Way too high OG - 1.500. Any way I can fix it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolepa

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I made a mistake and am looking forward to potentially fix it – just my hope.

Here is my case: yesterday I made batch of mead which should become a pineapple melomel in future... I used a “batch builder” to calculate needed amount of mead, Fermaid-O and Go-Ferm for certain ABV level and sweetness… When I measured SG before I added yeast slurry it was 1.500. Way too high! Now I realized that I had to remove certain volume of must and add some water to lower must’s gravity… I didn’t. I pitched the yeast and in 21 hours I can see only very-very weak bubbling…. Usual bubbling at this point of time is pretty vigorous. So… What I didn’t do when I had to, I am planning to do today: remove some must and replace with water. My questions for you are:

• Should I go this way or there are any other potential ways to fix it?
  • If I go this way, should I add any extra amount of yeast? If I should, can I add different kind of yeast because I don't have same yeast at the moment?
Here are details on my batch:

I was planning to go up to 18 ABV and have semisweet (1.015) mead

4 gallons batch

Room temperature 60F

16 pounds of honey

2 gallons of spring water

2 packets of Lalvin 1118 yeast

Go-ferm: 12.5g

Using TOSNA 2.0 protocol

1701024082996.png

I am looking forward to your suggestions, advices, help.... Thank you all!

DBhomebrew, I can assure you that my measurement is correct - I measured must gravity three times: when the vessel wasn't 100% full, after I added some water and it was full and third time after I pitched yeast. I made this mistake only once, when I was making my first batch and didn't take measurements correctly. After that I always was diligent about that.... At least I tried! ;) Any suggestion for my situation?

I understand your hesitation to trust my measurements. I didn't expect such A high gravity myself.... But right now activity in fermentation is really low after 26 hours... I understand that very high gravity put yest under stress... I had batches with 1.300 & 1.200 and didn't have any single problem with fermentation - it was pretty active and went to FG 1.005 or so. I understand - ambient temperature was deferent: 70-74F. This time is temp is 60F.
BTW, what is FWIW?

I don’t think your hydrometer reading is correct. In fact I’d go as far as saying it’s impossible to get 1.500 out of 4 pounds per gallon.

You could have read 1.500 but I suspect the honey and water weren’t mixed well. Stratification can severely impact readings and honey can be very difficult to fully mix into water.

Another thought, if there’s interference with your hydrometer, like it’s resting on the bottom of a graduated cylinder, you can get unusually high readings.

I wouldn’t mess with removing must. Let it roll as planned. If your volume and honey weight are accurate, then go with the planned OG as being more accurate and disregard the errant measurement.

Quick glance with an ABV calculator and 1.150 to 1.018 gets you almost 18%.

1.500 is like 64% LOL.

That yeast indicates handling up to 18%. So it may do it, but not be super happy and could take a while. And you might want to temper your final gravity and ABV targets in case it stops a little short.

I don’t think your hydrometer reading is correct. In fact I’d go as far as saying it’s impossible to get 1.500 out of 4 pounds per gallon.

You could have read 1.500 but I suspect the honey and water weren’t mixed well. Stratification can severely impact readings and honey can be very difficult to fully mix into water.

Another thought, if there’s interference with your hydrometer, like it’s resting on the bottom of a graduated cylinder, you can get unusually high readings.

I wouldn’t mess with removing must. Let it roll as planned. If your volume and honey weight are accurate, then go with the planned OG as being more accurate and disregard the errant measurement.
I'll bet you're missing a digit. Talking about 1.500, 1.300, 1.200... I'm sure you mean 1.150, 1.130, 1.120. BIG difference. I'm sure we'll be much more helpful when you acknowledge the missing digit after the decimal.
Oh, my.... How stupid of me.... 4 hours of sleep time for last two night took toll on me... I messed up and didn't even paid my attention to it.... My hydrometer doesn't go that high! I am so sorry for that....
Thank you all: YES, you are right - it was 1.150 this time. Previous measurement were 1.130 & 1.120. Whew.... This is not that bad.
Nevertheless, activity is much slower than usual. Why? Temp change? Sounds from you like I should let it go and see....
Once again - THANK YOU ALL OF YOU VERY MUCH!!

Quick glance with an ABV calculator and 1.150 to 1.018 gets you almost 18%.

1.500 is like 64% LOL.

That yeast indicates handling up to 18%. So it may do it, but not be super happy and could take a while. And you might want to temper your final gravity and ABV targets in case it stops a little short.
Agreed. Even though yeast tolerance is up to 18 ABV, it's not necessary it's going to stop at that point and can go a bit higher or a bit lower.
I am not exactly concerned about precise ABV - I would like that it start bubbling more actively at this point.

Honey is around 35 gravity points per pound. (16 x 35) / 4 = 140. So it should be 1.140 give or take.

Way too high, will exceed the alcohol tolerance for every yeast. I’d add another gallon of water if you have a big enough fermenter. That should get you to more like 1.115 and you could even add more and go down from there if you want. For strong meads I usually go between 1.100 and 1.110.

Remember meads ferment to zero, they don’t finish higher like beer. 1.100 to 1.000 is a little over 13%. 1.140 to zero says 18.3%. Thats pushing even champagne yeast.

Last edited:
Honey is around 35 gravity points per pound. (16 x 35) / 4 = 140. So it should be 1.140 give or take.

Way too high, will exceed the alcohol tolerance for every yeast. I’d add another gallon of water if you have a big enough fermenter. That should get you to more like 1.115 and you could even add more and go down from there if you want. For strong meads I usually go between 1.100 and 1.110.

Remember meads ferment to zero, they don’t finish higher like beer. 1.100 to 1.000 is a little over 13%. 1.140 to zero says 18.3%. Thats pushing even champagne yeast.
Thank you, bwibly. Nice formula to use when needed... Unfortunately, there is no room for additional water in my 4 gallons fermenter.
Regarding to OG.... My hydrometer looks solid, not damaged so I trust it and it shows 1.150.... I just ordered another one from Amazon - just in case.
After added Fermaid O to the this relatively slow fermentation phase, I don't expect it's going to finish at 1.000... so... I doubt that ABV percentage will be that high to push the yeas.... Will see. I'll give it four weeks to complete (or till fermentation is finished), rack it and add 6 pounds of pine apple chunks but this is for another phase...

I wouldn’t worry too much at this point. Continue with your TOSNA schedule and it’ll be done when it’s done.

18% ABV is high but people do it all the time. Be patient, feed it as scheduled and stay the course. An 18% mead is a marathon, treat it as such.

I find vitamin C useful in yeast starters - years ago I made 2 identical starters and added vit C to one - it definitely got going quicker - so OP was saying slow to get going - so I said add vit C and nutrient - but if recommended amount of nutrient already added don't bother....

Hi gang! I am back again and I am sorry for being a pest.... but I need your advice again:
When I measured SG in one week it went down to 1.129 from 1.150
Today, two weeks later from when I pitched yeast it was .1.086. I expected SG will be at around 1.050 - 1,040 at this point considering that fermentation is still going but slowing down considerably. Doesn't look like even Lalvin 1118 is not going go though... My goal was to go till gravity hit 1.015 (1.010 would be even better) but I afraid this is not going to happen. My question for you: does it make sense to add a bit more yeast at this point or it's too late and won't help to reanimate fermentation? If you thinks it's ok to add yeast - can I add Lalvin 1116 instead of 1118 because I don't have 1118 at the moment?
All your responses will be much appreciated. Thank you.

You're at less than 6% abv so I don't think overworked yeast is your issue. I'd rouse the yeast, warm it if you can, maybe another dose of nutrients.
This is what I was thinking about and is the reason I am going to buy a FERMENATION HEATER CARBOY WARMER. Am going to place an order on Amazon right now... So, you don't think of add more yeast to an existing fermentation? The ambient temp in my house is around 68F but it's around 65F where my carboys located... I would prefer it to be around 70- 73F... Not higher...

Good morning and Merry Christmas!
Today is a month since I pitched yeast. Almost two weeks ago I pitched one more packet of yeast (Lalvin 1116). I followed yeast rehydration process... I bought a "Carboy warmer" and hold temperature of must 70/71 consistently... Fermentation process started again but didn't last too long - maybe 2-4 days and then stopped. Last time I checked SG almost a week ago and it was 1.070. I measured SG today and it's 1.069basicaly the same... It tastes nice but way too sweet. ABV calculator shows 10.5 but to my taste it's about 5/6. I don't think that I can do anything to make my mead going again and at the same time it's not really drinkable - way too sweet... I don't really want to dump it either. Please give me your advices/recommendations if I can improve mead quality. Add some kind of acid? Anything deferent?
Thank you!

Counterintuitive perhaps, but... if you were to water it down, the yeast might become more happy at the lower gravity and ferment a little more for you. And, you would be reducing the sweetness (but of course yes the ABV as well).

So... maybe consider adding a gallon of good ole water.

So... maybe consider adding a gallon of good ole water.
Thank you, Dave! But.... wouldn't you consider this is kind of too late at this phase? Also, my 4 gallons fermenter is full and there is no room to add water but I can remove about one gallon of must to 1 gallon carboy and make some room.... How much water would you recommend to add to 3 gallons of must?

Back