How to make woodruff syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brushwood Brewing

Cast your bread upon the waters
Reaction score
I planted some sweet woodruff next to my hops this spring, and it's done real well. I have a Berliner Weisse on tap right now, so I'm looking to harvest the woodruff and make some traditional woodruff syrup to try in it. I've never had it before, so I'm not sure I'll like it as much as the Berliner Weisse on its own, but it seemed fun to grow it and give it a shot.

Does anyone have any experience making woodruff syrup? Or harvesting and drying the woodruff? My quick search in Youtube yielded a variety of different methods.

I would Google translate “traditional woodruff syrup recipe” into German and then search for an easy recipe Online.
worst case there’s a few deutch speakers around here you could ask

I planted some sweet woodruff next to my hops this spring, and it's done real well. I have a Berliner Weisse on tap right now, so I'm looking to harvest the woodruff and make some traditional woodruff syrup to try in it. I've never had it before, so I'm not sure I'll like it as much as the Berliner Weisse on its own, but it seemed fun to grow it and give it a shot. Does anyone have any experience making woodruff syrup? Or harvesting and drying the woodruff? My quick search in Youtube yielded a variety of different methods.

The March/April 2013 issue of Zymurgy has an article on syrups for sour beers by Sean West which has a recipe for Waldmeistersirup (Woodruff Syrup):

2 cups (473 ml) water
1.5 cups (337 g) sugar
0.25 tsp. lemon juice
1 generous cup woodruff sprigs/flowers
or 1 oz (28 g) dried woodruff

In a small saucepan with a heavy bottom, mix the water and sugar over medium heat until the sugar dissolves completely. Remove from heat and add the woodruff and lemon juice. If using fresh woodruff, you will need to bruise the leaves gently by pressing them against the pan with a spoon. Return pan to burner, bring to a boil, and then immediately turn down to simmer for about 15 minutes. Cover and refrigerate the entire mixture for 24 hours. Strain the syrup into a storage/serving container.

In the book The Homebrewer’s Garden they say, “Pick the leaves throughout the season. Dry the leaves before using, since the herb has no scent when fresh but acquires a strong, pleasant aroma as it dries.” They also mention that it was traditionally “dry hopped” in white wine to make Maibowle or May wine.

My wife planted sweet woodruff last year and it is growing really well. I need to try this myself. I'll probably harvest a bit and crush/bruise it and then check every once in a while until it is fragrant before using.

Thanks all.

@Witherby I might give that a try. Though given the comment from @lumpher I might use a light hand when mixing.

That Zymurgy article does give a warning:
Note: woodruff can potentially be harmful if ingested at high levels due to the toxicity of coumarin, the organic chemical compound that gives woodruff its sweet smell. Drugs.com recommends 3 to 3.5 grams of fresh woodruff per liter of beverage and that it should be avoided altogether during pregnancy and lactation. Large amounts will also lend the syrup an unpleasant medicinal flavor.

I also harvest "dangerous" sassafras root for root beer. I think you had have to ingest a LOT of either for it to be harmful. Germany is way more regulated than the US and they use the stuff, so I'm not too worried myself. [edit--I guess I should be somewhat worried!]

Last edited:
That Zymurgy article does give a warning:

I also harvest "dangerous" sassafras root for root beer. I think you had have to ingest a LOT of either for it to be harmful. Germany is way more regulated than the US and they use the stuff, so I'm not too worried myself.
Is that a fair comparison though? Safrole may be carcinogenic in high doses over a long period of time. Coumarin is a blood thinner that can cause a lot of harm is too much if ingested.

I'd be careful with it.

Is that a fair comparison though? Safrole may be carcinogenic in high doses over a long period of time. Coumarin is a blood thinner that can cause a lot of harm is too much if ingested.

I'd be careful with it.

Good to know! I will be more careful and should not have been so cavalier.

I found this web page which gives more info on its use (or not!) in Germany:
It Tastes Green - Oxford Food Symposium

"Few mass-produced woodruff flavoured foods still use the actual herb. This is due to concern over its potentially toxic coumarin content, but also because artificial flavouring is more reliable and less dependent on the weather. Real woodruff is a seasonal delight, available only from April to June, and anyone who works with it must manage natural variations in intensity and taste. Some producers marketing to adults have chosen to use the real thing. This is legal, as long as the coumarin limit of 2mg/kg is not exceeded11. Most woodruff still goes to individual buyers, though. Traditions die hard, and Germans just love that green taste."

Latest posts

Back