Longest Brew Day Ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschoeffler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Patience is a virtue that hasn’t applied to my brewing hobby until yesterday. Aside from starting a brisket at 0730, I had scheduled my barleywine (target tap date is Thanksgiving) with an already ambitious reiterative mash with specially order Chevalier malt. I double-milled the malt while filtering and adjusting the mash-in water. I tried to light the burner with no flow-flame. I know the tank isn’t empty but check it with the backup. Still nothing. I have an old 3-tier brew sculpture with an equally old propane line. I pull this and the pressure valve is stuck…closed. Off to Home Depot at 0900 on a Sunday. All they got is a universal hose that turns out to be a ‘low-flow” valve. The malt is milled. I’m committed. This thing works but I’m stuck with very, very long heating times, like 90 to get 6.5g to boil. And I preboil/chill LODO-style. I finally mash-in and immediately start heating the sparge, which takes an hour. Two mashes later and after a total of 10hrs, I have a great wort. This is my second attempt at a 100% Chevalier barleywine (now with 10% Becker’s invert #2) and I’m very optimistic.
Moral of the story is to stick with your routine no matter what gets thrown at you.
PS: I did order a high flow (30PSI) propane hose to avoid this mess next time.

Back