Black ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marchio-93

Reaction score
Hello! What about this recipe? I was looking for a "session" black ipa

OG 1.044, 24 litres (5 gal) IBU 33, BU/GU 0.78, EBC 58

Pale Ale 70%
Rauch 10%
Carafa special 3 6% (cold steeping)
Sugar 5%
Flaked barley 3%
Flaked oat 3%
Crystal 160 EBC 3%
Roasted barley 1% (cold steeping)

3g (0.1 Oz) Centennial 60'
27g (0.95 Oz) Williamette 60'
27g Centennial - whirpool
30g (1 Oz) Citra - whirpool
50g (1.75 Oz) Cascade cryo 5 days dry hopping
30g (1 Oz) Citra 3 days dry hopping

Pale Ale 70%
Rauch 10%
Sugar 5%
Flaked barley 3%
Flaked oat 3%
Crystal 160 EBC 3%

I would personally get rid of the Rauch and the crystal. Obviously it’s personal preference but I feel smoked malt will take away from the overall beer. Also 160 is going to give you that raisin dark crystal note again which will take away from the hops.

I believe a black ipa should be an ipa first and then layered with just enough roast/chocolate notes that give it complexity. I’d do something more of the lines of

78% 2 row
10% wheat malt
6 % Carafa III
4% Biscuit or Caramunich II
2 % Roast Barley

Why wheat and why not Flaked oat/barley?
Thanks
No reason you can’t or shouldn’t use flaked oats or barley in it. For this style I just tend to like wheat malt so the body isn’t as thick and to get better head retention. I brew my black ipas closer in style to a west coast ipa than a NEIPA.

I would personally get rid of the Rauch and the crystal. Obviously it’s personal preference but I feel smoked malt will take away from the overall beer. Also 160 is going to give you that raisin dark crystal note again which will take away from the hops.

I believe a black ipa should be an ipa first and then layered with just enough roast/chocolate notes that give it complexity. I’d do something more of the lines of

78% 2 row
10% wheat malt
6 % Carafa III
4% Biscuit or Caramunich II
2 % Roast Barley
This, but ditch the roasted barley. If the Carafa III gets you to about 25-30 SRM, you're good to go. And you could do oats or wheat for that. But I agree with that overall assessment that is should be an IPA first, with just a hint of a roast character. I always think of a chocolate covered orange. You get mostly orange, but that chocolate is on the edges to add complexity.

This, but ditch the roasted barley. If the Carafa III gets you to about 25-30 SRM, you're good to go. And you could do oats or wheat for that. But I agree with that overall assessment that is should be an IPA first, with just a hint of a roast character. I always think of a chocolate covered orange. You get mostly orange, but that chocolate is on the edges to add complexity.
Yeah you either like a touch of roasted barley or you don’t. For me carafa III alone just doesn’t give enough Umph to the nose over the hops. I like to smell it so I always use around 4%. Scored a 39 in my last bjcp comp with the recipe I’m working on. I didn’t place sadly (they grouped all ipa’s together)

Pale Ale 70%
Rauch 10%
Sugar 5%
Flaked barley 3%
Flaked oat 3%
Crystal 160 EBC 3%

I would also get rid of the Rauch. Question I have is why the sugar? Are you looking to finish really dry or just boost abv??

I kinda like it, but cut way back on the rauch, depending on how much smoke you want. The hardest part is making sure that the hops will play well with the smoke.
The couple similar I like have more like 2% smoked malt - also dependent on what smoke it is. Peat go even less, cherry or something maybe a hair more.
Personally, I like the piney hops with the smoke flavor.

Yeah you either like a touch of roasted barley or you don’t. For me carafa III alone just doesn’t give enough Umph to the nose over the hops. I like to smell it so I always use around 4%. Scored a 39 in my last bjcp comp with the recipe I’m working on. I didn’t place sadly (they grouped all ipa’s together)
But why Caramunich II? I tried biscuit and I didn't like it. However I think I could use a veeeery little amount of Rauch just to see how it goes, I think it could just add complexity to the roast flavor, in a little percent! I like to add sugar when I use high ebc malts to compensate the body, I don't know if it make any sense. So the recipe could go like this:

80% Pale
6% Carafa 3
7% flaked
4% sugar
2% rauch
1% roasted barley

Maybe Caramunich?

But why Caramunich II? I tried biscuit and I didn't like it. However I think I could use a veeeery little amount of Rauch just to see how it goes, I think it could just add complexity to the roast flavor, in a little percent! I like to add sugar when I use high ebc malts to compensate the body, I don't know if it make any sense. So the recipe could go like this:

80% Pale
6% Carafa 3
7% flaked
4% sugar
2% rauch
1% roasted barley

Maybe Caramunich?
Really any malt with some true maltiness but not crystal like sweetness works great. It helps fill the middle flavor and smooth/round out any disconnect of hop vs roast.

I’m giving you suggestion based on brewing this beer to style, but by all means try smoked grains if you like them, it’s your beer. For me smoked grains don’t pair well with hop driven styles but again it’s a preference thing and you might love it.

But why no sugar? Because you said it’s going to be a session black ipa in the 1.040. Most likely the beer will already be on the thinner side and sugar will just thin it out (and dry it out) even more. In session brewing, always try to maintain as much body as you can.

Here is the style guidelines if you’re interested
http://www.bjcp.org/style/2015/21/21B/specialty-ipa-black-ipa/

Really any malt with some true maltiness but not crystal like sweetness works great. It helps fill the middle flavor and smooth/round out any disconnect of hop vs roast.

But why no sugar? Because you said it’s going to be a session black ipa in the 1.040. Most likely the beer will already be on the thinner side and sugar will just thin it out (and dry it out) even more. In session brewing, always try to maintain as much body as you can.

Here is the style guidelines if you’re interested
http://www.bjcp.org/style/2015/21/21B/specialty-ipa-black-ipa/
Thank you very much, I'll switch the sugar with Caramunich II!

80% Pale
7% Flaked
6% Carafa 3
4% Caramunich II
2% Rauch
1% roasted

The hops are okay? Citra + centennial in whirlpool, Cascade in the end of fermentation and citra last 3 days

Thank you very much, I'll switch the sugar with Caramunich II!

80% Pale
7% Flaked
6% Carafa 3
4% Caramunich II
2% Rauch
1% roasted

The hops are okay? Citra + centennial in whirlpool, Cascade in the end of fermentation and citra last 3 days
The hops should work great. Finishing off with citra in the final dryhop is a great call. It will help brighten up the nose of the beer.

I dont want to start another thread so I'll just participate here. A buddy wants a black IPA so were trying to come up with something. I figured the water profile should be like a west coast IPA. I've never made one before . How does this look?

12# 2 row
.75 # crystal 60L
.5# victory malt
.5# chocolate light
.5# carafa ll DE

Magnum
Centennial
Cascade

Dry hop - Simcoe , cascade & centennial

I dont want to start another thread so I'll just participate here. A buddy wants a black IPA so were trying to come up with something. I figured the water profile should be like a west coast IPA. I've never made one before . How does this look?

12# 2 row
.75 # crystal 60L
.5# victory malt
.5# chocolate light
.5# carafa ll DE

Magnum
Centennial
Cascade

Dry hop - Simcoe , cascade & centennial
I like it. Just as before though I really don’t like true crystal malts so I use biscuit or cara Munich but if you prefer their flavor stick with it. I would use a really bright hop in the dryhop though. Something really citrus forward so it isn’t just earthy/floral/ pine with roast. A nice citrus note makes the beer seem brighter IMHO

I like it. Just as before though I really don’t like true crystal malts so I use biscuit or cara Munich but if you prefer their flavor stick with it. I would use a really bright hop in the dryhop though. Something really citrus forward so it isn’t just earthy/floral/ pine with roast. A nice citrus note makes the beer seem brighter IMHO

I like cara Munich. Victory malt has a biscuity profile doesnt it . Maybe I'll swap out the Simcoe for some Citra for dry hop as well. Thanks for the feed back man !

I like cara Munich. Victory malt has a biscuity profile doesnt it . Maybe I'll swap out the Simcoe for some Citra for dry hop as well. Thanks for the feed back man !
Victory does have some crackery notes which is good but I was referring to the .75lb of c60. And I would swap out the centennial with the Citra in the dryhop personally but either would work

Whst are you guys shooting for on a Black IPA? I've fiddled around and I'm between 1.014 and 16. Seems kinda high as my WC IPA finishes around 8. It must be the dark grain . I even took out the crystal 60 and still was 14

Seems to me there are kinds of Black IPA's around. Some are hoppy, others are just dark, some are roasty and some are not. When it was all the craze years ago, I found someone on HBT who shared his recipe and since 2012, I brew this 2-3 times a year. Friends always ask me for it and recently, someone asked me to brew a keg for a wedding. It may not be everybody's type of BIPA but I enjoy it very much.
So is it a BIPA, CDA or whatever? Don't know, don't care, it's good.
You can find the original here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/black-ipa.312510/#post-3885859

Occasionally I've taken to add about 8 oz of Chocolate rye malt which gives it just a subtle difference. I've also tried other yeasts and like the 001 best but it's also good with Denny's 1450 and WLP007. It's fun to play with different yeasts and see what they bring to the beer.

Latest posts

Back