Dried bitter orange peels + vodka = ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxStout

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 1 oz packet of dried bitter orange peel sitting around in the freezer, probably never would use it in beer, so I put it in a jar with about 12 oz of cheap 100-proof vodka and let it sit for a week.

I filtered it through a coffee filter today and have this:

OrangeBitters.jpg

I tasted a bit, yowser is it ever bitter. I wasn't expecting Cointreau, but might have to try just a few drops in a cocktail.

Yep, it definitely is bitter. Funny thing... I just did the same thing, only in more vodka (didn't like that vodka anyway) about a month ago and still bitter.

Attachments

• Orange Vodka.jpg
    Orange Vodka.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 0
I do that with leftovers as well. I like it a bit in an old-fashioned. It's not quite right but it's interesting.

Cacoa nibs also soak nicely, for a little addition to a stout.

Sweet orange goes well in some lighter beers - a little in a pale ale for example.

Oh, and since you're also in MN, check out the "Lake House" vodka from J. Carver. Pale blue (not dark blue) label. It's stupendously smooth. Like world class smooth. Can drink it straight (I don't, but it can be done, it's that good). It wouldn't be right for a bloody mary but it's perfect in white russians. And for soaking nibs and other things as well. You just get the flavor of what you added, pretty much zero alcohol bite on top of it.

Back