swap citric for lactic acid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phbern

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
HI,

I have a recipe for a schwartzbier that calls for .035fl oz of lactic acid (88%). I only have citric acid on hand; can I use this instead? What amount? It's obviously a very tiny amount to begin with, but my recipe program (Grainfather) won't let me re-run the water calculations without it. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm not a beer brewer, I have no idea why you need to that small amount of lactic acid to beer. I asked chatgpt and it said that 1ml (.035floz) of pure lactic acid is comparable to about 1,6 grams of citric acid.

The problem with citric acid is that it does have a prominent flavor and aroma. With the small amount of acid needed, it may be possible to make that substitution and not have it affect your beer.

Thanks, everyone! I made some other adjustment to the recipe and water additions and didn't need the acid anymore. We'll see how it comes out in a couple months!

Back