Brewers Hardware????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got a shipment notice generated from their system, I emailed an inquiry the other day and haven't heard back.

Just ordered a few things last week, a couple of silicone rings were missing, emailed him Sat., got a return email today.

Ordered some stuff yesterday (Sun.), got a shipping confirmation today.

Never had a problem.

I ordered a bunch of stuff on the 17th and didn't hear anything aside from the confirmation email and immediate charge to my credit card. I followed up via the web form and got a response on the 22nd saying the RIMS tubes are still on back order but should be caught up Monday. Followed up again today, waiting for a response.

I don't mind waiting for things as long as there's proactive communication about it, and a big part of that is keeping items on the web site updated with current stock status. Derrin, I understand you're swamped due to growing pains, but clear, honest, timely communication is absolutely critical if you want to continue your success. It would also be nice if you didn't hold up the entire order because of one or two back ordered items.

Just ordered on Monday and my stuff was shipped promptly ...

I got a 2" tri clover camp, 2" tri clover gasket, 2" tri clover to 1/2" NPT, 2 x 1/2" SS ball valve and 10' silicone tubing. I don't have the package in hand as it's at work. So we'll see if it's the correct stuff.

Everything was in the box btw. :) Good quality!

I returned some items to Derrin for a refund and exchange on February 5. I have not heard anything back from him yet as of today. I emailed him and asked him about the refund & exchange and he OK'd it. Don't know what's going on at this point. It's $70 worth of stuff so I'd like to know. I emailed him yesterday and haven't heard back yet. We'll see.

He got back to me, apologized for the wait and lack of communication, and promptly shipped everything that's not on back order. It shipped out two days ago and arrived today. Overall it was rather frustrating, but at least he came here and explained the situation. Growing too fast can be rough if you're not prepared for it. Looking at the quality of the RIMS tube and kettle bulkhead builds, I'll likely be ordering more stuff from him down the road.

I contacted Derrin prior to placing my order. I wanted to be sure that my stuff was in stock and ready to ship prior to placing the order. Derrin got back to me within a day, I placed the order, and got everything 2 days later. It sounds to me that he got a little too busy and couldn't keep up with the orders. I am COMPLETELY satisfied with the transaction and will definitely do business with him in the future.

P.S. - For the record, I placed the order on 2/29 and had it on 3/2. California to Michigan.

I just got an order from this company. I ordered their pricey weld less fittings for temp probes and got them pretty fast. However, when I tried to put the probe through the fitting it wouldn't fit. Now I'm almost finished my electric brewery and have these things that don't come close to doing what they're suppose to. Hopefully he responds soon

I finally cancelled my order after they strung me along for almost a month with "it'll be in stock next week".

He did give me a prompt refund.

The two main problem are:

lists items that are not in stock

immediately charges your credit card

I recommend going elsewhere....

Michael

I recommend going elsewhere....

Can't agree more. I ended up getting his cell phone number off of the GoDaddy.com website registration information. I called and left him two voice mails asking for the exchange of an item and a refund on other items I sent back. I've since got the exchange item, but no refund. I am now working with my credit card company to get the money back for the other items. Ridiculous. I'll never buy from this company again.

UPDATE: So I called Derrin today and left him a message. He called me back within a few minutes. Really nice guy. He ended up telling me to keep the defective ball valve AND he refunded my entire purchase price PLUS shipping. It sucks when you get all fired up about something and then when you talk about it and the situation is resolved the world is right again. I won't say that I'll never purchase from Brewers Hardware again, but I can say if I do I'll go into knowing it might be a bit of a headache.

Wish I would have stumbled on this thread earlier. Placed a several hundred dollar order on Saturday. Was charged immediately however none of my emails have been responded to. Not sure when my order is shipping or if it will ship. Hoping he responds soon.....

I ordered $450 worth of product on March 13th and received it all on March 15th. He answered emails with questions that I had reasonably quickly and sent exactly what was ordered.

I still haven't had a response back to any of my emails pre or post sale however my order did switch to completed and shows a tracking number today so it looks like it is shipping or shipped. Assuming this is a true that's pretty good turn around. The lack of communication was disappointing though. Sounds like this product is worth it though so I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

parts arrived in good order 5 days after placing order which is pretty quick. no responses to any communications though. I'm happy with the quality and can't wait to get it all set up.

What did you order?

I ordered an entire RIMS tube with the nicer connector for the element. 20 ft of silicone tubing, some connectors for the RIMS tube, extra clamps and gaskets. 300+ bucks of equipment.

He did not return any of my emails(i had some misc questions) whatsoever however the product was received 5 days after ordering.

wow, i didnt expect this many responses. I see many frustrations and see some good success stories. Bottom line though, some business practices need to be put into place and implemented, ie., policies and procedures.

I like the quality of his stuff, but the headache to get certain items doesnt have to exist with some changes to his business. That's all folks!

I dont mean to dig up an old thread but......

I just ordered some shields from these guys. FANTASTIC interaction, awesome product, and super fast shipping. I ordered them Sunday night and got them today!

Every time I have ordered bits they have been totally spot on. Thanks fellas. These things are awesome and I am geeking out right now.

Yep. Dragging this thread up again. Ordered on several occasions from Brewers Hardware. Large dollar orders. 95% of all items filled on each order. Doesn't bother to follow up with an idea when it will be 100%. Why is that a problem? The 5% of the parts that don't show puts the entire project on hold. Then I have to answer to my customers why I can't finish. Screw this company! Do you all see the consistency? Its great when he fills an order, screw you when he can't fill it but will take the money until then all day long! That not how you take care of customers!!! A good business shines when things get difficult. Sh#$ happens but own it. This guy flat sucks!!! Never again...

I'm having the same problem that the OP had with Brewer's Hardware. No shipping info. No response to email/messages. And of course no Thermowell.

I guess I will trying calling them next.

I'm having the same problem that the OP had with Brewer's Hardware. No shipping info. No response to email/messages. And of course no Thermowell.

I guess I will trying calling them next.

Fwiw, they have always answered my phone calls and my questions. In fact, because of the phone I have made several successful purchases. When I initially ordered my bcs I bought some other items. I didn't mind waiting on the bcs but I wanted the other items as soon as possible. They told me to note in the order notes to ship the in stock items asap and send the bcs separately. It worked out great. But only because I called...

I've had pretty good experiences with this company. Granted, it's not a huge operation, but when I ordered a back order item, I was notified by a company rep and verified if I indeed wanted said item, which would have take a while to get, or change to a more available alternative.

This company allows homebrewers and probably some nano brewers access to some pro gear. If I was a pro with an operation over 3 bbls, there's probably more economic vendors available.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just read through this string. I glad I haven't read it earlier not sure I would have placed an order. However, I have ordered several items from them and have always received my order in a timely fashion. Great items at competitive prices. Sorry to hear other have not had the experience I have.

They finally did get back to me saying that they missed my email because they were attending a Craft Brewing Event. They also said that the item I ordered went on back-order, but did not communicate that to me.

Ii've ordered thermowells twice recently and had them come well before I expected them. Seems like things are running smoothly.

Well well... I also have not get so good customer support from brewershardware.com

I ordered rims tube and some other stuff and also 3" DS18S20 thermoprobe for that rims tube. Waited couple of days and my order was in "processed" state. Sent email to ask is there some delays and got answer that that thermoprobe is sold out and
probably discontinued (probably discontinued wut ?? :D)

I switched that item to same DS compatible thermowell without DS18S20 sensor and also asked that because that item is much cheaper, put in more 1/2" silicone tubing. Waited again couple of days, nothing, sent email and got answer that that part is also sold out.. *facepalm*, very nice. This time he suggested "normal" thermowell they have on warehouse. I said ok, sent it. Waited again couple of days, sent email, did not get any answer until couple of days later I got completely empty email from brewershardware.
Checked from ther site that woohoo package is sent :).

So I got my package and noticed that I did not get single inch more 1/2" silicone tubing as I asked because I switched that $36 part to $22 part. I also have to pay 24% Finnish tax fees for that $14 difference ($3.36) and now I have sent couple of mails and asked NICELY that can they/him pay at least that $14 back to me. No answer, nada. Maybe he thinks that because I live in Finland that is comfortably long way from CA , customer support is not mandatory.

So, yes, I believe strongly that he is not trying to screw his customers but customer support is quite "interesting" and he is probably way over stressed.
Buyers beware.

EDIT: BUT ! I have to admit that rims tube and element cover are awesome, I can't complain. Products seems to be ok, IF you get them :)

EDIT 2 : I actually got email from Curtis about same time than I wrote this post and he proposed me couple different options for compensation, so at that regard all seems to be ok. I want to still make clear that I never have felt that he is incompetent or bad seller or that products aren't good, they probably are understaffed as Bensiff also says.

Well well... I also have not get so good customer support from brewershardware.com

I ordered rims tube and some other stuff and also 3" DS18S20 thermoprobe for that rims tube. Waited couple of days and my order was in "processed" state. Sent email to ask is there some delays and got answer that that thermoprobe is sold out and
probably discontinued (probably discontinued wut ?? :D)

I switched that item to same DS compatible thermowell without DS18S20 sensor and also asked that because that item is much cheaper, put in more 1/2" silicone tubing. Waited again couple of days, nothing, sent email and got answer that that part is also sold out.. *facepalm*, very nice. This time he suggested "normal" thermowell they have on warehouse. I said ok, sent it. Waited again couple of days, sent email, did not get any answer until couple of days later I got completely empty email from brewershardware.
Checked from ther site that woohoo package is sent :).

So I got my package and noticed that I did not get single inch more 1/2" silicone tubing as I asked because I switched that $36 part to $22 part. I also have to pay 24% Finnish tax fees for that $14 difference ($3.36) and now I have sent couple of mails and asked NICELY that can they/him pay at least that $14 back to me. No answer, nada. Maybe he thinks that because I live in Finland that is comfortably long way from CA , customer support is not mandatory.

So, yes, I believe strongly that he is not trying to screw his customers but customer support is quite "interesting" and he is probably way over stressed.
Buyers beware.

EDIT: BUT ! I have to admit that rims tube and element cover are awesome, I can't complain. Products seems to be ok, IF you get them :)

I'd say be patient and work with them. The nature of international trade is difficult. I applaud them for trying to deal with all the import export law that most businesses won't bother with.

I have bought a lot of products from BH and know that sometimes they are slow to respond while other times they are Johnny on the spot. As far as I can tell they need more staff. But I understand that when running a small business the regulatory impact can make adding employees a difficult proposition and they may be sold running on a skeleton crew to keep profitable. Or perhaps they are simply slammed with far more emails than orders so they can't afford the staff to answer emails. Like I said. Be patient, they have always done me right in the end, even if I had to be patient at times.

I was starting to wonder about BH and my order, so I looked for a review and this thread popped up.

So far here is my experience and I will edit this when BH comes through as I feel they will.

I placed an order totaling around $260 Canadian, paid with PayPal, waited a week and heard nothing. Sent an Email which they responded to and said the holdup was an $8 dollar screen/filter that I could easily forgo.

He wrote that no ETA was in the near future and offered to ship the filter at a later date, at his expense, shipping everything else right now that is costing me $40 to ship.

I said great ship away and notify before you ship the backordered filter as I may purchase additional items at that time.

Another week goes by, I sent another email "?" with no reply yet, that was 3 days ago.

BH could use a few modification that the webmaster could easily correct to overcome the lack of time/staffing at no additional cost, to communicate with costumers. 1) add an in stock/out of stock notification by the item for sale. 2) state if the product is a costume order and expected lead time (be generous to allow yourself time for "unpredictable" events).

All experiences good or bad should be reviewed in my opinion. The problem is, a good reputation takes a lifetime to build but only takes a few overlooked decisions/ideas to ruin.

In conclusion, here is the reputation Brewers Hardware is aware that they are earning; as a customer you can expect your experience to go smoothly OR end up waiting for pieces, parts, or entire shipments to be delivered at anytime with no notification by their part until you take initiative, costumers should expect delays and not be in any hurry. Costumer service/notification is limited due to their "growth pains" and their website, BUT BH does come through with your order in due time.:confused:

EDIT: As promised I would update with any changes. By "coincidence" only minutes after I posted this review; Curtis just sent me an email stating my order has been shipped and provided a tracking number. He said they would ship everything now and cover the cost of shipping on the backordered filter when it comes available.

I've ordered a ridiculous amount of items from brewers hardware over the years. I think there was only one time that I had a problem and that was during the government shut down. He was unable to get the parts through customs. :eek:nestar: :eek:nestar: :eek:nestar: :eek:nestar: :eek:nestar:

Ordered Wednesday, just got an email today (Monday) that a shipping label was created. I would have preferred quicker turnaround than that, but they did say they had a container come in or something that they had to take care of.

I don't expect things to ship next day unless I pay for it, but based on this thread, I'd stick with brewhardware.com.

My experience with Brewers Hardware is positive. I bought a 20 gallon fermenter and a bunch of other stuff. I must say that I was able to pick it up in person though. I did however call them a few
Times prior to my purchase and they always answered. Maybe when having problems, go old school and use the telephone, works for me.

I've ordered from BH several times and have received great customer service. All the products I've ordered, I've received and when I had a tight timeline between international flights BH went out of their way to get my back ordered parts to me on time. I've also received the blank email with no shipping info, and that should be corrected, however one email to Curtis and I had my shipping info and tracking number. Everything I've received from BH has been of exceptional quality. I would recommend them to friends and I will order from them again.

WaywardVagrant

My experience with Brewers Hardware is positive. I bought a 20 gallon fermenter and a bunch of other stuff. I must say that I was able to pick it up in person though. I did however call them a few
Times prior to my purchase and they always answered. Maybe when having problems, go old school and use the telephone, works for me.

Seems to echo my experience. They answer my bcs questions via phone and they are great about answering the phone.

I ordered a heating element and 'hot pod' on July 23rd. It shipped the next day. I had it by July 27th. In my kettle now. Works great. I'll order from them again.

Back