Small batch on Brewzilla 3.5L

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyingpond

Reaction score
Anyone doing small batches in a Brewzilla 35L … 2.5 - 3 gallons? I’m debating between buying the Anvil 6.5 & Brewzilla 35L. On paper, I prefer the Brewzilla, but it may be a bit larger than I need. It is a very rare occasion that I brew more than 3-gallon batches. The Anvil 6.5 seems to be perfect for this size, and the Brewzilla 35L appears to be on the bubble of being able to do batches this small efficiently. I emailed Brewzilla to get their in put. This was the response I got: “We recommend a minimum batch size of 21L (5.5 gallons). This is something you can't really put a number on - too many variables. 10L (2.6 gallons) or so should be fine though.”

Can anyone out there share their experience with small-batch brewing on the Brewzilla? Maybe I should get the Anvil which seems to fit my needs well, and I’ve only heard good things about it. Any thoughts are welcome.

I have the Brewzilla gen 4 and have done 3 1/2 gallon batches in it (to fill 3 gallon kegs for serving) It works great and has become my preferred batch size. The Brewzilla has very little dead space under the malt pipe so I suspect you could probably go down to 1 gallon batches but I haven’t actually tried that.

Doing 10 liters batch (approx. 2.6 gallons) most of the time as I like to experiment and it works like a charm!

I'm doing 6 liter (1.6 US Gallon) batches for yeast starters and for Sauergut cultures. The smallest batch I've done so far is 3 liters (0.8 US Gallons). I don't think you can do less than that.

would you explain how you do small batches . the dead space is big on these all in ones. and i also would like to do 2 gallons sometimes for starters or small batches sometimes.

the dead space on mine is quite large . like over a gallon. so i got to put at least 2 gallons in there just to get some water in the basket. i prolly need at least 3 to cover the grains. i imagine you dont sparge with that small vol.

like if i wanted to make 2 gallons of 1046 wort it usually takes me about 3.5 lbs of grain. how much water would i start with in there. my aio is 35L .

Last edited:
would you explain how you do small batches . the dead space is big on these all in ones. and i also would like to do 2 gallons sometimes for starters or small batches sometimes.

the dead space on mine is quite large . like over a gallon. so i got to put at least 2 gallons in there just to get some water in the basket. i prolly need at least 3 to cover the grains. i imagine you dont sparge with that small vol.

like if i wanted to make 2 gallons of 1046 wort it usually takes me about 3.5 lbs of grain. how much water would i start with in there. my aio is 35L .
Are you sure the dead space is that big? I checked mine today and it's exactly 2.0 liters (0.53 US Gallons), It can do 0.8 US gallons at the very minimum (I've done it but would recommend going a little larger).

If your dead space is about half a gallon, then for 2 gallons of 1.046 gravity beer, I would use:

3.9 lb. grain;
Infuse it with 2.0 gallons of water;
Sparge it with 0.76 gallons water.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back