Brew house efficiency for an imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nmnbrewer

Reaction score
Designing a Russian imperial stout recipe and I'm just wondering what you biab full volume no spargers have been setting your brew house efficiency at on beersmith. Normally I'm set at 72 for a typical medium gravity beer.

I am normally in the high 70s for efficiency using full volume biab, I did a tenfidy clone a few months ago and I was in the low 60s for efficiency. Most my grainbills are between 14-16lbs, the stout was around 24-25, cant remember exactly w/o my notes.

Around 55% Mash efficiency for an 1.115 OG with targeted preboil volume. If I drain my mash completely I'm up to 60% Mash efficiency as I'm getting much higher preboil volumes than a "normal" grist. with the same numbers for grain absorption.

I'm usually at 72%-ish too for normal beers, so I guess you can ballpark it with my numbers.

I see a 12-15% reduction in efficiency once I climb over 1.100. It'll increase gradually as og climbs. So I usually go from 80% to 65-67% for imperial beers.

Here's a chart that shows what lauter efficiency does as the gran bill to pre-boil volume ratio increases for both single batch sparge and no-sparge for several different levels of grain absorption. Small beers on the left, big beers on the right. If you conversion efficiency stays constant, then mash efficiency will vary proportionately to lauter efficiency (mash eff = conv eff * lauter eff.)

No Sparge vs Sparge big beers ratio.png

Brew on :mug:

No I fly sparge with a 3 kettle germs system.

Better sanitation can help with those germs. :D

The general effects of going to larger grain bills are the same regardless of sparge process, or no-sparge. The curves of efficiency vs grain bill size will shift up or down, and change slope a bit depending on process.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back