Brew Boss Systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone tried doing a 2.5-3 gallon batch in a 15 gallon Brew Boss?

It would be difficult...2 gallons of water barely covers the heating element...so not sure how you would get the grain soaked in the water..
Might give it a try as an expirement ...maybe with the cofi filter the recirculation would be enough

Im 99% sure you cant do smaller than a 5gal batch in the 15gal kettle. The temp probe, which feeds the heaters, wouldnt be immersed in the wort.

they list the reqs in the FAQ section

Does anyone know if a 5 gallon batch is possible in the 20gallon kettle? If not with the cofi filter how about with the bag version?

From the FAQ section of the Brew-Boss web page.

Q. Can the 20 gallon COFI system do 5 gallon batches?
A. Yes it can! It depends on the recipe. Doing 5 gallon batches in the 20 gallon COFI is possible but the Original Gravity (OG) of the brew will be somewhat limited (about 1.075 max). This is because with high OG brews (high grain weight) there may not be enough water to completely cover the grain bed. See FAQ "How Much Grain Will the System Handle" below for more details. Based on the 20 gallon chart and assuming we want 6 gallons into the fermenter to net us 5 gallons after fermentation, we have a maximum grain weight of about 17 pounds. This equates to about a 1.075 OG at 75% brewhouse efficiency.

First time, long time. Read this entire thread. The Brew Boss Black Friday deal could be pushing me over the edge.

I've enjoyed reading people's reviews especially if you've used it for over one or two brews. I guess my question only is, if you had to order it again is there anything you wish you had added on that you didn't get?

Also anybody else who has some experiences using the system please keep sharing. Thanks guys!

From the FAQ section of the Brew-Boss web page.

I had received this from Darin. So I was under the impression that 5 gallon batches in the 20G cofi system was not a possibility.

Tim,

The volume of the kettles is total volume, to the top. Subtract 2 gallons for "usable" volume.

Yes, you could do a 5 gallon extract batch in the 20 gallon kettle. If you bought the false bottom, sparge arm, and biab bag you could also do all grain as well. You just can't do 5 gallon with the COFI system.

Darin

For my uses, it's looking like I'll buy the BiaB version rather than the COFI version. The COFI limits the max amount of malt too much for me. I really wish the kettles were a little bigger.

For my uses, it's looking like I'll buy the BiaB version rather than the COFI version. The COFI limits the max amount of malt too much for me. I really wish the kettles were a little bigger.

I am really torn. I love the idea of an all in one system that I can purchase. I love what I have seen of Brew-Boss in the videos I have watched. I live the triclamp kettle but losing 2 gallons of space because the attachment is on the side of the kettle. I like that High Gravity has their attachement in the lid so you are not losing any kettle space. At the end of the day I like that an app runs the whole system. Not sure that I would need that but I like it. I have also looked at Colorado Brew Systems Kettle but adding a Jagger Bush controller.

I am really torn. I love the idea of an all in one system that I can purchase. I love what I have seen of Brew-Boss in the videos I have watched. I live the triclamp kettle but losing 2 gallons of space because the attachment is on the side of the kettle. I like that High Gravity has their attachement in the lid so you are not losing any kettle space. At the end of the day I like that an app runs the whole system. Not sure that I would need that but I like it. I have also looked at Colorado Brew Systems Kettle but adding a Jagger Bush controller.

Having the attachment in the lid isn't as convenient as you'd think. The original brew boss (picobrew) had the sparge arm through the lid and it was always in the way. Really annoying when you just want the lid to be a lid.

Just turn the pump off and the lid will be a lid! won't be able to use the temp control but hay if you want recirc then you need the pump on to know what the temp is.

Just turn the pump off and the lid will be a lid! won't be able to use the temp control but hay if you want recirc then you need the pump on to know what the temp is.

Yeah except it has a giant silicone hose and sparge arm attached to it. I've brewed over 50 batches on the brew boss. The sparge and attachment in the lid is annoying and it gets in the way. It gets in the way when stirring, makes it difficult to put the pot lid down when you're brewing, it's attached to the pump which means when you forget to close the valve (and you will) the hot wort will be pouring on your feet when you set the lid on the ground to get your grains out after the mash. I could go on.

I've yet to use my new 20 gallon kettle with the accessory port in the side but I'm hoping it's a vast improvement. I'm sure there was a reason that darin moved it to the side on the new kettles and it wasn't just for show. That man thinks of everything

I'm really struggling with which system to get also, the Brew-Boss or the High Gravity BIAB system. I priced out both today and the HG system is literally like half the cost of the Brew Boss COFI system. I already have a pump and chiller so I could get the HG system for just under $800. The BB COFI system was up just ender $1600. This is all for a 15 gal. system. Is the BB system that slick and cool to justify an investment of this degree? I like the cost of the HG system but think the touchscreen tablet control of the BB system is super cool. I also can't help but think that the COFI system of mashing is superior to just a BIAB bag, but I could be wrong. I also like the higher-end clamps, etc. that are included in the BB system. I virtually exclusively brew 5 gallon batches but really enjoy imperial IPA's and Stouts so would like a system that would allow me to brew higher gravity 5 gallon batches. Would the 15 gal COFI system handle high gravity 5 gallon batches just fine? I was also thinking of this potential problem. What happens if something happens to Brew Boss the company and the tablet controller isn't supported? Then what if something goes wrong? At last the HG controller you could open up and change parts as it's pretty standard electric brewing components. If we needed to repair the BB system could it be done by a consumer or is it too proprietary for a DIY type fix?

Anyone by chance have both the HG and BB systems? If so would you care to give your preferences, likes/dislikes of each system?

Just looking for some good meat to help me make up my mind.

thanks

if you configure your own brew boss system to take out the components you dont need, itll bring down the cost significantly

even if Brew Boss vanished into thin air, their program on the tablet would still work. There have been 2 updates to the app so far and i havent even bothered with them. Works fine

you can open the controller unit just like any other electric system. Its the real brains of the system. Its just the tablet/app hat is the interface between you and it

I'm really struggling with which system to get also, the Brew-Boss or the High Gravity BIAB system. I priced out both today and the HG system is literally like half the cost of the Brew Boss COFI system. I already have a pump and chiller so I could get the HG system for just under $800. The BB COFI system was up just ender $1600. This is all for a 15 gal. system. Is the BB system that slick and cool to justify an investment of this degree? I like the cost of the HG system but think the touchscreen tablet control of the BB system is super cool. I also can't help but think that the COFI system of mashing is superior to just a BIAB bag, but I could be wrong. I also like the higher-end clamps, etc. that are included in the BB system. I virtually exclusively brew 5 gallon batches but really enjoy imperial IPA's and Stouts so would like a system that would allow me to brew higher gravity 5 gallon batches. Would the 15 gal COFI system handle high gravity 5 gallon batches just fine? I was also thinking of this potential problem. What happens if something happens to Brew Boss the company and the tablet controller isn't supported? Then what if something goes wrong? At last the HG controller you could open up and change parts as it's pretty standard electric brewing components. If we needed to repair the BB system could it be done by a consumer or is it too proprietary for a DIY type fix?

Anyone by chance have both the HG and BB systems? If so would you care to give your preferences, likes/dislikes of each system?

thanks

I want through the exact same struggles you are going through. I was pretty much set on buying the high gravity system until I ran across the brew boss. The Cofi filter really appealed to me and the tablet software. High gravity is essentially just a PID ( I felt if I was going to go that route I might as well build my own) I've seen the high gravity system in action. Its nice.

After a couple of emails with Darin is what eventually sold me on the brew boss. I really like how thought about everything and is always looking for a way to improve. I don't see him going anywhere.

I just did a 5 gallon beer with a SG of 1.13 with the 15 gallon cofi...so you can make big beers.

Ultimately its a tough call...they both make beer...I personally had the means to spend the extra money and haven't regretted my decision

Just to through a wrinkle into your decision the Colorado Brewing system might be an option too..its a little cheaper uses the metal basket but doesn't haven't the software...my brewing pal just went with that ...looking forward to comparing that with the brew boss.

Has anyone done 10 gallon (11 into fermenters) batches with the 15 gallon Brew Boss setup? I'm thinking about getting the kettle and bag to use with a custom controller -- a 15 gallon kettle with 2 triclover fittings and a whirlpool port already installed for $225 is a pretty good deal.

I'd go with the 20 gallon, but I'm worried about being able to do 5 gallon batches in that. On that note, are 5 gallon batches feasible with the 20 gallon kettle?

I want through the exact same struggles you are going through. I was pretty much set on buying the high gravity system until I ran across the brew boss. The Cofi filter really appealed to me and the tablet software. High gravity is essentially just a PID ( I felt if I was going to go that route I might as well build my own) I've seen the high gravity system in action. Its nice.

After a couple of emails with Darin is what eventually sold me on the brew boss. I really like how thought about everything and is always looking for a way to improve. I don't see him going anywhere.

I just did a 5 gallon beer with a SG of 1.13 with the 15 gallon cofi...so you can make big beers.

Ultimately its a tough call...they both make beer...I personally had the means to spend the extra money and haven't regretted my decision

Just to through a wrinkle into your decision the Colorado Brewing system might be an option too..its a little cheaper uses the metal basket but doesn't haven't the software...my brewing pal just went with that ...looking forward to comparing that with the brew boss.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences, Shumed. I have looked at the Colorado Brewing system but don't like the look of the controler. It looks super simple and I don't see control for the pump. I just don't have the knowledge or ,frankly, time that I want to devote to building my own system. I did that with my fermentation chamber and STC 1000 controller and it took me forever and I had to basically have a friend lead me through it as I have absolutely zero electrical knowledge. So, I'm trying to be realistic with myself and understand that I'm probably better off just buying a pre-made system.

I have the money saved up for the Brew Boss but I just figure how nice it would be to save $800 if possible and still have a great system. But, at the end of the day I want to get the best system, regardless of money.

:mug:

if you configure your own brew boss system to take out the components you dont need, itll bring down the cost significantly

even if Brew Boss vanished into thin air, their program on the tablet would still work. There have been 2 updates to the app so far and i havent even bothered with them. Works fine

you can open the controller unit just like any other electric system. Its the real brains of the system. Its just the tablet/app hat is the interface between you and it

Thanks for responding, m00ps. I did configure my own system on Brew-Boss, same with HG for that matter, and still came up with $1518 after the Black Friday discount. Even though I have a keggle, I wanted to get away from that heavy keggle. I also have a literally brand new 15 gallon pot with 2 tandem holes drilled in it but it's dimensions aren't the best. It's basically as wide as it is tall so I worry about how that would work with a heating element, etc. Just doesn't seem like the right dimensions. Great for a gas system but even then it seems like the prevailing wisdom thinks that taller than wide is a better shape for brewing. I feel bad, my mother in law gave it to me about 4-5 years ago and I just never put it into use. So, in response to your reply, again, all I'm really saving on with the BB is the pump and chiller. Granted I figured in the 10" tablet, trivets, swirl-boss also.:mug:

I was recently at a computer store and looked at tablets to get a feel for what a 7" vs. 10" tablet would be like. I definitely liked the 10" tablet better. What size tablets did you guys get with the BB system and are you happy with your choice?

Cheers!:mug:

I'd go with the 20 gallon, but I'm worried about being able to do 5 gallon batches in that. On that note, are 5 gallon batches feasible with the 20 gallon kettle?

I just made the same decision and for an extra $25 it seemed like a no brainer to go with the 20 gallon kettle. A 20 gallon kettle with 2 welded TC ferrules for $250?! According to the FAQ on the website 5 gallon batches are possible in the 20G kettle but with a max OG of about 1.075 because of the water needed to cover the grain.

I usually brew 5 gallon batches and had the old 15g brew-boss kettle with the weldless fittings. I went with the bigger kettle for those occasions where i want to brew a high OG 10 gallon batch. I ran into a few instances with the 15g kettle where I just didnt have enough room.

thanks

What about a middle ground? Brausupply has teamed up with BrewBoss. You can get a complete 16 gallon 240v BIAB system with the BrewBoss controller for under $1100.

http://brausupply.com/collections/b...0-gallon-brew-boss-automated-electric-brewery

I was recently at a computer store and looked at tablets to get a feel for what a 7" vs. 10" tablet would be like. I definitely liked the 10" tablet better. What size tablets did you guys get with the BB system and are you happy with your choice?

I just got the one that they have on their site. Its 7", Korean made and ridiculously off-brand. It has the least responsive touch screen since anything ive used pre-2008. But hey, it was only like $20 or something

I dont mind it. Inputtiong the original brew configurations was a pain since I typed my own directions and stuff. But now I only press the buttons to turnt he heater/pump on/off and hit the button to go to the next step. I

I just made the same decision and for an extra $25 it seemed like a no brainer to go with the 20 gallon kettle. A 20 gallon kettle with 2 welded TC ferrules for $250?! According to the FAQ on the website 5 gallon batches are possible in the 20G kettle but with a max OG of about 1.075 because of the water needed to cover the grain.

I usually brew 5 gallon batches and had the old 15g brew-boss kettle with the weldless fittings. I went with the bigger kettle for those occasions where i want to brew a high OG 10 gallon batch. I ran into a few instances with the 15g kettle where I just didnt have enough room.

How high OG were you able to get for 10 gallons in the 15? I don't brew much high gravity because I don't like to drink high ABV that much. So a few high gravity 5 gallon batches a year plus 10 gallon batches up to ~1.060 or so and I'd be happy, I think.

Any of you guys that use the swirl boss on your system, how do you like it? I am currently manually stirring with my immersion chiller mostly to settle out the hop debris as much as possible but it is not very effective. Just wondering how you all like the feature, thanks!

I like mine. I use hop bags though so I dont have much sediment, but I like how it agitates the wort to maximize my hopstand and also aerates it a good deal

Any of you guys that use the swirl boss on your system, how do you like it? I am currently manually stirring with my immersion chiller mostly to settle out the hop debris as much as possible but it is not very effective. Just wondering how you all like the feature, thanks!

I have one works great with the immersion chiller...I like to whirlpool hops at the end...collecting the debris in the middle is a wash though because you have to tip the kettle to get the last two gallons ...I dont fear trub though

How high OG were you able to get for 10 gallons in the 15? I don't brew much high gravity because I don't like to drink high ABV that much. So a few high gravity 5 gallon batches a year plus 10 gallon batches up to ~1.060 or so and I'd be happy, I think.

I did a 1.050 10 gallon beer...it was more like 9 gallons because it can only hold about 12 gallons of water with the cofi filter

Has anyone done 10 gallon (11 into fermenters) batches with the 15 gallon Brew Boss setup? I'm thinking about getting the kettle and bag to use with a custom controller -- a 15 gallon kettle with 2 triclover fittings and a whirlpool port already installed for $225 is a pretty good deal.

I do 11gallon batches 90min boil on my 15gallon BB system (non COFI) with ease. Just did a 11gal Oktoberfest with 25lbs of grain. I just reserve 2-3 gallons of water and pour it over the lifted bag.

I have one works great with the immersion chiller...I like to whirlpool hops at the end...collecting the debris in the middle is a wash though because you have to tip the kettle to get the last two gallons ...I dont fear trub though

Sure would be nice to figure out a way to get a pick up tube closer to the bottom of the kettle. Is this possible with the current BB kettle? Shumed, what options did you get with your Brew Boss? What size tablet did you go with?

Sure would be nice to figure out a way to get a pick up tube closer to the bottom of the kettle. Is this possible with the current BB kettle? Shamed, what options did you get with your Brew Boss?

Yes! I have been procrastinating about posting this up, however you can get a pickup from Brewer's Hardware. I got the idea of this from FreddyMar3's build. The pickup is too long, meaning that it hits the bottom of the Brew Boss Kettle. I had to use a Dremel tool and I removed about 1-1/4" from the tube. It has about 1/8"-1/4" space between the tube and the bottom of the kettle. I get less than 0.25 gallon left in the pot at the end of brewing.

I'll try to get a picture up of it tomorrow.

Yes! I have been procrastinating about posting this up, however you can get a pickup from Brewer's Hardware. I got the idea of this from FreddyMar3's build. The pickup is too long, meaning that it hits the bottom of the Brew Boss Kettle. I had to use a Dremel tool and I removed about 1-1/4" from the tube. It has about 1/8"-1/4" space between the tube and the bottom of the kettle. I get less than 0.25 gallon left in the pot at the end of brewing.

So, did you have to have that ti-clamp welded then or were you able to install the pickup tube on the existing hole placed for the valve? Also, did you also install a site glass other than the one he offers inline with the valve? If so, where did you install it and what site glass did you go with?

I asked Darin about adding a pick up tube ...he says you run the risk of the recirculation not working properly during the mash...Ill have to find his email with his explanation..
So no issues using one? I wouldnt think there would be

So, did you have to have that ti-clamp welded then or were you able to install the pickup tube on the existing hole placed for the valve?

I've been thinking of getting one of these myself. The BB ferrule is 1.5" so it will fit without any kettle modifications. After trimming the tube height as noted, it should be plug n' play.

I asked Darin about adding a pick up tube ...he says you run the risk of the recirculation not working properly during the mash...Ill have to find his email with his explanation..
So no issues using one? I wouldn't think there would be

I agree, I didn't think about the recirculating issue and I suppose Darin has explored this. But that pick-up tube is 1" and in a normal setup the flow path gets reduced to 1/2" by the ball valve a couple of inches away anyway. Perhaps there are some other "flow dynamics" I'm overlooking, but I would be surprised if this was really an issue...

I've been thinking of getting one of these myself. The BB ferrule is 1.5" so it will fit without any kettle modifications. After trimming the tube height as noted, it should be plug n' play.

Could someone post a picture regarding this. Since I don't own the system it's hard for me to visualize what you are referencing as far as ferrule, etc. Plus, I'm just not super mechanically inclined so I need visuals!;)

Back