Brew Boss Systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC, some people have tried using a mesh basket for this and the basket prevents a proper boil, it just kinda burps up around the outside of the basket. However, I believe these baskets were sized so there was minimal clearance to the kettle sidewall and they were made from 300u/400u material.

I don't think anyone has reported trying it with a COFI per se. Since the COFI is a bit smaller in diameter than the kettle and there is a good 1 1/2" clearance all around and as far as I know it is made from 800u material it might have shot.

Does anyone use the COFI filter as a hops filter too?

I don't, I usually use a hop spider to contain the hops. You could also use a hop bag as long as you attached a string to it to keep it off the heating element.

Not that you could not use the COFI as a hop filter, the mesh screen on it is fine enough, however it would be difficult as it takes less than 15 minutes to go from mash out to boil. At the same time I usually have the COFI still hanging and dripping over the pot. A lot of the time I am 10-15 minutes into the boil before I take down the COFI, even if you did rush it, then you would have to empty it and spray out all the grains stuck in it before sticking it back into the pot.

A solution if you really wanted to use the COFI basket would be if you added in the Brew Boss program a wait and hold temp until you press the Start button after finished mashing out. That would allow you time to empty and clean out the COFI so that you could reuse it for hops.

I use my COFI for a hops filter. I add it to the kettle with about 15 minutes left in the boil and recirculate wort with the SwirlBoss placed inside the COFI to filter hops and trub. Seems to work reasonably well so far.

Anyone got there's yet and if so what was your order number? Just curious how far off I am.

I'm 6016 and haven't received anything yet. I ordered a 15 gallon without the COFI. It said it was a popular item so probably just back ordered on it.

I'm 6048 (Deluxe 20g with COFI), no updates since ordering on black Friday. Status is still Processing.

I use my COFI for a hops filter. I add it to the kettle with about 15 minutes left in the boil and recirculate wort with the SwirlBoss placed inside the COFI to filter hops and trub. Seems to work reasonably well so far.

Interesting. I use hop bags since I use a stupid amount of hops in my IPAs and im worried about all the hop material clogging my plate chiller and pump. Do you just leave out the stem/false bottom assembly and stick the swirlboss into the hole? Im guess the level of the wort is below the top of the COFI cage to prevent hops from flowing out the top?

Guess I should've clarified, I didn't order a complete system just 15g biab kettle with some accessories. Probably why mine shipped out quicker before you guys.

My order number was 6066. I ordered the 20gallon biab system with the swirlboss and counter flow chiller. I have not heard anything about a shipping confirmation. Darin told me that the COFI would be the hardest lead time item. So I have hopes mine will go out before Christmas. Not that it matters cause I still have to get 220 to my brew area and need to install my shop sink.

I ended up getting the 20 gallon COFI during the sale. I'm planning on using my dryer outlet since it is 30 amp for a little while. My question is would I want to get the automatic 30 amp inline gfci plug and connector? I'm guessing it would be safer to use that?

Interesting. I use hop bags since I use a stupid amount of hops in my IPAs and im worried about all the hop material clogging my plate chiller and pump. Do you just leave out the stem/false bottom assembly and stick the swirlboss into the hole? Im guess the level of the wort is below the top of the COFI cage to prevent hops from flowing out the top?

Wort level is below the top of the filter basket for my batches. I just use the basket (no lid, no false bottom / stem) and attach the swirl boss to the inner side of the basket.

Just purchased a plate chiller. So I will find out soon enough if the COFI filter mesh is fine enough for hops bombs when using a plate chiller.

I ended up getting the 20 gallon COFI during the sale. I'm planning on using my dryer outlet since it is 30 amp for a little while. My question is would I want to get the automatic 30 amp inline gfci plug and connector? I'm guessing it would be safer to use that?

It might be cheaper to get a 30Amp GFI breaker for your panel. But either would be safer.

Wort level is below the top of the filter basket for my batches. I just use the basket (no lid, no false bottom / stem) and attach the swirl boss to the inner side of the basket.

Just purchased a plate chiller. So I will find out soon enough if the COFI filter mesh is fine enough for hops bombs when using a plate chiller.

I need to try this...I'm generally against filtering hops though. I find the flavor suffers a tad when you do

Since I ordered I have started finishing my basement. It has been a great motivation. I framed the walls 10 years ago and haven't done anything since. Since ordering tore some barn lumber off a barn installed it as wainscoting, run electric including the GFI outlet for brew boss, hung the drywall. Moving pool table out tomorrow and should have drywall finished early next week. Also picked up the stain for the concrete floors today. All this work has been done nights and weekends. This was a picture of it yesterday I finished hanging drywall tonight. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1449807476.156499.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1449807494.005557.jpg
Now hopefully the brew boss comes in before Christmas.

Please let us know. Ive got an IPA coming up next weekend I'd want to try this out with to see how much it changes the hop character. Im not having over 1lb of hops clog my chiller though

Any properly installed GFCI would be safe. None are really safer than another.

Stlblues mentioned putting in a GFCI breaker into your box. That is cheaper than the plug you are looking into and just as easy to install. Take out your current breaker and put in the new GFCI one.

Another option that is cheaper than both of those is building a spa panel. This is the route I went. It is the cheapest. For some reason a 50A spa panel is cheaper than a 30A GFCI breaker (the spa panel is GFCI). You will need to do some electrical work but it is very easy. I don't have much electrical experience and I did it. It also makes it portable so if you move or want to brew somewhere else you can easily pick up and go. The spa panel is basically a GFCI extension cord just with a box in the middle of it.

Does anyone use a CFC with their set up? Where did you install it?

I'm using a CFC and even with the pump it is hard getting wort through it. I have the kettle, pump and CFC on the same level table. I open the valves and turn the pump on. No wort goes through it. Does the CFC and/or pump need to be lower than the kettle?

Does anyone use a CFC with their set up? Where did you install it?

I'm using a CFC and even with the pump it is hard getting wort through it. I have the kettle, pump and CFC on the same level table. I open the valves and turn the pump on. No wort goes through it. Does the CFC and/or pump need to be lower than the kettle?

I have a plate chiller, but Im guessing the pump just isnt primed properly. Its best to have the pump below your kettle outlet so gravity feeds wort to the pump so there is no air in the tube going to the pump.

I usually pick up my pump (its not bolted down) and just hold it below my kettle for a minut until I see that the wort has stopped filling the inlet tube. Then its ready to go

As m00ps said the pump does need to be slightly below the kettle so that gravity will prime the pump. Running the pump dry can also damage it.

I have a plate chiller, but Im guessing the pump just isnt primed properly. Its best to have the pump below your kettle outlet so gravity feeds wort to the pump so there is no air in the tube going to the pump.

I usually pick up my pump (its not bolted down) and just hold it below my kettle for a minut until I see that the wort has stopped filling the inlet tube. Then its ready to go

Thanks, I'll try that next brew. I figured as long as the pump was below the top of the wort it would prime by gravity but air might be stopping that.

I just bought a project table from Harbor Freight that I am going to use for brewing. I'll bolt the pump and chiller below the kettle. Hopefully that helps.

As m00ps said the pump does need to be slightly below the kettle so that gravity will prime the pump. Running the pump dry can also damage it.

Oh yeah, I turned it off right away when no liquid is coming out.

Please let us know. Ive got an IPA coming up next weekend I'd want to try this out with to see how much it changes the hop character. Im not having over 1lb of hops clog my chiller though

It worked well enough for my IPA. Prevented clogging of pump and plate chiller (Duda) with a meager 6 oz of pellet hops, but a lot of hops did get through. Not sure what others are doing beyond the hop sock. COFI basket would make a good base for a really big hops sock and prevent scorching it on the element.

Any properly installed GFCI would be safe. None are really safer than another.

Stlblues mentioned putting in a GFCI breaker into your box. That is cheaper than the plug you are looking into and just as easy to install. Take out your current breaker and put in the new GFCI one.

Another option that is cheaper than both of those is building a spa panel. This is the route I went. It is the cheapest. For some reason a 50A spa panel is cheaper than a 30A GFCI breaker (the spa panel is GFCI). You will need to do some electrical work but it is very easy. I don't have much electrical experience and I did it. It also makes it portable so if you move or want to brew somewhere else you can easily pick up and go. The spa panel is basically a GFCI extension cord just with a box in the middle of it.

I am not an electrician, but my understanding is the BB is a 30 amp system. If you were to use a 50 amp spa panel you could damage the controller because the breaker wouldn't trip until 50 amps, if you had a 40 amp draw that would damage the controller and not trip the breaker. Just my $.02.
I am connecting mine to my 40 amp stove line by running the existing line to a sub panel and connecting the BB to a 30 amp GFCI breaker and the stove to a 40 amp breaker.

I am not an electrician, but my understanding is the BB is a 30 amp system. If you were to use a 50 amp spa panel you could damage the controller because the breaker wouldn't trip until 50 amps, if you had a 40 amp draw that would damage the controller and not trip the breaker. Just my $.02.
I am connecting mine to my 40 amp stove line by running the existing line to a sub panel and connecting the BB to a 30 amp GFCI breaker and the stove to a 40 amp breaker.
You would use the 50A spa panel in series with a 30A breaker in your panel. Since they are in series the 30A breaker would protect the controller.

Sorry, I should have mentioned what ingchr1 said. The breaker in the main panel is 30A non GFCI. So basically the amperage would be set by the main panel and the GFCI function would be the spa panel. The spa breaker can be 30A or above as long as your main breaker is 30A.

I just bought a 30 amp gfci breaker and installed it in my panel. It is a Siemens panel and it was 71 dollars from Amazon. I'm not sure if a spa panel is a lot cheaper but the breaker is really easy to install and no mounting another panel my 2 cents.

Sorry, I should have mentioned what ingchr1 said. The breaker in the main panel is 30A non GFCI. So basically the amperage would be set by the main panel and the GFCI function would be the spa panel. The spa breaker can be 30A or above as long as your main breaker is 30A.

Ah, that makes sense. Better safe than dead.

I am really interested in this. This is the only automated system that really interests me because you can still do 10 gallon batches and is under $5000 grand unlike other off the shelves automated systems that size. Sure it isn't a 3 vessel but lot less equipment to clean as well.

Can you explain more about the concrete stain? I too have a basement to finish and have been trying to decide what to do with the floor.

It works well with broomed finished concrete i would not do it again in my basement. I received all my materials from directcolors.com and ended up with a very fragile finish. There Stain did not mix well with the acetone and it looks like sand paper on my floor now. "Direct colors . com" should be avoided from all. Bad experience here.

Acid stain is the way to go. If your floor has not been cleaned with acid, or sealed. If it has, you will need to rent a concrete resurfacer.

I'm doing an acid stain. I will be removing the sealer before applying. I went to the concrete specialty store and the were very helpful.

I ordered the 10 gallon/COFI system black Friday.

What does everyone use for there hops container? I want somthing that wont clog or or have other problems.

Thanks for any info.

Hope to share my setup soon.

MIKE>

I am really interested in this. This is the only automated system that really interests me because you can still do 10 gallon batches and is under $5000 grand unlike other off the shelves automated systems that size. Sure it isn't a 3 vessel but lot less equipment to clean as well.

Colorado Brewing Systems has a pretty nice set-up. Their entry level electric eBIAB is a 10 gallon or they have a pro-consumer version starting at 20 gallons.

I think the advantage of Brew Boss is the automation, which is something that caught me eye ... now it's a matter of saving the $ to get it!

Back