First mashing, OG 1.105, what to do? O.o

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stiray

Reaction score
I was mashing today for the first time (and screwed up something obviously), 6.5kg of malt / 800g caramel sugar and targeting 30l (10 gallon) of Belgian trippel at around 1.080 OG. I have my fair share of ~150l history doing trippels before and they always fermented fine.

I got out 17l of wort with original gravity 1.105 (refractometer but calibrated, no alcohol content yet and measured at 21 degrees temperature and it really tastes sweet compared to my previous batches at 1.075) and I have no clue what to do. On one side I could dilute it, but fermenting OG 1.105 seems a really fun idea ( :mischievous:), also the wort tastes really nice. I have 3 x M31 dry packs that are fresh (the strain should survive high alcohol content) and I have added yeast nutrients to the yeast before figuring out what the original gravity is.

Will leave it to cool down over the night but I need a plan tomorrow (UTC +1).

Is it worth a try, what should I take care for (if it helps I also have fish tank cooler - peltier, but it works fine and conical fermenter) ?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Last edited:
Back