Orange Peel Tea for Witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
Hey all! I brewed a Witbier with old dried bitter orange peel. It really hasn't come through on this brew. The beer is kegged, carbed, and ready to go. However, it's missing that Orange flavor. Would it be ok if say I boiled a cup or two of campden treated water (we have chloramines so have to treat our water), steep fresh orange zest for a bit, strain with a sanitized paint strainer bag, then add the orange peel "tea" to the beer? My thinking it this would just be adding orange only which is missing and should fix the brew while sterilizing/sanitizing the peel and not involving any tinctures. Has anyone else tried this before?

If santized, this would work, but you can't predict the flavor impact for sure. I like the orange slice garnish idea better.

I have also just added a shot of triple sec before in secondary. There are some sugars that will ferment, but it is an easy short cut to adding a predictable orange flavor. I think adding t to the keg would be fine.

Back