Brew sitting on Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayou Fatma Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How long do you let ur Beer sit on the yeast in Fermenter b4 transferring? I was planning on transferring to Keg after 16 days but Keg I ordered from MoreBeer came in damaged and might be another week or so before getting this matter straight.

Attachments

• IMG_3587.jpeg
    IMG_3587.jpeg
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3588.jpeg
    IMG_3588.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
You don't run a higher risk of infection by leaving it in the fermenter longer. If your beer is already infected, leaving it in the fermenter longer gives it more time to spoil the beer and produce off flavors. If your sanitation is good, you should have no issue. As for any concerns on autolysis, you have zero chance of having a problem. I have yet to speak to a home brewer who has experience this issue.

I'm in the process of fermenting in and serving, (a Kolsch), from the same keg for the first time. Fermentation was mostly done in about 3-4 days but I left it alone for 17 days. I just moved the keg into my keezer yesterday, and tasted the FG hydro sample. Was good. No idea how long it'll take to kill the keg, but I'm not worried about it. We'll see if any off flavors develop.

As long as you don't open the FV and the temps are fine and in a dark place...meaning not in the hot garage

probably fine to leave it alone for several weeks.

I serve from the fermenting keg so it's on the yeast for a very long time. But it's also nice and cold too.

If your sanitation is good, you should have no issue. As for any concerns on autolysis, you have zero chance of having a problem. I have yet to speak to a home brewer who has experience this issue.

I've tasted and smelled noticeable autolysis in homebrew. And I suspect that many BJCP judges would also say that they have, because they taste a lot of other people's beers.

I'm sure I've said this before, but I think it bears repeating. Every beer experiences autolysis. It's just a question of how much and of the taste thresholds of the products for each drinker. Fortunately, in most beers, with most drinkers, it doesn't cause a problem.

I should also mention that autolysis causes an increase in pH. I think it's possible for that to cause a beer to taste "flabby" without causing "classic" autolysis flavors like broth-y/meaty/burnt rubber, etc.

You don't run a higher risk of infection by leaving it in the fermenter longer. If your beer is already infected, leaving it in the fermenter longer gives it more time to spoil the beer and produce off flavors. If your sanitation is good, you should have no issue. As for any concerns on autolysis, you have zero chance of having a problem. I have yet to speak to a home brewer who has experience this issue.
Thanx…I feel a bit better about having to let it sit for awhile. It’s being kept cool at 55* in a stainless fermenter with pressure in airlock.
thanks…I feel a bit better now about having to let it sit for awhile. It’s being kept cool at 55* in a stainless fermenter and still has pressure in the airlock. i don’t expect any sanitation problems. It’s Dortmunder Export 5.5 Gallons.
Hopefully MoreBeer will rectify the problem soon. The Pipeline is waiting on them.

From what I've read, that mostly applies to commercial breweries where the volume of beer sitting on the yeast cake can cause issues. On the homebrew scale you'll be fine.

EDIT: I was responding to concerns about autolysis.
I agree with this. I just watched a MoreBeer video titled something like, "We asked 6 pro brewers for tips" or something to that effect. One of the guys mentions this and after they discuss the difference between a 20 foot column of beer in a commercial setting vs a home brew, says unless it's sitting on the yeast 6 months or so, it's not a concern.

I agree with this. I just watched a MoreBeer video titled something like, "We asked 6 pro brewers for tips" or something to that effect. One of the guys mentions this and after they discuss the difference between a 20 foot column of beer in a commercial setting vs a home brew, says unless it's sitting on the yeast 6 months or so, it's not a concern.

The thing about tall fermenters though, is that they don't add as much hydrostatic pressure as people seem to think. At the bottom, a 20 foot tall fermenter would add about 6 PSI more pressure than a 2 foot tall fermenter. And that's quite a bit less than the head pressures a lot of home brewers are using in their "pressurized fermentations."

I've tasted and smelled noticeable autolysis in homebrew. And I suspect that many BJCP judges would also say that they have, because they taste a lot of other people's beers.

I'm sure I've said this before, but I think it bears repeating. Every beer experiences autolysis. It's just a question of how much and of the taste thresholds of the products for each drinker. Fortunately, in most beers, with most drinkers, it doesn't cause a problem.

I should also mention that autolysis causes an increase in pH. I think it's possible for that to cause a beer to taste "flabby" without causing "classic" autolysis flavors like broth-y/meaty/burnt rubber, etc.
Thanks for the info. In my small circle of homebrewing I haven't come across this issue. There are so many factors which contribute to the flavor of beer, good or bad, that I've never come to the conclusion that the beer sat on the yeast too long.
At the national level, beer judges are getting a much greater exposure to homebrew and I'm sure they come across it every now and then. Keep in mind, while I brew 5 gallon batches, a lot of homebrewers are making batches 1 bbl and greater. That and pressure fermenting as you started will likely raise the chances of getting off flavor from autolysis.

Last edited:
That and pressure fermenting as you started will likely raise the chances of getting off flavor from sitting on the yeast to long.

I didn't mean to imply that pressure is the major cause of off flavors from autolysis. I believe there are several factors, such as:

- yeast health (cell wall integrity, in particular)
- yeast cell count (the more cells spilling their guts...)
- time
- temperature
- possibly yeast strain
- beer style (flavor masking)
- pressure
- serving temperature
- drinker's taste thresholds

Although I have read some white papers on some aspects of this, I've never seen anything that discusses how various factors interact.

Thankfully, it's rarely a major problem for home brewers or for commercial brewers.

I ferment and serve from the same keg. I've got Lagers on tap for over 4 months right now. They still taste great. I don't know what all the panic is all the time for something that's sitting on a yeast cake. Especially at the homebrew level. The only thing I guess would be warmer temps may accelerate aging, so that could be an issue regarding the flavor profile you're after.

I am by no means good at this, but my beers generally sit in the fermenter for anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks. One sat for a bit longer as I had to deal with life and could not get it kegged or bottled. Don't remember it being bad and I am sure I drank it. LOL. Rock On!!!!!!!!

They never mentioned returning it (yet) but it has a really bad ding like a bullet hit it. . Not sure if it’s structurally sound and trustworthy for use. I guess I could use it for a few spare parts if needed.
Stainless is pretty ductile, I wouldn't be too concerned about it being structurally compromised. It sucks that it has a big monstrous dent in it, but you could get in there with a hammer and knock it back out and it would be fine. You paid for new so you want new. They'll probably send a call tag to get it back but who knows how their clean process works with UPS or fedex. My guess is that was FedEx since that's who they use for my shipments. I have to say I've had better luck with them than UPS. If they tell you you can keep it, you got a great deal on a somewhat used keg.

If they don't ask for it back, use it. I don't see how a dent is going to make it unusable. But that is just my opinion. What do I know. LOL

Agree. Worst case, you could use it to store your Starsan. Give how some of the used Coke/Pepsi kegs look, Id still use it for serving.

You could put one of those bootprint stickers that say "Chuck Norris was here" on it for a laugh.

They never mentioned returning it (yet) but it has a really bad ding like a bullet hit it. . Not sure if it’s structurally sound and trustworthy for use. I guess I could use it for a few spare parts if needed.
If they don't want it back I'd use it for beer, and leave the dent as is. Although you could hammer it out from the inside, it's probably gonna look much worse once that's done. The way it's now it'll be a working keg, doubling up as decent looking "conversation piece."

BTW, in a previous life, 20-some years ago, when it came to the worst shipping damages, it was with FedEx.
UPS was always fine, as were commercial truck deliveries.

One of those delivery gems was a 21" CRT monitor, a big deal in those days. FedEx dropped it "off," most literally, on my sidewalk. Of course I didn't accept it.

I'd be curious to know how it could happen unintentionally. That's an incredible hit with a pointed object.

I would prefer to push it out manually rather than have it potentially pop out under pressure. But thats just me. Even at 10 PSI that looks like a couple hundred pounds of pressure.

Back