Bitter orange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackAlley

Reaction score
Am planning on brewing an Ommegang clone next weekend and the BYO recipe calls for dried bitter orange peel (Curacao actually) However Randy Mosher in Radical Brewing writes that he doesn't care for the flavor and prefers fresh peel. Any suggestions for the type of orange and how much fresh to replace 0.25oz of dried?

I don't know what sort of orange to use, but a good rule of thumb for weight of dried product to weight of undried product is 1:4. Most plants are about 90% water by weight, but not all of that is evaporated in drying.

I do not know a ratio of dried to undried, 1:4 sounds right to me.

I have used orange peel (both dried and fresh) in Centennial Blonde Ales in the past.

1 oz of dried in the boil (60min) gave very little, if any, orange flavor to the beer IMO.

1 oz of dried at 15min gave me a hint of flavor.

1.5oz of fresh orange zest (no white pith) that I removed with from a California navel orange added for 7 days dry hop was quite delicious in the blonde though.

Now as far as Ommegang clone goes, I do not know what to recommend.
But 0.25oz seems like a VERY tiny amount to add and expect any flavor contributions.

Thanks guys. I'll let you know what I go with and what my impressions are.

I just did an APA where I added 2 oz of sweet dried orange peel at 10 minutes and imho it wasn't enough. I get orange, but not as much as I was expecting. It was fairly hoppy though (dry hopped) so that might be hiding some of the flavor.

I'm doing a dubbel so I'm looking for just a supportive flavor, maybe not even really noticeable. I can always dose in the keg later

Back