Mandarina bavaria hop / orange Kolsch question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its clearly defined what an IPA is. But that didn’t stop people from changing it all around, clouding it up, adding flour to it, and all kinds of other stuff. This is just what homebrewers do. They add coco puffs, frosted flaked or waffles to beer too. I think sometimes just because they can. People have ideas and lets just say they are not all good ideas. Orange kolsch doesn’t sound too bad
Yes, do experiments! All good!

Just name is accordingly. Kölsch is literally a registered thing it is specifically stated what it is. From the original people who are making it. Respect that.

This is not the case in most other beer categories, some of them even made up like ESB or wee heavy. Made up by people who are not even from the country where these styles are supposed to be existing.

I’m past getting hung up on specific style definitions - they were just written to be reflective of what is or was being brewed and sold with success at any point in time anyway. Styles have been changing for decades, since Sierra Nevada first changed everything. A beer doesn’t need to fit a specific style definition to be a good beer. And we’re not selling our beer. It’s not for the public. It’s never going to be on a store shelf or written about by any beer writers. So who cares what you call it if only you and maybe a couple friends are the only ones who will ever see it or taste it? You’re not breaking any laws or violating any appellations, etc.

I’m all for experiments. But the end result is some quantity of beer. Depending on whether people are brewing 1 gallon, 3 gallons, 5 gallons, more, or a different batch size. So before somebody sets out to brew a chocolate chicken chipotle porter with waffles and coco puffs - the question to be asked goes “Does this sound like something I’m going to want to drink x gallons of?” Thats all I’m saying with regards to “experiments”.

I’m past getting hung up on specific style definitions - they were just written to be reflective of what is or was being brewed and sold with success at any point in time anyway. Styles have been changing for decades, since Sierra Nevada first changed everything. A beer doesn’t need to fit a specific style definition to be a good beer. And we’re not selling our beer. It’s not for the public. It’s never going to be on a store shelf or written about by any beer writers. So who cares what you call it if only you and maybe a couple friends are the only ones who will ever see it or taste it? You’re not breaking any laws or violating any appellations, etc.

I’m all for experiments. But the end result is some quantity of beer. Depending on whether people are brewing 1 gallon, 3 gallons, 5 gallons, more, or a different batch size. So before somebody sets out to brew a chocolate chicken chipotle porter with waffles and coco puffs - the question to be asked goes “Does this sound like something I’m going to want to drink x gallons of?” Thats all I’m saying with regards to “experiments”.
I understand that. But go to cologne, give them one of the described orange beers to try and tell them that's an orange Kölsch. Most of them will most definitely tell you that this certainly is not a Kölsch and some of them might even go further and tell you that this is not a beer.

So by all means do all the experiments and add whatever satisfies either your taste or your curiosity, but at least keep in mind that some specific things are very much narrowed down in terms of what it is and what it is not. We Germans love that, we need our boxes where we can organise our world with. And this is a German invention. There is no such thing as an orange kölsch, that's simply it :D

Ron Pattinson is an unsavory turd.

My first thought is that if an "unsavory turd" exists, then what does a "savory turd" taste like?
My second thought is that now I have inspiration to start my Nano-Brewery/Bistro, which will be named Savory Turd Brewing.
All beers produced by Savory Turd Brewing will be brewed in the Kolsch style, but I'll add all kinds of fruit, cocoa nibs, spices and the like, just for fun to see if anyone says anything. With any luck, there will be a street protest by the group "ALL KOLCH MATTERS", I'll get tons of free publicity and I can sell the brewpub for big money and retire.
OK, my apology for going :off: but I'm just poking fun at you folks that are taking things a little too seriously.

But back to the OP's question, I think 3 oz of hops in a 5 gallon batch is a little heavy handed. I'd go lighter with the hops and add the McCormicks orange extract or an orange tincture to taste at packaging as suggested above. Let us know if you like it.

I understand that. But go to cologne, give them one of the described orange beers to try and tell them that's an orange Kölsch. Most of them will most definitely tell you that this certainly is not a Kölsch and some of them might even go further and tell you that this is not a beer.

So by all means do all the experiments and add whatever satisfies either your taste or your curiosity, but at least keep in mind that some specific things are very much narrowed down in terms of what it is and what it is not. We Germans love that, we need our boxes where we can organise our world with. And this is a German invention. There is no such thing as an orange kölsch, that's simply it :D
Now all that said I do read up on styles and try to brew using the right ingredients and a reasonable recipe. Maris Otter and British hops for a bitter, Pilsener and noble hops for a lager, etc. The guidelines reflect commercial beers being sold. So of course it pays to follow the guidelines.

Kolsch was never one of my pet styles. I’ve had some and enjoyed them but I don’t brew or usually buy them. I buy lagers like Weihenstephaner, etc. Because I love those and I can’t brew anything close to those.

My first thought is that if an "unsavory turd" exists, then what does a "savory turd" taste like?
My second thought is that now I have inspiration to start my Nano-Brewery/Bistro, which will be named Savory Turd Brewing.
All beers produced by Savory Turd Brewing will be brewed in the Kolsch style, but I'll add all kinds of fruit, cocoa nibs, spices and the like, just for fun to see if anyone says anything. With any luck, there will be a street protest by the group "ALL KOLCH MATTERS", I'll get tons of free publicity and I can sell the brewpub for big money and retire.
OK, my apology for going :off: but I'm just poking fun at you folks that are taking things a little too seriously.

But back to the OP's question, I think 3 oz of hops in a 5 gallon batch is a little heavy handed. I'd go lighter with the hops and add the McCormicks orange extract or an orange tincture to taste at packaging as suggested above. Let us know if you like it.
That made me giggle :D

Now all that said I do read up on styles and try to brew using the right ingredients and a reasonable recipe. Maris Otter and British hops for a bitter, Pilsener and noble hops for a lager, etc. The guidelines reflect commercial beers being sold. So of course it pays to follow the guidelines.

Kolsch was never one of my pet styles. I’ve had some and enjoyed them but I don’t brew or usually buy them. I buy lagers like Weihenstephaner, etc. Because I love those and I can’t brew anything close to those.
Fun thing is, there's probably nobody else on this forum who couldn't give less on guidelines than me. Especially if these guidelines are made up by somebody who had no connection to what he is actually writing about.

But this one is different. There is not a guideline there, there is even something like a law behind that. And it comes from the country where the beer comes from and from the people who invented it So it's like a little protection and appreciation at the same time by respecting this.

Legally you would even need to brew within the area of the city and some more things, ok, screw that, that is an economical protection. But the rest, ingredients, result, that should be as described, otherwise it's just something different, not a kölsch.

Did some hunting around for Orange Kolsch ideas and turns out BierMuncher put up a recipe here on HBT in 2007 that includes orange peel and coriander, he stated that the taste was "fantastic" :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/orange-kolsch-ag-ex.30918/Here's an article where the author infused commercial a Kolsch with orange and vanilla bean:
https://patspints.com/2014/12/16/a-kolsch-an-orange-and-a-vanilla-bean-walk-into-a-bar/For more ideas just search "Orange Kolsch Recipes" there's lots more including a you tube video.
:mug:

Fun thing is, there's probably nobody else on this forum who couldn't give less on guidelines than me. Especially if these guidelines are made up by somebody who had no connection to what he is actually writing about.

But this one is different. There is not a guideline there, there is even something like a law behind that. And it comes from the country where the beer comes from and from the people who invented it So it's like a little protection and appreciation at the same time by respecting this.

Legally you would even need to brew within the area of the city and some more things, ok, screw that, that is an economical protection. But the rest, ingredients, result, that should be as described, otherwise it's just something different, not a kölsch.
Just brewed up 12 gallons of my latest Kölsch recipe.
20200223_161016.jpg

All the pearl-clutching going on in here, all over some guy adding a bit of orange peel to a beer and still having the audacity to call it Kölsch. Where's my fainting couch when I need it?!

I like to add a pinch of Carafa III.
I call it "Doc Jayjay's Authentic Bootyfinger Kölsch". As a semi-professional proctologist, I feel entitled to call it that.
OK, thanks, now I know how you coined the phrase "unsavory turd". I'll be able to sleep better tonight.....

Ron Pattinson, in his blog which was linked above, called anyone who disagrees with him or doesn't study beer history as much as he does, a homebrew twat.

My calling him an unsavory turd is in response to being called a twat, and was far less offensive.

Poor OP, little did he know what he started.
Ron Pattinson, in his blog which was linked above, called anyone who disagrees with him or doesn't study beer history as much as he does, a homebrew twat.

My calling him an unsavory turd is in response to being called a twat, and was far less offensive.
That's not how I read it, but all okay

Wow my thread is turning very funny... All I want is to brew a nice tasting beer... I am sure that it will turn awsome. I wrote the word KOLSCH because I have some of that yeast in stock.... I am sure it will be a good beer.

Please try to help me for my initial question or to come with others ideas than telling me it wont be a real KOLSCH... this is something I aready know.

Also grab a beer and take some deep breathes lol

Its clearly defined what an IPA is. But that didn’t stop people from changing it all around, clouding it up, adding flour to it, and all kinds of other stuff. This is just what homebrewers do. They add coco puffs, frosted flaked or waffles to beer too. I think sometimes just because they can. People have ideas and lets just say they are not all good ideas. Orange kolsch doesn’t sound too bad

AMEN.... I am able to brew according to beer style... I made many REAL Kolsch... what I like from brewing is to sometimes start from an idea that sounds good to me and try it... looks like many people are stiffer than me. I just maybe put two words together than doesnt sounds normal lol Orange Kolsch !

Wow my thread is turning very funny... All I want is to brew a nice tasting beer... I am sure that it will turn awsome. I wrote the word KOLSCH because I have some of that yeast in stock.... I am sure it will be a good beer.

Please try to help me for my initial question or to come with others ideas than telling me it wont be a real KOLSCH... this is something I aready know.

Also grab a beer and take some deep breathes lol
I brew a lot of Kölsch, sometimes with orange peel, sometimes with coriander and cardamom. IMO, if you use a light hand with the orange peel, the delicate flavors dance well together. I use 50/50 sweet and bitter orange peel, I also like the McCormick Seville orange peel, but my favorite is fresh zest from either navel oranges or those little cutie oranges.

I brew a lot of Kölsch, sometimes with orange peel, sometimes with coriander and cardamom. IMO, if you use a light hand with the orange peel, the delicate flavors dance well together. I use 50/50 sweet and bitter orange peel, I also like the McCormick Seville orange peel, but my favorite is fresh zest from either navel oranges or those little cutie oranges.

All right thanks for your help! It will definitly be helpful to me. CHEERS !

All this Kolsch talk has me thinking I should brew another one. Kolsch or Kolsch like the important thing is actually brewing a style of beer you like, even if it's not to style. Great read of the threads! Nice to see all the passion for beer styles.

Back