Beer Gas or CO2 for Imperial Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm totally in love with the only heavy beer recipe I've ever written, and now I'm considering trying an imperial stout. I have a stout recipe I love. I'm thinking I could use more of everything, increase the crystal malt slightly for sweetness, and bump the hops up slightly. Likely to work, assuming I have a good stout to begin with?

Also, and more importantly, what's the prevailing wisdom RE gas for imperial stout? I dispense my normal stout with beer gas, but I love Old Rasputin, which is a CO2 beer.

Not sure what your issue is. OP asked about adjusting a smaller beer into a bigger beer. OP also stated they like Old Rasputin. I posted a link to a brewer's method using a Rasputin clone as the example. Did I misstep?

BTW, you've got to know OP doesn't brew to BJCP numbers.

Hmmm. The style category to which you link starts at 1075. Rasputin (9%) listed as a commercial example.

Malt bill? Nope, complex bills with any malt welcome.

Hops? IBUs? Nope, all good there.

What's your point?

Back to the original topic, my preference for 8%+ dark beers is for CO2. The bite of full carbonation usually balances out the residual sweetness. And even at 2.5 volumes, these beers don't even appear adequately carbonated.

That also leaves me the ability to bottle off the keg for long term storage whenever the mood/glut of big beers on tap require it.

If I may weigh in, I thought the article was useful not for numbers or a recipe but for illustrating principles a person might use in order to take a recipe from one gravity to another without changing the character too much. I didn't think it was offered as something I should try to replicate.

Some people say that when you go up in gravity, you leave the dark malts alone in order to prevent them from becoming overpowering. Others say to increase everything proportionally. Looks like the person who wrote this article favors changing the proportions.

As for whether the beer in the article is a session beer, 4.4% seems pretty low to me. Beneath Budweiser.

It seems to have a lot of body, though. The article gives an FG of 1.020, down from 1.045.

With my own stout, I've always gone from around 1.054 to a kegging gravity of about 1.016, assuming my numbers are anywhere near correct over the 6 batches I've made since 2004. I don't have figures for earlier batches.

I didn't know it was possible to start as low as 1.045 and end up as high as 1.020.

It's true I don't pay any attention to BJCP guidelines. I get a desire for a beer that has certain characteristics, and I try to reproduce what I'm imagining. My equipment is like my cooking equipment. I didn't buy an oven so I could cook other people's recipes.

I've never had a stout exactly like mine. I don't use a faithful copy of someone else's recipe. I started with an existing recipe and changed it until it was very different. I wanted something sort of like Murphy's but not quite as dry, and I wanted some body. Got exactly what I wanted, so it's a success.

As for what is a stout, I don't believe a recently-constituted organization that caters to a tiny hobby community has the authority to decide that for the whole world.

I feel like changing all my ingredients upward without changing proportions and seeing what happens. I can adjust it next time.

Back to the original topic, my preference for 8%+ dark beers is for CO2. The bite of full carbonation usually balances out the residual sweetness. And even at 2.5 volumes, these beers don't even appear adequately carbonated.

That also leaves me the ability to bottle off the keg for long term storage whenever the mood/glut of big beers on tap require it.

Well, I've never tried beer gas but I agree with your comment about the CO2 and RIS-type beer.

I had RIS I kegged after 12 months of conditioning and carbed to same level. It seemed to take forever to get any carb and never did it seem like it was that level.

As for what is a stout, I don't believe a recently-constituted organization that caters to a tiny hobby community has the authority to decide that for the whole world.
I'm not really big on brewing to BJCP guidelines either, I've never been entirely clear on the difference between a stout and a porter, and I think it's kinda silly to quibble about whether my imperial isn't an imperial because it finished three points too high to hit 8% ABV. But you referred to your "normal stout" in the first post, so it seems that you assume that people know what a normal stout is. How do we know what a normal stout is? It's not because the BJCP told us, but ISTM that it does mean that we generally agree on broad definitions of the names of beer styles.

I honestly thought people would realize it meant a stout that wasn't high-gravity, and it looks like most did.

That certainly wasn't even somewhat clear until later in the thread.

You started with a "more" theme on stout and mentioned Old Rasputin which is RIS ~ 9% ABV.

For the record, I was not commenting on Old Rasputin at all, but was play-ranting about the notion of "session stout".
A stout is historically and simply a big porter, so a small porter would be the style - with a couple hundred years of precedence.
No need to get all creative :)

Cheers!

Would love to have a nice, fresh pint of Guinness small porter.

And, yes, I'm up to speed on my history of dark, roasty British ales including stout porter. Plenty of post-WW1 stout under 1040.

Being a stickler for what British beer categories denote. Puhleaze. ;)

Cheers!

I unfollowed this thread a while back, for the same reason I quit giving men who drive shirtless the finger while driving, but F everyone's I, I posted the same question elsewhere and only said "stout." Started getting informed replies right away. No one was confused at all. Kind of like they weren't actually confused here.

The BJCP has been around since (I think) 1985. I suppose that's recent, if you mean recent in the history of brewing. But they don't claim any "authority to decide that for the whole world." They are the authority for BJCP sanctioned competitions.

That said, BJCP guidelines are very useful for many people outside of competitions, and even outside of homebrewing. (I've had a lot of conversations about beer styles with pro brewers, and they almost invariably refer to BJCP, which says a lot, when you consider that the Brewers Association (i.e. pro brewers) also have their own set of guidelines.)

Also, regarding the "authority to decide," I'll add that the compilers of the BJCP guidelines don't do anything in a vacuum. They analyze a lot of commercial beers, review sources of primary research (e.g. books about beer traditions), and arrive at what I think are similar conclusions to what anyone who did the same diligence would.

Also, regarding the "authority to decide," I'll add that the compilers of the BJCP guidelines don't do anything in a vacuum. They analyze a lot of commercial beers, review sources of primary research (e.g. books about beer traditions), and arrive at what I think are similar conclusions to what anyone who did the same diligence would.
…and when reading their style guidelines, you’ll almost always notice commercial examples listed at the end.

Back