Brand new newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betho

Reaction score
I plan on going to my local homebrew store later this week to look into the equipment to get started. I'm a little overwhelmed, but trust the people at this shop. Any tips or special things I should look for? I am starting from scratch and a true newbie.

Thanks!

Beth

I plan on going to my local homebrew store later this week to look into the equipment to get started. I'm a little overwhelmed, but trust the people at this shop. Any tips or special things I should look for? I am starting from scratch and a true newbie.

Thanks!

Beth

Welcome to the hobby, "new" newbie!

I put together an article that covers most of the commonly asked newbie questions; you might find it to be useful. Link: Common Sense for Homebrewers.

Read that, it will go a long way towards helping get you started.

Glass is always better than plastic for fermenting your beer. Plastic scratches very easily and is more difficult to clean. Go for glass carboys if you can. Fermentation is the most important part of brewing your beer, so you don't want to go cheap here.

Also a yeast starter kit is something to look into. You need to pitch enough yeast to make good beer (if you don't pitch enough you're beer will suffer). You can do this by either buying 2+ packs or vials of yeast for $7 a piece, or you can make more yeast for the cost of one pack with a yeast starter. Worth at least looking into and saving you some cash in the long run (with that said though, a yeast starter can be made cheaply with a gallon glass jug, but a starter kit will make things a bit easier).

Glass is always better than plastic for fermenting your beer. Plastic scratches very easily and is more difficult to clean. Go for glass carboys if you can. Fermentation is the most important part of brewing your beer, so you don't want to go cheap here.

Also a yeast starter kit is something to look into. You need to pitch enough yeast to make good beer (if you don't pitch enough you're beer will suffer). You can do this by either buying 2+ packs or vials of yeast for $7 a piece, or you can make more yeast for the cost of one pack with a yeast starter. Worth at least looking into and saving you some cash in the long run (with that said though, a yeast starter can be made cheaply with a gallon glass jug, but a starter kit will make things a bit easier).

I'm a glass guy myself, and I wouldn't dream of fermenting in plastic... but lots of people swear by it, and enjoy their less expensive fermenters.... even tell terrible tales about horrible injuries caused by broken glass.

"Always" seems a strong term.

Start simple! There are so many things to worry about.

Get a basic starter kit and make sure you get an auto-siphon.

Starsan sanitizer is highly recommended.

For your first batches keep the beer in the primary for 3+ weeks and skip the secondary.

Use good dry yeast (Nottingham, US-05, US-04) wait on liquid yeast until you are ready.

Patience and fermentation temps are key - and if you don't have 50 or so bottles yet pick some up some beer to keep yourself busy while you wait.

Like others said.......sanitation and fermentation are the keys to making beer. Clean and sanitize everything!! And look into fermenting options, for me in an apt a swamp cooler works quite well

I'm very new to all of this but can say with confidence, everyone on this forum can be a help to you. There is a culture here that is truly made up of a great group of people with lots of good advice.

Being so new to brewing, I rely heavily on the conversations of this forum and the links and photos provided to educate myself on the science of brewing. I suggest doing the same while also drawing your own conclusions. Take in the advise offered, but don't be afraid to experiment.

I myself use glass carboys but noticed a ton of people using plastic buckets. I really don't know why, but for my own mental comfort, i use glass. I thought secondary fermenter was the answer to everything brewing. But now, I read more about skipping the secondary. So I will experiment with my next batch and skip the secondary.

I guess what I'm saying is, trust in what people have to offer here and not worry too much. As soon as you experience your first batch of beer is actually drinkable, your confidence will increase and you will be hooked on brewing beer.

So few things these days bring such a group of helpful, honest and truly passionate people together. Enjoy it.

Cheers!

a starter kit can save you money over buying individual items.

But kits are going in the opposite direction of homebrewers (even new brewers that never made a batch).
10-15 years ago starter kits came with carboys, blow off tubes, ph testers, water hardness testers, higher end name brand hydrometers, lab thermometers, books etc.

homebrewers are becoming more technical out of the gate yet kits are more and more containing a couple buckets, an auto siphon, a cheap hydrometer and an airlock.

A Better Bottle fermentation vessel would be good to start with. It's much lighter than a glass carboy, and you'll still be able to peek at your beer and get an idea of what's going on during fermentation. Much more fun than an Ale Pail, and more educational!
Everyone here is great- lots of patience with newbie questions!
I read a bit before I made my first beer, but like lots of things, actually brewing gives you more understanding of the equipment and process than reading about it. And also leads to having more questions. A search of this forum is all that's needed to answer just about any question you have.

Most LHBS will carry a basic starter kit and it should have everything you need to start, except the boil kettle and a wort chiller. Until you get your feet wet and have done a couple beers you don't need to go crazy. I started with a $75 kit, added a 5 gal Kettle and a wort chiller and brewed 6-10 batches with that minimal equipment and was very content until I really learned what I was doing and new I wasn't leaving the hobby/obsession.

For this forum, READ THE STICKIES that lead off each forum, there is a tremendous amount of information there written by very experienced people and answer many early questions that arise. Of course, we are all here to assist as well as you will see in reading through many of the threads.

One thing to keep in mind, there are a million opinions out there and none are absolutely right or wrong, everyone has their way of doing something that works for them and their set up. It is up to you to absorb the information out there and select what works for you. That being said, you will catch on to the theme of the majority and if the majority of brewers are doing it, it will probably be the best way to go about something.

Cheers and Welcome!:)

Greetings......
I am also pretty new to this hobsession. I have bottled 1st batch, got #2 fermenting, and am looking at what to brew for #3, #4, #5.... .... .... ....

Relax, take your time, let it sink in, and enjoy the ride!

Welcome to a fascinating hobby. I just want to put in a good word for plastic (Better Bottles). I've been using them for years and they work great. In fact, I only have one glass carboy and seldom use it (only for long term aging). There are several reports here of people who have been seriously injured by glass carboys breaking. If you do go with glass carboys, get milk crates or a BrewHauler to carry them in. If you choose Better Bottles, check their web site for proper usage and care instructions. And many people are quite happy fermenting in plastic buckets.

I appreciate all of the replies! I can't wait to get to the homebrew store - probably not until tomorrow. I'm hoping to get started this weekend. I've been reading tons and probably will read tons more before the weekend.

I'll keep y'all posted! :mug:

This is good advice, but a yeast starter isn't always necessary--depends on the gravity of the beer. I didn't make a yeast starter on my first batch, and don't always use them now.

I know you may have only a foggy idea of what I'm talkin' about right now Betho, but for your first batch brew a low gravity beer and use a smack pack (Wyeast) or vial (white labs)--these are both liquid yeasts. Or, use dry yeast but re-hydrate it--that's pretty easy to do. The last option would be to just sprinkle dry yeast on the wort (unfermented beer). That would be the simplest route, though some would argue this would have the potential for the lowest quality end product as compared to re-hydrating or using liquid yeast. (I re-hydrate when I use dry yeast now).

Now, once you're ready to progress and make better and / or higher gravity (higher alcohol) beer, as trevor mentions, you can investigate yeast starters.

My first batch was an english bitter, and I sprinkled dry yeast onto the wort. Four years later my wife still says it's the best beer I've brewed, but then again she's not much of a beer likin' kinda gal and hasn't really drink what I've brewed since then.

Keep it simple initally and focus on proficiency with the brewing process, sanitization, and controlling fermentation temps.

homebrewdad said:
I'm a glass guy myself, and I wouldn't dream of fermenting in plastic... but lots of people swear by it, and enjoy their less expensive fermenters.... even tell terrible tales about horrible injuries caused by broken glass.

"Always" seems a strong term.

Yeah I agree that always was too strong of a strong term. Plastic buckets can have it's advantages such as skimming krausen, although for the most part glass is the way to go.

Well, excitement ensues here. Bought some nice equipment this afternoon as well as a good pale ale kit. Got started brewing it and it is now in its primary happily fermenting away. I was relieved when our OG reading was right on target (worry wart here). We are excited to get to the next step.

Thanks, everyone!

Latest posts

Back