Best online recipe calculator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueflint

Reaction score
I have come across several online recipe calculators. What is everyone's opinion on them and which do they prefer and why?

Thanks, Tony

I am a fan of Beersmith and you can download a free trial version to use but IMO it is completely worth the $20+/- price tag. If ind it's user interface to be easy to navigate, comes loaded with most ingredients used and allows for simple modifications of recipes and creation from scratch including the ability to use percentages for grain bill calculations. I also find that most of their default values are pretty spot on. There is also the ability to track inventory and pricing of ingredients as well as brew sheets for brew day and a brew day timer for each recipe. The new version has a cloud feature now too so you can share and access your recipes anywhere through their website and online account.

Online: Brewology101.com, hopville.com (is promising, but going through an update right now)

PC & Linux: BrewTarget (Free)

Droid: BrewR - Beer Recipe Manager, Brewing Assistant (Reads from brewology101.com)

I use the tastybrew.com complete recipe calculator. When I get it nailed, I copy the page into a Word document. That becomes my brew sheet, with room for notes on water additions and such at the bottom.

:mug:

I am a fan of Beersmith and you can download a free trial version to use but IMO it is completely worth the $20+/- price tag. If ind it's user interface to be easy to navigate, comes loaded with most ingredients used and allows for simple modifications of recipes and creation from scratch including the ability to use percentages for grain bill calculations. I also find that most of their default values are pretty spot on. There is also the ability to track inventory and pricing of ingredients as well as brew sheets for brew day and a brew day timer for each recipe. The new version has a cloud feature now too so you can share and access your recipes anywhere through their website and online account.

I'm also a Beersmith advocate. It's a great software package that keeps track of everything from recipes to inventory to water profile.

Going strictly with the free online options I like Beer Calculus.

Beer Calculus is the free one that probably gets the most attention. I've been using the Beer Recipator for years and like it, even though it may not be the most up to date.

I mostly use Hopville.com and recently started to play with brewersfriend.com I get similar results with both of these, not exactly the same but close. I was just wondering what everyone else was using.

Tony

i have only used tastybrew, and it's satisfactory, free, easy to use. but you have to enter things in pounds and ounces, which i find infuriating, don't care what anyone's preference for measuring is, but it's just such a pain to do math in a non-decimal system. convert 3 pound 7 ounces or whatever into 3.x pounds and then convert back to kilos, forget it. so i bought beersmith. it's pretty cheap

I am a big fan of Beercalculus/Hopville. I was using it long before I bought beersmith. (The only reason I switched was really that at the time you couldn't save your recipes on Beercalculus, but six months later he added that ability and created the hopville site.

I still use it on occasion if I'm away from any of my computers that have beersmith on it.

I use the tastybrew.com complete recipe calculator. When I get it nailed, I copy the page into a Word document. That becomes my brew sheet, with room for notes on water additions and such at the bottom.

:mug:

Yes, this.

I have been using Tastybrew but I finally broke down and bought BeerSmith. I liked Tastybrew for making it "easy" for a "new-guy" and the only problem I had was they were coming out more alcoholic than planned... Probably something I could have fixed by changing the settings on eficeiency...

Back