Big beer - small batch: keeping efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suicid

Reaction score
Howdy folks.

Then I brew "full-size" 5-6gals hi-grav batches in my Grainfather 30L, I usually do reiterated mash and it keeps efficiency pretty good.

Now I'm thinking to make only 10L Belgian Quad batch. So there will be plenty of space for no sparge for example.
My question is should I do anything extra to keep efficiency high?

Thanks in advance!

Now I'm thinking to make only 10L Belgian Quad batch. So there will be plenty of space for no sparge for example.
My question is should I do anything extra to keep efficiency high?

If you're looking for the highest efficiency, don't do "no sparge."

If you're looking for the highest efficiency, don't do "no sparge."

What you would suggest then? Grain bill would be roughly 5 kg.
Thicker mash + sparge as usual? Reiterated mash? Something else?

What you would suggest then? Grain bill would be roughly 5 kg.
Thicker mash + sparge as usual? Reiterated mash? Something else?

I don't know what you can do with your system, but for mash efficiency in general...

Fly Sparge > Double Batch Sparge > Single Batch Sparge > No Sparge

You could also sparge with more water and then boil longer.

I'm not convinced on the homebrew scale that fly sparging is more efficient than batch sparging. Now, I'll admit off the bat I've never done a proper fly sparge, but I average 77% efficiency batch sparging (for average to slightly above average strength beers), and hit 81% a couple batches ago. Since this is more than sufficient for me, I never saw the need to try a fly sparge setup.

I'm not convinced on the homebrew scale that fly sparging is more efficient than batch sparging.

All other things being equal (same mash tun, etc.), a properly executed fly sparge certainly is more efficient than a batch sparge. The same laws of physics apply to homebrew mash/lauter tuns as to commercial ones. From a mash efficiency standpoint:

Fly Sparge > Triple Batch Sparge > Double Batch Sparge > Single Batch Sparge > No Sparge

Note I'm saying from a mash efficiency standpoint, and not necessarily a beer quality standpoint.

Now, I'll admit off the bat I've never done a proper fly sparge, but I average 77% efficiency batch sparging (for average to slightly above average strength beers), and hit 81% a couple batches ago. Since this is more than sufficient for me, I never saw the need to try a fly sparge setup.

Now that makes perfect sense. You're happy with your results batch sparging, so why take the extra time (and possibly expense for a sparge arm, HLT, etc) to fly sparge?

Back