Bottling straight from glass carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the topic kinda went from Primary vs. Secondary.. somehow. I never owned a carboy and either had a bucket or my HDPE Conical which has served me VERY well for many years now.

I do like the fact that I can go from Fermenter to Keg without any issues. I also had NO problems going from the plastic bucket to the keg.

I don't see why it would be "harmful" to bottle from a carboy other than disturbing the trub. I guess it would be just too much of a hassle. Maybe someone could tell me why it would actually "Ruin" the beer to bottle straight from the carboy. Just wondering what the issue is here? I mean carboys are popular and sold at every LBS I have ever been to.

Some of my best friends have carboys. Satire.

Are you trying to pick a fight here?

Obviously conditioning in a 6 gallon fermenter is different from a giant tank at a brewery, plus filtering isn't even a part of this debate.

Anyways. Bottling from primary is a ridiculous suggestion, I'm suprised ANYBODY would suggest that.

Remember how I gently suggested "Knock it off"? I meant everybody. I wasn't kidding.

But, like you said, bottling from primary is something we all think is not a great suggestion. Let's move on.

When I'm making still wines, meads, or ciders (meaning, I'm not adding priming sugar) - I will bottle directly from the carboy using the autosiphon with the bottle wand on the end of the hose.

Granted, these have all been racked multiple times, so there is nothing to disturb....

I gotta ask, OP, does the LHBS condone the use of carb tabs, or are they a corn sugar in the bottling container type of shop. Just wondering how they recommend bottling from primary and having consistent carbonation...

I gotta ask, OP, does the LHBS condone the use of carb tabs, or are they a corn sugar in the bottling container type of shop. Just wondering how they recommend bottling from primary and having consistent carbonation...

Good question. They would almost have to be for carb tabs, wouldn't they? Mixing the corn sugar into the fermenter would just stir up the sediment. Not to mention, how do you stir it well in a carboy with that narrow neck?

I started with MB which is bottled straight from the primary. I have since
moved on to 5 gallon all grain and ferment in 6.5 gallon plastic buckets which
I installed the spiggots slightly higher than normal. I prime the bottles with
funnel and meas. spoon " 5 minutes max" . Once I purge the valve, the beer
is clear and I bottle straight from it with no problems. Usually I ferment
3 & 1/2 - 4 weeks so the beer is very clear and what little yeast ends up
in the bottles is very tight on the bottom of the bottles. Maybe one day I
will secondary, then again maybe not. It works just fine and the beer taste
great.

Although I do not bottle from primary, I do bottle from a glass carboy. When racking from secondary (if I used one) or primary, I dump the dissolved priming sugar into the carboy and rack on top of it. I then use an autosiphon and bottling wand to fill bottles. I started doing this to reduce my beer's contact with plastic wherever possible, but it works so well that I don't really consider it to be any extra work compared to using a bucket. As always, YMMV.

Although I do not bottle from primary, I do bottle from a glass carboy. When racking from secondary (if I used one) or primary, I dump the dissolved priming sugar into the carboy and rack on top of it. I then use an autosiphon and bottling wand to fill bottles. I started doing this to reduce my beer's contact with plastic wherever possible, but it works so well that I don't really consider it to be any extra work compared to using a bucket. As always, YMMV.

I used to do this too, but with a better bottle. I used carboy caps and racking canes to transfer, then just added the bottling wand and restart the siphon and voila, I preferred this to a bucket for a number of reasons.

I've sense come to think that bottling from a keg (like uncarbonated beer and priming sugar from a keg) is the best route for a number of reasons, which obviously doesn't help people without kegs and c02.

Wow, didn't expect this thread to blow up quite so much. To clarify, the LHBS recommends making your priming sugar mix, then pouring it through a funnel into beer that had been racked into a secondary glass carboy days prior. After waiting 30 minutes to an hour you bottle.

Anyways, after reading the responses, I used my (sanitized) plastic primary as a bottling bucket and used Revvy's setup. So much easier than with the autosiphon! Definitely going to do it that way from now on.

Latest posts

Back