Brett in a trippel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmcc75

Reaction score
Hey all,
I am planning on making a trippel and fermenting with wlp 550. I have a vial of yeast bay lochristi blend, and was thinking it might be nice to add this as well. Any thoughts? Good or bad, ideas on when to pitch or anything like that. Thanks in advance!

I would co-pitch the 2 so you develop brett character faster. This is how Ive started doing my brett'd beers and it definitely works faster. Especially cause YB says it can be slow to start

I made a black brett tripel a while back because Id never seen anything like it. Its mouth puckeringly sour now from dregs of various sour beers I added though

Cool thanks for the info, I'll give it a try.
Black brett trippel sounds pretty awesome.

Definitely co-pitch for quicker character. Just watch your OG because the brett will dry your beer out and you don't want to end up with an 11% beer that takes a year to mellow out. Or maybe you do....

You can pitch them together or pitch the sach first and then pitch the brett later. I do the second way more often. I have done many tripels and saisons this way and they come out great. I pitch the sach, let it go for a couple of weeks, rack to a carboy, add the brett and let it go for 3 or maybe 4 months and then bottle. All have been very good. But, of course I have 6 carboys that I can age these in so space is not an issue.

Back