Bottle Conditioning Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BennyN

Reaction score
Will bottle conditioning mellow out Diacetyl? I racked from my carboy to bottling bucket as soon as I hit my target gravity (regretting my lack of patience) and I'm definitely picking up some butterscotch after two weeks in the bottle. It's not by any means overwhelming, but I wouldn't mind if it were a bit less up front.

It's an Amarillo ale that fermented at about 70-73 degrees. I pitched Safeale US-05.

Thanks for the help!

Probably not. Let it sit a bit longer next time after hitting your target gravity; this will let the yeast re-absorb the diacetyl.

awhile back I took a stab at a gumball head clone. It was 2-row, white wheat, US-05, & tons of amarillo,. That thing was a butter bomb for some reason. It never died down no matter how long it sat in the bottle.

I had fermented a lot of beers under the same conditions (68ish) with US-05 and never had noticable diacetyl. I don't know if the mellow amarillo flavor just let the butter come through more than other hops I had used or what.

Same here. I use US-05 almost exclusively and this is my first issue with diacetyl. Definitely a good lesson for me to leave it in the primary longer. It's still drinkable, so I'm happy about that. I'm going to do another few weeks in the bottle just for good measure.

But yeah, an all amarillo ale is definitely pretty mellow. This was the first one I brewed and I expected a little more bitterness, but I'm still learning. Love them as a flavor and aroma hop, but I'll be going with something a little more aggressive for my bittering hops from now on.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated!

Will bottle conditioning mellow out Diacetyl? I racked from my carboy to bottling bucket as soon as I hit my target gravity (regretting my lack of patience) and I'm definitely picking up some butterscotch after two weeks in the bottle. It's not by any means overwhelming, but I wouldn't mind if it were a bit less up front.

It's an Amarillo ale that fermented at about 70-73 degrees. I pitched Safeale US-05.

Thanks for the help!

You might also be getting some off flavors from fermenting on the high side of the yeasts temp range. I will tell you that on some of my beers, the time between the second and third week made a world of difference. Also, what temp are you conditioning them at, try keeping that near 70.

I've fermented US-05 on the high side all summer here in SC... no Diacetyl. but I let mine sit a while on or close by an AC vent after ferm stops... for an extra week or two. (ferm was about 2' away from vent in a swamp cooler) .

My cream ales came out almost lagery and brown ales came out great! (brown only sat on vent for 3 days) Had a Really Big Banana & Clove hefe this summer using this method (best so far) but hefe sat next to vent not on the vent.

Back