many reasons….then I suggested attaching the hoist to the drawstring and hoisting the bag off the bottom of the kettle, allowing more bag slack up top to wrap the choker…
Also to mention, the OP’s kettle is unusually short and wide, that may also contribute to his issues…
After at least a half dozen emails, I offered to make him a bag to whatever dimensions he desired at a discount, to which I received no response.
Also of importance, this happened years ago, so I would assume he’s using the bag, but it’s not in sync with his idiosyncrasies or medication jk…

It’s a fact, you can’t please all the people all the time, no matter how hard you try…

To my 9,999 other satisfied customers, thank you.
I regret making this sale and apologize to the OP for the hardship I’ve caused.

It’s a fact, you can’t please all the people all the time, no matter how hard you try…

To my 9,999 other satisfied customers, thank you.
I regret making this sale and apologize to the OP for the hardship I’ve caused.
It's bound to happen at some point. People are just people.

We've offered suggestions and nothing works, so I'm assuming this is just a way to complain.

I just wanted the same experience I had with my first bag and that I see in pictures of others using your bags. Instead, cinching the bag is now the only frustrating part of each and every brew day. After considering other possibilities, I believe the only reason for this is the bag should have been made taller.

You're the expert in bag design and we operate by the rules you set: we give you kettle dimensions and you choose the bag dimensions. If you build a bag that isn't tall enough, I need to just buy a new bag till you get it right?

You once claimed: "no other vendor comes close to standing behind his product like myself, with regard to warranty repair / replacement." That's why I thought I could just explain my situation to you, show that I was diligent at troubleshooting it, and you would make me a new bag. Especially for a repeat customer. Instead you quickly decided I must be doing something wrong and treated me like garbage.

I offered to make him a bag to whatever dimensions he desired at a discount,
You lowered the price from $27 to $25, which I think most people would take as the same type of insult as leaving a single penny tip at a restaurant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back