Brewery Wants My Twitter Handle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, no not really. I've never had a rauchbier.

The beer is like your first coffee as a teenager. You might have to drink a few of them to get warmed up to the style.

Start with one when grilling something that will get char marks or if you're feeding the smoker with wood chips.

If you like Mexican and Chipotle peppers that might be a good mix with this beer. Get a can of this Chipotle in adobo. Puree it, then marinate your choice of meat in this. I like this on boneless chicken, pork chops and ribs and then thinly sliced beef (skirt steak).

I love it on skirt steak in tacos with the small corn tortillas covered with caramelized onions. Then drizzle some lime to finish it off.

I did this with country style ribs lately, over the holiday. Marinated it, then baked in foil at 350F for an hour. Then grilled just to get grill marks on both sides, then let bast with your favorite BBQ sauce for about 20 minutes. Just enough to carmelize the sugars of the BBQ sauce.

Takes a bit but then you've had a few rauchbiers by eating time.

I do love smoky stuff (although I am meated out from the weekend!), so I'll hunt some of these down.

The beer is like your first coffee as a teenager. You might have to drink a few of them to get warmed up to the style.

Start with one when grilling something that will get char marks or if you're feeding the smoker with wood chips.

If you like Mexican and Chipotle peppers that might be a good mix with this beer. Get a can of this Chipotle in adobo. Puree it, then marinate your choice of meat in this. I like this on boneless chicken, pork chops and ribs and then thinly sliced beef (skirt steak).

I love it on skirt steak in tacos with the small corn tortillas covered with caramelized onions. Then drizzle some lime to finish it off.

I did this with country style ribs lately, over the holiday. Marinated it, then baked in foil at 350F for an hour. Then grilled just to get grill marks on both sides, then let bast with your favorite BBQ sauce for about 20 minutes. Just enough to carmelize the sugars of the BBQ sauce.

Takes a bit but then you've had a few rauchbiers by eating time.

For the post above. This is the chipotles in adobo I like to use.

Then the country ribs I made.

Here's a link to things you can do with chipotles in adobo.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/04/canned-chipotles-in-adobo-sauce.html

Ok I broke down and got some Schlenkerla.

4 bottles; 2 Marzen and 2 Fasten Biers.

Spent $21.45 for four bottles.... It's for a good cause.

This is to go with my Beef Milanesa soaking in Chipotles in Adobo. Firing up the grill shortly.

Damn you, damn you, damn you.

That is all. Carry on.

Yes. :mad:

I'm contemplating pulling a couple racks of baby backs out of the freezer for tomorrow, even though that is not part of tomorrow's plan.

Yes, You can do it!!!! .........and yes you should! :rockin:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2HcRl4wSk[/ame]

I came to read the story about your twitter handle and now I'm going to go look for this beer. You should tell them that you having this twitter handle is bringing them more business than if they owned it lol

I'm going to be smoking a bunch of different meats next weekend. Hopefully I can find these beers near me.

Oh, and any updates yet?

I came to read the story about your twitter handle and now I'm going to go look for this beer. You should tell them that you having this twitter handle is bringing them more business than if they owned it lol

I'm going to be smoking a bunch of different meats next weekend. Hopefully I can find these beers near me.

Oh, and any updates yet?

Nothing yet. Work has been busy lately. If I'm to call Germany I need to do it early in the morning. Been slammed at work. 4-8 VM messages in the morning and at least 20 email messages overnight.

I should just email the owner...

I printed out the BYO recipe (thanks Schlenkerla) and also printed out yours - passedpawn. Had printed out info from previous research several months ago and plan to look at that as well prior to come up with a plan.

Had planned on using Jamil's Octoberfest / Maerzen recipe as a base, but use Weyermann smoked malt - or a portion of it. Things I read say that smoke dissipates so if you get several month old malt from a LHBS it will be much less strong than fresh malt. Seems this adds an uncontrollable variable... Also found BestMalz offers Rauchmalt - but don't see where I can get it. Some say to mix Weyermann smoked malt 50-50, others that you can go up to 100%...but it may also depend upon age of the malt. All have recommended having a small portion of the American smoked cherrywood but it looks like passedpawn is using a significant portion.

Passedpawn - I see a 12 gallon batch size for your recipe. Is this Volume Into Fermenter, Volume Into Packaging, etc.? Makes a difference with trying to duplicate it. Also, what malter's brand is SB? You posted this recipe 7.5 years ago... Have you learned anything in recent years to change the recipe, and do you still brew it? It looks interesting too; thanks for posting it.

Schlenkerla - do you use this Rauchenpistole you linked to in one of your posts to smoke your malt? Only an occasional Rauchbier brewer... Has it turned out well when brewed?

Looks like many ideas exist to make Rauchbier. Not surprising with homebrewing. My intent had been to brew something like Schlenkerla smoked maerzen that is so popular, but am not closed to other ideas provided they don't go too far off the reservation. :)

I printed out the BYO recipe (thanks Schlenkerla) and also printed out yours - passedpawn. Had printed out info from previous research several months ago and plan to look at that as well prior to come up with a plan.

Had planned on using Jamil's Octoberfest / Maerzen recipe as a base, but use Weyermann smoked malt - or a portion of it. Things I read say that smoke dissipates so if you get several month old malt from a LHBS it will be much less strong than fresh malt. Seems this adds an uncontrollable variable... Also found BestMalz offers Rauchmalt - but don't see where I can get it. Some say to mix Weyermann smoked malt 50-50, others that you can go up to 100%...but it may also depend upon age of the malt. All have recommended having a small portion of the American smoked cherrywood but it looks like passedpawn is using a significant portion.

Passedpawn - I see a 12 gallon batch size for your recipe. Is this Volume Into Fermenter, Volume Into Packaging, etc.? Makes a difference with trying to duplicate it. Also, what malter's brand is SB? You posted this recipe 7.5 years ago... Have you learned anything in recent years to change the recipe, and do you still brew it? It looks interesting too; thanks for posting it.

Schlenkerla - do you use this Rauchenpistole you linked to in one of your posts to smoke your malt? Only an occasional Rauchbier brewer... Has it turned out well when brewed?

Looks like many ideas exist to make Rauchbier. Not surprising with homebrewing. My intent had been to brew something like Schlenkerla smoked maerzen that is so popular, but am not closed to other ideas provided they don't go too far off the reservation. :)

12g into fermentor. Regarding "SB", just ignore that. It's short for Southern Brewing, one of my homebrew shops. I created new ingredients in Beersmith based on their exact specs (SRM, etc). I'm not sure if you can even get MaltEurop malt anymore - just use any generic.

I made a smoked porter once, and when I was at the LHBS I was originally going to get Weyermann smoked malt. The LHBS guy told me that he preferred the Briess cherrywood smoked malt. I smelled both of them, and definitely preferred the smell of the Briess. It was MUCH stronger smelling, but better.

Unfortunately, my recipe (which called for almost 45% smoked malt because it was based on the milder Weyermann, but I used the same proportion with the Briess. The beer came out so smoky that it was overpowering. After about 6 months in the keg, it had faded enough to be pretty good, but it was hard to put away prior to that.

So I would say that you need to watch out how much you're adding, and adjust your recipe based on what you smell coming off the malt.

I've used both, purchased malt and the smoking gun. Only once each. The purchased malt seemed better. I believe it was Munich smoked with cherry.

I think I need to age the grain after smoking it myself. I used it the next day. I believe it needs to mellow. Leave it a paper bag for a week.

I also think the choice of smoke may play a factor. I have hickory, oak, mesquite, apple and cherry.

The smoking gun is pretty cool on cheese and dried sausages.

#sslater

BYO Smoking Tips Using a smoker.

I will use the gun in the signature below. I'll dampen the grain on a cookie sheet about a pound at a time. I'll use distilled water and a spray bottle.

The I'll pour it in a ziplock, then hit it with 30 seconds of smoke. Let it sit for several hours, then dump it in a paper bag to mellow.

20140105_121239-61742.jpg

Sources for a smoking gun....

This thread made me buy a couple of their beers yesterday, I think I got the double/doppel bock and the lent beer. Was wandering the German imports section and noticed these. No idea how old they are, but looking forward to trying them tonight or tomorrow.

This thread made me buy a couple of their beers yesterday, I think I got the double/doppel bock and the lent beer. Was wandering the German imports section and noticed these. No idea how old they are, but looking forward to trying them tonight or tomorrow.

You'll either love them or hate them. Its a little like coffee it takes time to warm up to them. They are super smokey. Some people think they are like liking an ash tray whereas others just love the smoke and malt flavor. I even like the smokey beltches... :D

The lent is the one to start with in my opinion. While you're cooking and snacking.... I'd drink this with french onion dip a chips.

If you are grilling or smoking they are a good match. BBQ/Grilled Pork is very good, Grilled Brats, Kielbasa, anything smoked. and Mexican food pairs up pretty good too if its got grilled meats. Thinking anything with a puree of Chipotle in adobo smeared on it and then grilled; Skirt steak, pork chops, and boneless chicken thighs. I could even smear it on salmon and grill it on cedar planks or spread it swordfish steaks or halibut steaks. Cooked either way grilled or on a plank.

chipotlesinadobo.jpg

Without a doubt pour into a glass with tall pour to let the CO2 get out...

Let me know how the doppelbock tastes.

It's settled. We made the exchange!!!!

I settled for beer and glasses. Got a case of each and a box of nice Schlenkerla glasses.

Marzen
Urbock
Doppelbock/Oak Smoke
Helles
Weizen

It's NOT much, but it didn't want much. It's gonna last awhile so I'm good.

At the Map Room in Chicago. Drinking a Schlenkerla on tap.

:D

Latest posts

Back