Brewing a Berliner With Lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironchefmiyagi13

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Having made Lactose IPAs with much success, I am wanting to give a go of a Lactose Berliner and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this? It will be getting additions of fruit puree, and I want it to be as thick and creamy as possible.

Cheers!

Just to be clear, there isn't some odd pre-existing style I'm not aware of called "Lactose Berliner" that isn't a sour?

If you're thinking about a sour with lactose, I think you'd have to do a kettle sour and add the lactose during the boil where you kill off the lactic acid bacteria. I'm not sure what kinds of sugar bacteria can "digest", but the only microbe that I'm sure wont consume lactose is traditional brewers Saccharomyces. Not sure what Brett, Lacto, and Pedio can utilize.

@dmtaylor you forgot to mention India Chartreuse Ale

A brewery nearby (buxton brewery) does several beers (some as colabs with omnipollo) as kettle sours with lactose. They do a lemon meringue pie as one example which I had recently. I know this isn't a berliner, but it is pretty much the kind of thing you are aiming for. Commend you for tackling it.

The process has already been described. Mash. Heat to pasteurise (or don't). Kettle sour. Boil (or heat to pasteurise again). Ferment with sacchoromyces. Do your thing. I'd definitely kettle sour so you can add the lactose at the end of whatever boil method you choose to use.

I've had good success with controlled souring (pitching a large healthy proven culture) and I've gotten away with just fly sparging hot (80C at least) so far as a poor man pasteurisation prior to this. Benefit of the proven culture is predictable outcome, clean souring with a fast turn around.

I've found sharp fruits help add more complexity to a kettle sour which can often be too simple/clean (though this is definitely desirable sometimes).

As to the beers I've had (sour, lactose, fruit) I find them pretty unpleasant. I like sour beer, but I'm starting to prefer them light, crisp, clean and refreshing. When they start to get too complex there is often too much fighting amongst the flavours. While I can appreciate the intent and the execution they are often a curiosity for me. I've got approx 50 bottles of a bretted cherry kettle sour which while a brilliant colour, is just a bit too beery (hopped too much) and with too much spice, clove floral antiseptic brett notes for me. I've also got approx 50 bottles of a lemon lime hibiscus gose which is much more drinkable, but I wish I'd left plain.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm giving this style a go as well. There have been several breweries around me really pushing the fruity, heavy berliners. Recently having had some from aslin, veil, tired hands and others, I was inspired. I just added lactose last night along with the zest of 5 meyer lemons at boil along with some sorachi ace at flame out. I plan to add some more hops, lemon peel and maybe a vanilla bean after 7 days. I'm going for a lemon meringue pie kinda thing. I'm trying to pair the lacto bitterness with some fresh lemon zest brightness and a little sweetness to balance it out. Added some 001 and will see how it goes!

Ive made quite a few milkshake style sours that were based on a Berliner grainbill but pushed them to about 6-7% abv. 1-1.5lbs of lactose is a good amount for a 5g recipe. I typically add 1 to 1.5 lb/gal of fruit and 2-3 vanilla beans so when when I pushed it to 2lbs of lactose it was precieved as too sweet. Here is a pic of a raspberry milkshake sour I did with orange zest and vanilla beans
2D13B9B1-4600-458E-BE1F-3C9E56D7A22B.jpeg

Just want to say:
Kettle souring = not necessary.

Bacteria will not consume the lactose.
:mug:

This came out awesome! Huge hit with the guys and gals in the brew club! Here's a little write up and pic for those who're interested:

Hey there!

I saw your write up and would love to know if you still have your recipe for this lactose berliner weisse laying around somewhere. Miami Weisse sounds delicious!

Back