Brewing 2 different batches in the same room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nachov

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got a question which might seem gullible:

Is there any problem with brewing 2 batches with 2 different yeast strains in the same room ?

I guess no. Since there are heaps of yeast strains in the air anyway; so adding a new yeast strain next to a batch should not make any difference.

As long as you use a different equipment (e.g. different spoon, different strainer) or same equipment but sanitized.

Lots of commercial breweries brew different beverages at the same time (of course in different vessels :D )

So, I don't see why I should be worried about brewing 2 different batches in the same room.

Do you reckon?

Any suggestion, comments would be welcome.

Cheers.

Your airlocks are designed to keep things out of your brew, so I don't see a problem. I've brewed different batches with different yeasts with the carboys almost touching, never had a problem.

I've heard of a guy making cheese and brewing beer in the same room :D

2 different kinds of fermentation; and nothing went wrong.

The thing is that I'm using a yeast sachet and I'm going to use only half the sachet.

So, I don't want to dispense with the remaining yeast and I don't want to store the remaining yeast either (I think there is a risk it could be contaminated by mould and bacteria).

So, I'll brew 2 batches :D

I reckon it will be just fine. I do it almost all the time. When I make wine I usually do two to six batches at a time. Sometimes each with a different yeast, though most of the time there is only two to three different types of yeast I use.

It's funny how sometimes we think a question is silly then it turns out to be a big deal, and other times it's nothing. Point is, ya just never know; Ask when in doubt, as you did.

Happy brewing, please tell us how everything works out: Good or otherwise.

I do it all the time and store them in the same fermentation chamber. As long as your Kosher with the process and don't cross contaminate with stir spoons etc. Its all good. Have you been in a small brewery lately? Man they got all kinds of fermenters going at the same time.

Cheers
Jay

I worked in a small commercial brewery, that was 1 year ago.
Just for a couple of days.

It was an organic brewery, in New Zealand.

That was not the kind of top notch technology brewery (no computer assisted fermentation).

But they brew great organic beer;
with organic German malt and rainwater (there is no shortage of rainwater in New Zealand and it 's as pure as it gets).

As far as I remember, the room was equipped with 9 vessels (1 vessel is 1200L capacity = 260 gal).

I saw 3-4 vessels in active fermentation at the same time.
The room was quite small actually, probably 20feet x 30feet. The vessels were just 2 feet apart.

Different kinds of brews: IPA, pilsner, dark ale, stout, porter, strawberry pale ale,...

Brings back memories :D

Latest posts

Back